• Topic Count:  74
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  541
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  64
  • Device:  Windows

I have used D'Addario NYXL 10's on my Gibson Les Paul for the last few months. I am really impressed with these strings. I played this set daily all winter long. The strings are still shiny and slick. The Les Paul still comes out of the case in tune, and I do a lot of bends. The NYXL definitely lasts much longer than the standard D'Addario 10's which I used for years. 

• Like 4

• Member ID:  13
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  304
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  16
  • Birthday:  10/03/1947

Thanks for the review Randy. I’ve been having some doubts about my GHS boomers lately. I think I will give them a try.

• Like 1

• Member ID:  4
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  490
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Days Won:  65

The D'Addario NY Steel acoustic strings are great as well. I have been using the coated phosphor bronze (EXP26) on a couple of my acoustics and really like them a lot.

• Like 3

• Member ID:  7
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  212
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  7

@Randy120 I like the NYXL's because they seem more flexible then the Elixers that I have tried, which makes them easier to bend.  @Dave White I have tried the acoustic version and don't like them as well.  I usually use the Martin SP on my acoustics.  

Last time I had @Greg Voros set up my Martin he put DR strings on it.  They are ok but not as flexible as I like. 

• Like 2

• Member ID:  5
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Content Count:  1,077
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  166

4 hours ago, Randy120 said:

I have used D'Addario NYXL 10's on my Gibson Les Paul for the last few months. I am really impressed with these strings. I played this set daily all winter long. The strings are still shiny and slick. The Les Paul still comes out of the case in tune, and I do a lot of bends. The NYXL definitely lasts much longer than the standard D'Addario 10's which I used for years. 

Thanks for the comments. I have a set waiting to string my ES137. How do you find the tone? Bright? Medium? Mellow? How about sustain? I was looking for a Jazz tone without going as "dark" as the D'Addario Chrome Flat wounds that I have on my Godin Archtop (like them)

• Member ID:  16
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  218
  • Device:  Macintosh

Wow,  subjective impressions can really come in at opposite poles.

I was a long time DR Pure Blues user, and decided to try the NYXL's when they came out, and to me they felt like high tension wires compared to the Pure Blues.  They are long lasting no doubt.  That also gave me pause, as I worry the composition of NYXL's might be harder on the frets than other strings. So, it was one and done on NYXL's for me.

I am currently using the Ernie Ball Pure Nickels and find them very similar to DR's.  I still like the DR's but my local family owned Music store didn't carry them, but do have the Slinky's. So I just went with the ones I can get locally when I fail to order a batch online.

• Member ID:  3
  • Content Count:  131
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  04/15/1950

I use the D'Addario strings on my SG. I love them, they sound great. I have a set of D'Addario on my Yamaha acoustic as well. On my Martin, I use their Retro strings.

• Member ID:  243
  • Followers:  1

19 hours ago, NeilES335 said:

Thanks for the comments. I have a set waiting to string my ES137. How do you find the tone? Bright? Medium? Mellow? How about sustain? I was looking for a Jazz tone without going as "dark" as the D'Addario Chrome Flat wounds that I have on my Godin Archtop (like them)

I would say the NYXL tone is not different from the standard 10's. As for Jazz I would think a flat-wound might be a better choice. I usually look at what the manufacturer uses then buy a string based on that. I've had good experience with D'Addario strings so I keep using them.  

• Thanks 1

• Member ID:  81
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  73
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  05/16/1958

I used the NYXLs for a couple of years, I've since changed to the Ernie Ball Paradigm strings. 

• Member ID:  15
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  239
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  11/12/1962

I use Ernie ball strings . for the simple fact price . tried others and see no differents. There  is only a few manufacturing plants in the us.  so some string companies sell the same strings , Just a diffrent name and package. I dont think Fender And Gibson Makes there own strings. Martin and D;addario strings acoustic strings are alike  because D;addario  sold martin there machines in 1969. Daddario is the world largest string company. 

