• Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  192
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  37
  • Birthday:  07/07/1959
  • Device:  Macintosh

Has anyone checked out any new Gibson electrics lately? I know the company has had quite a bit of turmoil in the last year or so, and I'm wondering if their current product line quality has suffered. Thinking of adding an LP to the stable, but also considering a PRS.

Thanks,

Mike

• Member ID:  12
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  184
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  177
  • Birthday:  07/19/1948
  • Device:  Windows

Mike,

I can't answer about Gibson QC.  I haven't dealt with Gibson for a couple years now nor really heard anything. 

But if you are considering a PRS I can not rave about their QC enough.  And if you want the closest to a LP in tone and similar feel look at their model called a McCarty 594.   Ted McCarty actually left Gibson and consulted with PRS to design the guitar.   The 594 refers to the 24.594" scale length, a nod to LP scale length, and the pickup selection switch has been moved to horn to be more familiar to LP players.

I don't own one and it will be a while before I buy another guitar, just buying the Santana.   But if I look at another one the 594 will be the top of my shopping list.  Every review I've read raves about them.  One I read said the 594 is the guitar Gibson would make if they had continued improving the Les Paul.

Enjoy shopping!

• Member ID:  6
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  1,053
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  144
  • Birthday:  12/14/1960
  • Device:  iPhone

If you're relying on GC online delivery I'd say save your money 

Because GC has a pretty good return policy in first handful of days,  I read about people return , return return, and everyone of those returns gets put back up as new.

When the stores open, go in and find the one that talks to you

Also reading on the Gibson forum some of the returns are for ridiculous reasons 

• Member ID:  16
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  218
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  16

5 hours ago, Mike Hoodenpyle said:

Has anyone checked out any new Gibson electrics lately? I know the company has had quite a bit of turmoil in the last year or so, and I'm wondering if their current product line quality has suffered. Thinking of adding an LP to the stable, but also considering a PRS.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,

I also haven't shopped recent Gibson production so can't offer an opinion but I can give a couple of alternatives you may consider besides looking at used Gibby's

Heritage Guitars are built in the old Gibson factory in Kalamazoo and are really nice looking LP style guitars.  Their quality seems both high and consistent.

https://heritageguitars.com

Another option is Corsa Guitars.  Corsa started out doing mods on Les Paul Faded Standards aimed at the "Peter Green" tone.  They upgrade with top of the line hardware and their own pickups. Many models will have a push pull knob for the Peter Green out of phase tone.  Corsa maintains the thin finish on the fadededs makes them the best sounding Gibsons.  They have chambered bodies so are also very light for Les Pauls.   When Gibson stopped producing the Standard Faded Corsa started building guitars from scratch so you can have a fully custom Les Paul where you choose the body block and neck carve for less that a Gibson Historic.  I had a chance to buy a Corsa that had been owned by Steve Miller for a not insane price, but I didn't know what they were until too late.  They also get trade in Gibsons or find Fadeds to mod so they have used Corsa modded Gibsons for sale from time to time.

https://corsaguitars.com

Like matonanjin I can't say anything but good about PRS either.

• Member ID:  1,285
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  42
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  3

In Europe, Eastman guitars have really gotten popular as Gibson alternatives. From what I've

heard you're getting custom shop quality for around $2500.

https://guitar.com/review/eastman-antique-varnish-sb59v/

Edited by Magnit
  • Like 1

Let's just say I love the tone of my Gibson Les Paul. But I did buy it from the store used, but it was older and used, tone got me, not a choice of build qc

Heritage Guitars is close to being sued by Gibson for contract infringement. They're breaking their 1982 contract

This keeps popping up on my Facebook,  don't know much about them but seem like a quality build

https://deanzelinsky.com

I still say hold tight, wait till the stores open and hold the one you love

• Member ID:  16
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  218
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

6 minutes ago, Eracer_Team-DougH said:

Let's just say I love the tone of my Gibson Les Paul. But I did buy it from the store used, but it was older and used, tone got me, not a choice of build qc

Heritage Guitars is close to being sued by Gibson for contract infringement. They're breaking their 1982 contract

This keeps popping up on my Facebook,  don't know much about them but seem like a quality build

https://deanzelinsky.com

I still say hold tight, wait till the stores open and hold the one you love

I'd heard the new Management of Gibson was going down the "Sue them" path yet again, suing Heritage among others.  

