• Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  97
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  10/10/1961

This is a short video of extracts from a cocktail reception I play recently. I am just posting it to give anyone interested an idea of the level of playing and the type of gear you need to get started. Wedding guitar is my bread and butter, without it I couldn’t survive as a solo guitarist. This is my 4th year playing weddings and I am now getting bookings upto  2 years in advance. I have a repertoire of 100ish songs and although I rarely do it, I can play for upto 5 hours without repeating a song. A typical wedding would be play for 10 to 15mins as guests arrive, play something for the Bridesmaids entrance, something special for the Brides entrance, some background music for the candle lighting, something special for the register signing and then the exit. I usually have to pack up and beat the party back to wherever the cocktails are going to be and because this is often tight I usually do the setup before I go to the Ceremony. That way I just run in with my guitar plug in and start playing. Sometimes couples are very particular about all the music and send me a full playlist, but that would be rare, it’s normally just 2 to 6 songs that they want for particular parts of the ceremony. If they want a song that isn’t on my list I ask for at least 3 months notice. If they want more than one that I don’t know I charge extra for arrangement and practice. Occasionally I am asked to play for the Ceremony, Cocktails and dinner and that can keep me on site for up to 8 hours with the set up and packing, but normally it’s just Ceremony and Cocktails and that takes an average of 4-5 hours. In order to do 2 complete setups I need to have a lot of gear and because this is a sunny coastal area and most weddings are outdoors, one of the setups needs to be completely battery powered. (Sometimes the nearest powerpoint is 500 meters away). I could go on for a long time but if you are interested ask a question and I will answer as best I can.

PS until just before I got the L&mg course I could just about accompany myself on 3 songs. I have been studying for about 8 years and started playing weddings after 4. I’m 58 so I started weddings at 54. You don’t have toa super player just solid in your repertoire.

here is a picture of the rig I used at the wedding in the video. CFC4030F-BE08-4323-B721-A10A9828F82A.thumb.png.43dfde6c616a6cbf76e3c547e9062e82.pngI hope this is of interest to someone and if you have a question just ask. 

Thank you, Mark.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• Member ID:  4
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  490
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Days Won:  65
  • Device:  Windows

Mark - this is great - thanks for posting!

• Thanks 1

• Member ID:  14
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  529
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  09/26/1951
  • Device:  iPhone

Awesome Mark! What a wonderful and inspiring review of your musical pursuits. Perhaps sometime you can expand on the steps of the journey you took in the last 8 years from novice dabbler to professional artist. I , for one, would find that story fascinating. Thanks for sharing.

Greg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Member ID:  104
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  299
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  9

Wow, excellent post Mark.

I think that there are plenty of people who may not have considered doing the guitar music for weddings. Your post will not only bring this to their attention but it will give them a great idea of what is required and what it is like to do it. 

The second thing that I want to say is .... Well done Mark! ?? ???? I never knew anything about when you learnt to play or how the course helped you. Your story is superb and I can appreciate all of the work that you have put into your guitar playing even more. Wow 100ish songs! That is a lot of songs to have a) learnt  and  b) keep fresh in you mind.

• Like 1

• Member ID:  12
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  184
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Days Won:  177
  • Birthday:  07/19/1948

Mark, thank you for this helpful, informative post.  I think any one that is considering, or may consider, playing guitar at weddings will be grateful for this very considered information.

• Thanks 1

• Member ID:  243
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  541
  • Days Won:  64

@mark_h Good to know. I have a ways to go before I could pull up 100 songs from memory. 

• Thanks 1

• Member ID:  6
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Content Count:  1,056
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  150
  • Birthday:  12/14/1960

that's quite the accomplishment .. I'm certainly nowhere near that. and you're making a living from it.

couldn't ask for a better dream I guess.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

• Member ID:  9
  • Group:  Moderators
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Content Count:  820
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Achievement Points:  1
  • Days Won:  212
  • Birthday:  01/01/1953
  • Device:  Macintosh

What an inspiring story, Mark. I'm with Greg: I'd like to hear more about how you progressed toward playing professionally.

• Thanks 1

• Member ID:  297

12 hours ago, Nutty1 said:

Wow, excellent post Mark.

I think that there are plenty of people who may not have considered doing the guitar music for weddings. Your post will not only bring this to their attention but it will give them a great idea of what is required and what it is like to do it. 