• Like 1

• Member ID:  110
  • Content Count:  67
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  04/02/1969

I love the NYXL strings.  I spent two days changing strings a couple of weekends ago and changed almost all of my guitars to NYXLs (until I ran out).  :)  They are my favorite strings right now.  The only other set I've been impressed with lately is a set I got from Stringjoy.

• Like 1

• Member ID:  6
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Content Count:  1,056
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  150
  • Birthday:  12/14/1960

When Neil told me he bought NYXL strings I happened to be in a store looking at strings.

The package did not say a whole bunch on it. But on a pack of XL10 it had a string brightness range and it showed the NYXL as really bright strings over the regular XL.

Remember to hang on the the plastic bag the strings came in.

There is a production number on it. Any troubles email Daddario with the production run 

I had the ball end snap off as I restrung.  They sent me 4 new E's and a full pack

• Like 4

• Member ID:  14
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  529
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  09/26/1951
  • Device:  iPhone

I use NYXL's also on most of my guitars now. I do use PR- provided strings on my PRS'S. I believe they are D'Addario strings as well, not certain of variety. I use them because I have 12 month supplies provide by PRS when I bought the guitars, a promotional thing.

Greg

• Like 1

• Member ID:  12
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  184
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  177
  • Birthday:  07/19/1948

4 hours ago, bwillard said:

I spent two days changing strings a couple of weekends ago and changed almost all of my guitars to NYXLs (until I ran out).  :) 

Ben, I can understand how it would take two days for you to change out strings on most of your guitars!!!;)

I switched to D'Addario NYXL's many months ago, maybe over a year ago.  Only because I was having a set-up done.  The guy asked me what strings and I asked him what he recommended.  He answered that he had been recommending NYXL's for some time.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2018 at 12:32 PM, Eracer_Team-DougH said:

When Neil told me he bought NYXL strings I happened to be in a store looking at strings.

The package did not say a whole bunch on it. But on a pack of XL10 it had a string brightness range and it showed the NYXL as really bright strings over the regular XL.

Remember to hang on the the plastic bag the strings came in.

There is a production number on it. Any troubles email Daddario with the production run 

I had the ball end snap off as I restrung.  They sent me 4 new E's and a full pack

Finally got around to changing the strings on my ES137... I hesitated wondering what tone I'd get. The NYXL's  did install quite easily and tuned up very well and kept their tune right away with out constant re-tuning. 

First impressions; Really bright!.... Not what I was after really. I was looking for something more mellow, but not quite as mellow as the DAddario Chrome Flat wounds, that I have on my Godin archtop. My wife ( who has really great hearing.) could tell the difference right away. She says there was more string noise too...

And yes, they are brighter than the XL's which I have on my ES335.  The NYXL's aren't bad, just not for me really. I'll leave them on a while and see if the "play in" a bit  (the XL's are pretty good now their played in a few months) 

I was influenced by all the rave reviews I'd seen and heard on YouTube etc. But in the end it's a matter of personal preference , the style of music you play, and the instrument you install them on.

As Doug says, there is no guide on the package like their other string models.. It would have helped me make a better choice for my taste.. (they cost about double of similar strings too :-( )  Live and learn...

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• Member ID:  275
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  213
  • Days Won:  11
  • Birthday:  07/17/1979
  • Device:  Macintosh

I got a set of NYXLs from my tech as a promotion a while back. (They had a free restrings promotion one Saturday morning) I liked the strings and they lasted a long time. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The NYXL strings are still going strong over 6 months of daily use. They look like the standard 10's look after a month. The sound is still good. The guitar is getting dirty, but the strings still have miles to go. 

• Member ID:  72
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  126
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  3

The lead guitar player in Band X , a local well known band turned me on to these strings. He swears by them for sound, durability, and overall quality including non breakage. 

• Like 1

On 3/19/2018 at 12:54 PM, NeilES335 said:

Finally got around to changing the strings on my ES137... I hesitated wondering what tone I'd get. The NYXL's  did install quite easily and tuned up very well and kept their tune right away with out constant re-tuning. 

First impressions; Really bright!.... Not what I was after really. I was looking for something more mellow, but not quite as mellow as the DAddario Chrome Flat wounds, that I have on my Godin archtop. My wife ( who has really great hearing.) could tell the difference right away. She says there was more string noise too...