I seriously doubt it will come to much and Heritage certainly disagree with the notion they are breaking any agreement as they have sued Gibson.

https://guitar.com/news/gibson-sued-by-heritage/

Edited by Six String

• Member ID:  1,660
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  120
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Achievement Points:  1
  • Days Won:  27
  • Birthday:  12/12/1957

I am hoping that Gibson has a handle on their quality control.   But it takes a while to overcome all of the bad user experiences particularly in today’s connected world.      I bought my first electric last November at a Guitar Center in Nashville.   When I asked the store clerk for an opinion, he said that overall they saw better quality from the imported PRS guitars than Nashville built Gibson’s.    So now I have a PRS SE Custom 24.     I still want an ES 335 and it will most certainly be a Gibson, but I plan to take my time and may look for a good used one at Gruhns.        If you haven’t seen them Gibson has a good series on their manufacturing process on Gibson TV.    I’m sure this is an effort to bolster their quality image but it does give you some insight on how they are made.   

• Member ID:  33
  • Topic Count:  20

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I've been thinking about a CE 24 for about a year now, so I may go that route instead of a Gibson. Also considering a 594 Singlecut, which would obviously be more similar to an LP than the CE. I wasn't aware of Eastman, so I'll look into those as well. I've played some SEs when checking out amps, so I've seen the PRS build quality on their imports. Nice guitars. Haven't tried a CE or S2, though. I'm not in a big hurry, so I'll definitely check them out in person. I read somewhere the other day that GC is now open in San Antonio, with restrictions on the number of customers in the store,  so hopefully I can check out more guitars soon.

Thanks again,

Mike

Thursday May 14

TOMORROW, PRS Guitars goes live with a Virtual Clinic starring PRS Factory Representative Mike Robb and featuring a special guest appearance by Paul Reed Smith himself. We'll be there to talk about our hand-selected Wood Library and Private Stock models, as well as new PRS Guitars for 2020 and more! It’s an event unlike any other, and it’s only right here, TOMORROW, at 5:00 PM CT! Join Zoom Meeting
https://bit.ly/2Lpu1Hy

Meeting ID: 852 3662 9401
Password: 941454

• Like 1

And then earlier in the day, Corey Congilio, David Grissom and Tony McManus are going to talk about PRS guitars in a TrueFire live stream.  It is at 3 PM ET.

I received this in an email from Corey the day b4 yesterday:

"Hi all!

I’ll be performing on no less than 4 livestreams this week!

I host my own Lunchtime Lessons livestream on my YouTube channel every Thursday at 2pm EST. This week I’ll be focusing on "Blues By Yourself!" I’ll give you some tips on how to play rhythm and lead ideas while performing solo.

Immediately after my broadcast, be sure to jump over to TrueFire.com’s YouTube channel to catch me for a special PRS Guitars edition of their livestream. I’ll be joining other PRS artists David Grissom and Tony McManus to discuss what we’re up to and our love of PRS Guitars! "

Funny how we converted this thread from "What's Gibson QC like"

To hey look at this web broadcasting of PRS 

Lol

@matonanjin sadly at 2pm est I'll be at work in a room with no windows and 200 laptops. 

• Member ID:  5
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,076
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  166

Yes indeed..... Come on guys. Let's stick to the topic or create another.   The site police.... Neil

• Like 1

• Member ID:  1,556
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  20
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  1

Tim Pierce definitely loves a PRS, but his videos are great and he actually makes good points about what he likes rather than just saying "I like this one better".  Video is worth a watch, and the one where he compares the Silver Sky to an original '65 Strat is great too. 