The second thing that I want to say is .... Well done Mark! ?? ???? I never knew anything about when you learnt to play or how the course helped you. Your story is superb and I can appreciate all of the work that you have put into your guitar playing even more. Wow 100ish songs! That is a lot of songs to have a) learnt  and  b) keep fresh in you mind.

Thank you Mandy, 

i wasn’t sure if anyone would be interested in the topic, but it seems some are. The song list just grows naturally as couples ask for more tunes. Some are fairly easy to remember and only need to be play once a week or so, but others need to played every 2 or 3 days or parts of them need to be relearned.

thanks again, Mark 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Randy120 said:

@mark_h Good to know. I have a ways to go before I could pull up 100 songs from memory. 

Thanks Randy, 

i offer the ceremony, cocktail reception and dinner as options and so need a lot of tunes, but some guitarists only do ceremonies and have a song list of only 12 to 20 pieces. I only had  25 to start with. 

Mark

• Like 1

• Member ID:  5
  • Content Count:  1,077
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  166
  • Device:  Android

@mark_h Thats great Mark that you made a business out of doing something you love and obviously do very well.  I was wonering... What actual gear ie PA, amp, etc do you use? Do you use backing tracks or just go solo on everything?

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, gotto said:

Awesome Mark! What a wonderful and inspiring review of your musical pursuits. Perhaps sometime you can expand on the steps of the journey you took in the last 8 years from novice dabbler to professional artist. I , for one, would find that story fascinating. Thanks for sharing.

Greg

Thank you Greg and Diane,

I’m afraid that the story is not all that exciting. ? I have always loved guitar but never had the time to practice. About 10 years ago my wife set up a business doing Bridal hair and make up for English speaking wedding parties getting married in Spain. I helped her with the setup and over a couple of years it became very successful. Successful enough so that I could take some time off to do something I loved. So I started studying guitar. Most of the first while was spent trawling through the internet and picking up bits and pieces of songs until eventually I found the L&MG course. I spent about six months on it and it really helped focus me on my weaknesses.eventually I had to except that I was never going to be a sight reader, no matter how much time I put in it just never got  above a very basic level. So I just started learning pieces by rote and practicing technique. This is where I had an advantage that most people don’t , my wife gave me the support and space to dedicate 6 - 10 hours a day every day for about 2 years. As soon as I could bang out a couple of blues tunes I went and played at local jams and every opportunity I got to play in public I took it no matter how scary. I was finding it hard to push myself and one of my wife’s wedding planners heard me play and suggested I play at weddings. So I bought a book called popular wedding tunes for solo guitar and started learning them bar by painful bar. ? after a couple of months I had Cannon in D, Air on a G string, the bridal march, and a few other classical pieces and about 20 other songs under my fingers and I got my first booking through my website. That first wedding was an eye opener. After they booked me they asked for 3 songs not on my list, luckily they gave me 3 months notice and I figured out how to find solo guitar versions of songs on YouTube and learn them by watching, listening and changing whatever was too hard for me. That first  wedding was a terrifying experience, but the couple were happy and I got paid. The first year I did 5 the next 16, last year 27, and this season I am booked for 58 but I’m still getting bookings for Sept and Oct. I have 82 booked for next year so far and 6 for 2020. I got popular with wedding planners because I never say no, always arrive 2 hours before the ceremony, dress appropriately,  always have replacement gear, and my PAs are all white. Weddings are not performance gigs, it’s more like film music setting the mood, the tone and pace is more important than everything being perfect. I make lots of mistakes but I never lose the pace and my PA and nylon string make everything sound sweet. It’s a lot of smoke and mirrors when it comes to ceremonies, playing the melody, with some nice reverb and delay, a little more slowly than you think it should be played is all that’s needed to get everyone crying and that’s the objective. ? it used to take me a week to get a new tune under my fingers, now it usually takes 3 to 4 hours, maybe 2 days for a really hard one. I still find pieces that are too hard for me so I have learned to change them to suit my abilities. 

I am rambling now! Anyway, what I started out to say was; the biggest leap in my playing happened when I decided that I was a professional player. No one will ever give you permission, you have to just decide that that’s what you are. I still cringe when I see myself on YouTube but I get lots of bookings from those videos. It doesn’t matter how good you think you are, only that people like what they hear.

thanks for the interest, Mark.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, NeilES335 said:

@mark_h Thats great Mark that you made a business out of doing something you love and obviously do very well.  I was wonering... What actual gear ie PA, amp, etc do you use? Do you use backing tracks or just go solo on everything?