And yes, they are brighter than the XL's which I have on my ES335.  The NYXL's aren't bad, just not for me really. I'll leave them on a while and see if the "play in" a bit  (the XL's are pretty good now their played in a few months) 

I was influenced by all the rave reviews I'd seen and heard on YouTube etc. But in the end it's a matter of personal preference , the style of music you play, and the instrument you install them on.

As Doug says, there is no guide on the package like their other string models.. It would have helped me make a better choice for my taste.. (they cost about double of similar strings too :-( )  Live and learn...

So I decided to email D"Addario about my experience. It was my choice,  but I just wanted to suggest they put the guide on the package, so others would make the best choice for their needs. They were kind to email me back and say sorry for the hassle... can we send you a complimentary set of Chromes? Ah... sure! Thanks to George Santos; Customer Service at D"Addario.  (now that's customer relations ;-)

• Like 2

@NeilES335 The NYXL may not be the ideal choice for an ES 137 especially if you are looking more for a vintage warm sound. But that doesn't mean they are not excellent electric guitar strings. 

Another thing I forgot to mention is my 2009 Gibson Les Paul Studio still comes out of the case in tune everyday. I need to make a minor adjustment on one or two strings on the worst day. I pulled the guitar out yesterday and again put the tuner away. I am bending and using vibrato everyday on this guitar while I work on soloing so staying in tune is a strong indication of high performance. I have not heard a single incident of string ping since I started using the NYXL strings months ago. I will definitely buy NYXL strings again in the future. 

• 3 weeks later...

On 4/20/2018 at 7:33 PM, NeilES335 said:

So I decided to email D"Addario about my experience. It was my choice,  but I just wanted to suggest they put the guide on the package, so others would make the best choice for their needs. They were kind to email me back and say sorry for the hassle... can we send you a complimentary set of Chromes? Ah... sure! Thanks to George Santos; Customer Service at D"Addario.  (now that's customer relations ?

Just a comment; my complimentary strings did show up in the mail as promised. Nice to see a company that looks after it's customers. (George followed up with an email too...:-)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After reading the comments about the NYXL strings for the past few months I took the plunge and installed a set of NYXL balanced tension 10 - 46 strings on my PRS Santana. I had been using the Ernie Ball Paradigm strings (9's) which were at the end of their life.

First impression, like that of many other users was, "Wow, these strings are bright" but not an overly harsh brightness. I found that much of the brightness could be controlled with the guitar's tone controls (Knob or pickups) or with the amp settings. The notes ring very clear with what appears to me to be slightly more sustain.

As for the balanced tension, the D'Addario promo states, " ... differences in string tension can contribute to players altering their techniques, consciously or subconsciously, to compensate for these variances." So far my fingertips cannot sense the difference between these and normal tension strings. My fingertips really like the 10's which are not as loosey goosey as the 9's were.

It has only been a few days but colour me impressed. Time will tell.

Henk

• Like 1

On 5/20/2018 at 7:05 AM, Oldjock said:

After reading the comments about the NYXL strings for the past few months I took the plunge and installed a set of NYXL balanced tension 10 - 46 strings on my PRS Santana. I had been using the Ernie Ball Paradigm strings (9's) which were at the end of their life.

Henk

Henk, which PRS Santana do you have?  SE Santana?  Santana Retro?  (I'm whispering so my wife won't hear?).  I'm thinking the next guitar may be a Santana.  It will be a while but when I get close I may pm you and pick your brain. 

Ron, mine is the PRS SE Santana. I wish for the Signature or Retro but this is my first electric guitar. Before committing a lot of $$$ I wanted to be sure the electric would be a direction I could enjoy. For the money this is a beautiful sounding guitar with a short scale. I am playing it more than my acoustics. After reading about your experience with the semi-hollow, I am getting twinges of gas.

Henk

• Like 1

@Oldjock, Henk  I've heard nothing but great things about the PRS SE Sanana's.  And, yeah, I am loving the Hollow Body.