One thing that is unimpeachable is PRS's quality control, particularly on USA line.

Edited by S Bach
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/12/2020 at 1:53 PM, Mike Hoodenpyle said:

On 5/14/2020 at 12:10 PM, NeilES335 said:

Yes indeed..... Come on guys. Let's stick to the topic or create another.   The site police.... Neil

In @Eracer_Team-DougH and my defense, Mike did say he was also considering a PRS.  And he later said he is considering a CE 24 or a 594 SC.  So Doug and I perhaps took it a little bit tangential with the web broadcasts but still relevant.

So let's not get the moderators (site police) involved.  I'm sure that you have figured out the mods on this site are real jerks!

• 2 weeks later...

On 5/12/2020 at 1:53 PM, Mike Hoodenpyle said:

Thinking of adding an LP to the stable, but also considering a PRS.

On 5/13/2020 at 3:35 PM, Mike Hoodenpyle said:

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I've been thinking about a CE 24 for about a year now, so I may go that route instead of a Gibson. Also considering a 594 Singlecut, which would obviously be more similar to an LP than the CE.

Mike

Mike, if you are still thinking about the PRS this video will, I think, be very useful to you.  It is a huge time investment, at over an hour in length, but it will be very educational about the PRS product line.   He spends a lot of time discussing the McCarty 594, the S2 line and the Silver Sky.  Had I not gotten a really good deal on my new Santana I would have seriously considered the McCarty 594.  It is still on my radar should there ever be another guitar.  (Don't tell my wife I am thinking about this!)

And I had always thought the S2 line was an economical line because they are machine made.  I now know that isn't true.  Bryan goes into great detail about how the S2's are still handmade, but because of the shape of the guitar there are economies in building them.

Keep us posted on how the shopping is going.

On 5/27/2020 at 3:48 PM, matonanjin said:

Mike, if you are still thinking about the PRS this video will, I think, be very useful to you.  It is a huge time investment, at over an hour in length, but it will be very educational about the PRS product line.   He spends a lot of time discussing the McCarty 594, the S2 line and the Silver Sky.  Had I not gotten a really good deal on my new Santana I would have seriously considered the McCarty 594.  It is still on my radar should there ever be another guitar.  (Don't tell my wife I am thinking about this!)

And I had always thought the S2 line was an economical line because they are machine made.  I now know that isn't true.  Bryan goes into great detail about how the S2's are still handmade, but because of the shape of the guitar there are economies in building them.

Keep us posted on how the shopping is going.

Great video, thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

PRS it is. Got to try a CE 24, a Les Paul Classic and a Les Paul Standard last weekend. I liked them all, but the PRS won. I wanted a different color, so I ordered a CE 24 from Sweetwater today. I'll post pics when she gets here, but here's a teaser.

CE24-4.jpg

• Member ID:  146
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  243
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  19

I am pleased to heart you tried all three side by side and so your decision was based on experience and not just hearsay. All the best for a long relationship and yes, we are looking forward to photos of your new babe.

• Like 1

• Member ID:  13
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  304
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  10/03/1947

Congratulations Mike, I love that dark cherry colour. Many hours of pleasure in your future.

Henk

Mike, congratulations on the new PRS.  I hope the information provided by a few of us here helped with your decision.  And looking forward to the NGD post and "real" photos.

• Like 1

• Member ID:  64
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  169
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  20

Mike- You ought to be able to fulfill Psalms 100:1 with that in your hands! Can't wait to see photos and your feedback! Congrats!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Popeye said:

Mike- You ought to be able to fulfill Psalms 100:1 with that in your hands! Can't wait to see photos and your feedback! Congrats!

I plan to take her to her first service Sunday morning. 🙂✝️ 

• Member ID:  14
  • Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  528
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  09/26/1951

Congrats Mike. Great decision, great guitar. Make some sweet music with it.

Greg

• Like 1