Thanks Neil,

those are really important questions. It took me a while to figure out what gear was best for these type of situations.

my main rig is a white Maui 28 line array system, you can see it in the photo above. Line arrays use multiple speakers in a column and a subwoofer, to project sound over distance with very little volume loss. This means that even though it can be heard 100 feet away, when you stand in front of it the volume is bearable. I use it with a beringer xenyx 1204 usb mixer, which gives a lot of input possibilities and onboard FX. My other system is a battery powered Ibiza portable PA with 12inch speaker, also in white.  I use a Boss RC3 looper, a passive volume pedal and a Boss FSU 6 AB switch pedal. 

When I started out it was important to me that everything I played was live on one guitar. Then I grew up, ? the only thing that counts is that the couple get the day they planned so I added the RC3 for two reasons. I have an allergy to wasp stings and blow up within 5 mins, I am constantly working outdoors and it is inevitable that at some point I would be stung just before a wedding, so I prerecord the main ceremony  songs on the RC3 in case I can’t play. I also wanted to be able to play both rythmn and lead on some tunes so the RC3 allows me to lay down the rhythm part live and play over it. I use it for things like “Shape of my heart”, “still got the blues”, “Stormy Monday” and “phearon”. 

The volume pedal is a must, as it kills the guitar as soon as I stop playing. There is nothing worse than banging the guitar strings by accident during a church ceremony!

the FSU 6 gives greater control over the RC3. When I am playing over one of my rhythm tracks I need to be able to kill it with one tap and continue the rhythm myself to end.

if you still have any questions let me know.

PS I use a €200 nylon string with a fishman system in it. It was 104F in the shade when I was playing the cocktail reception in the video. It’s hard on guitars so I don’t use an expensive one.

Mark 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Member ID:  49
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  247
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  16
  • Birthday:  08/01/1965

@mark_h This is a fascinating read, and quite inspirational! Thanks for sharing.

Ian

• Thanks 1

• Member ID:  14
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  529
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  09/26/1951

3 hours ago, IanD said:

@mark_h This is a fascinating read, and quite inspirational! Thanks for sharing.

Ian

I agree. This is a nice testimony to the dedication required to advance to the professional level and the outcomes are quite evident when I listen to Mark's exquisite performances. Kudos to you Mark,  and to your wife who gave you the encouragement and support to fulfill your dream. Thanks for sharing your story.

Greg

Edited by gotto
  • Like 1

• Member ID:  5
  • Content Count:  1,077
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  166
  • Device:  Android

14 hours ago, mark_h said:

Thanks Neil,

those are really important questions. It took me a while to figure out what gear was best for these type of situations.

my main rig is a white Maui 28 line array system, you can see it in the photo above. Line arrays use multiple speakers in a column and a subwoofer, to project sound over distance with very little volume loss. This means that even though it can be heard 100 feet away, when you stand in front of it the volume is bearable. I use it with a beringer xenyx 1204 usb mixer, which gives a lot of input possibilities and onboard FX. My other system is a battery powered Ibiza portable PA with 12inch speaker, also in white.  I use a Boss RC3 looper, a passive volume pedal and a Boss FSU 6 AB switch pedal. 

When I started out it was important to me that everything I played was live on one guitar. Then I grew up, ? the only thing that counts is that the couple get the day they planned so I added the RC3 for two reasons. I have an allergy to wasp stings and blow up within 5 mins, I am constantly working outdoors and it is inevitable that at some point I would be stung just before a wedding, so I prerecord the main ceremony  songs on the RC3 in case I can’t play. I also wanted to be able to play both rythmn and lead on some tunes so the RC3 allows me to lay down the rhythm part live and play over it. I use it for things like “Shape of my heart”, “still got the blues”, “Stormy Monday” and “phearon”. 

The volume pedal is a must, as it kills the guitar as soon as I stop playing. There is nothing worse than banging the guitar strings by accident during a church ceremony!

the FSU 6 gives greater control over the RC3. When I am playing over one of my rhythm tracks I need to be able to kill it with one tap and continue the rhythm myself to end.

if you still have any questions let me know.

PS I use a €200 nylon string with a fishman system in it. It was 104F in the shade when I was playing the cocktail reception in the video. It’s hard on guitars so I don’t use an expensive one.

Mark 

Thanks for the reply Mark... I see you have put a lot of thought and practice into this, and that's why you're popular and get the jobs...  I thought you're set up looked something like this  equipment (maybe a European version ) https://www.long-mcquade.com/2383/Pro-Audio---Recording/PA-Speaker-Cabinets/Bose-Professional-Products/L1-Compact--Portable-Line-Array.htm

• Member ID:  9
  • Group:  Moderators
  • Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  820
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Achievement Points:  1
  • Days Won:  212
  • Birthday:  01/01/1953

Mark, thanks so much for the back story. There are some valuable lessons in there: the long hours of practice, playing even when you're scared, having a backup plan, playing through mistakes but staying in time, and knowing your role for the occasion. That's a professional. Well done! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NeilES335 said:

Thanks for the reply Mark... I see you have put a lot of thought and practice into this, and that's why you're popular and get the jobs...  I thought you're set up looked something like this  equipment (maybe a European version ) https://www.long-mcquade.com/2383/Pro-Audio---Recording/PA-Speaker-Cabinets/Bose-Professional-Products/L1-Compact--Portable-Line-Array.htm

10 hours ago, NeilES335 said:

Hi Neil,

My unit is a lot like that one, but it’s the older version of this one:

https://www.amazon.com/LD-Systems-LDMAUI28G2W-MAUI-Bluetooth/dp/B071R7HCPC/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1533886550&sr=1-1&keywords=maui+28+white&dpID=31suhbgi9OL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

they don’t do the Bose in white and LD has more speakers. The downside is the weight. I need a trolley for the base unit. When it’s time to replace it I’ll go for the new LD Maui 5 go, it puts out nearly the same db in a much lighter, battery powered unit. I’ve used my unit for weddings with 200 people outdoors, in 110 degree heat and it performs perfectly. I think it being white is both appropriate, and helps keep it cooler.

thanks for asking,

Mark

• Member ID:  65
  • Content Count:  102
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  11/27/1946

Nice story and encouragement.  The "mark" of a true professional!  Thanks for the details .  F

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  355
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  26
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  1

I really enjoyed your web site and story Mark. Also you have a great song list. I played my sons wedding a few years ago and they picked out all the songs. I did go get some lessons and learned a few classical pieces. One thing learned from my teacher was that to keep the bridal walk simple and short. I did cannon in D and had some crazy arrangement that my teacher said was way too long. He was correct in that I didn’t even get thru it and the preache signaled me too cut it short.

I did all you need is love for the brides maids walking in, cannon d for the bride March and here comes the sun when everyone was leaving. I used a martin and a fishman amp and got a pretty good sound. 

I always wanted to do more so your story is a great example of how to focus and provides a great song list. Very nice vids.

Tom

• Like 1

• Member ID:  72
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  126
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  3

Great post Mark.. yes you are an inspiration and see.. LMG helped along the way.. So does Steve get a cut? 

• Haha 1

On 8/21/2018 at 8:41 PM, Tom M said:

I really enjoyed your web site and story Mark. Also you have a great song list. I played my sons wedding a few years ago and they picked out all the songs. I did go get some lessons and learned a few classical pieces. One thing learned from my teacher was that to keep the bridal walk simple and short. I did cannon in D and had some crazy arrangement that my teacher said was way too long. He was correct in that I didn’t even get thru it and the preache signaled me too cut it short.

I did all you need is love for the brides maids walking in, cannon d for the bride March and here comes the sun when everyone was leaving. I used a martin and a fishman amp and got a pretty good sound. 

I always wanted to do more so your story is a great example of how to focus and provides a great song list. Very nice vids.

Tom

Thanks Tom, you are very kind. It sounds like you did a great job and got some on the job training too. I tend to work the same venues each season and have learned how long the Brides walk is in each one, all my arrangements have to end within a few seconds of the bride arriving at the front. So I know exactly what you mean. ?  

Mark

15 hours ago, columbo said:

Great post Mark.. yes you are an inspiration and see.. LMG helped along the way.. So does Steve get a cut? 

Thanks Ron, I recommend the course to everyone who asks about my playing, so in a way he does. ?

Mark