• Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  21
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  09/19/1958

Jules is going to start learning the guitar with me. Which guitar would you suggest for her. Make it electric to go along with my Ibanez Jem.

Edited by jumiclads
  • Like 1

• Member ID:  104
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  299
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  9

How much do you want to spend? Is it possible for you and Julie to go to a local guitar shop so that Julie can try some out?

My first electric guitar was a Yamaha Pacifica 112J in black. I found it nice and comfortable to learn on and still love it and play it.  I bought an Epiphone Les Paul Special after that which is nicer to look at but I did not bond so well with it. It comes down to personal choice in the end I think. 

I bet Fender Telecasters are nice. Let us know what Julie gets!

• Thanks 1

• Member ID:  16
  • Content Count:  218
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  16
  • Device:  Macintosh

Without a budget or idea of the music she might be interested in its hard to make a recommendation but at a moderate price point the Classic Vibe Squires from Fender are pretty universally praised for being a lot of bang for the buck.

I and at least a couple of others here have, or have had the Classic Vibe Tele, and think there are a few that have the Strats as well. 

The guitar she likes is the best one to buy, but these would be good ones to check out.

• Thanks 1

• Member ID:  6
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Content Count:  1,056
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  150
  • Birthday:  12/14/1960
  • Device:  Windows

Take her to the store.

Let the guitar talk to her.

That's the one to buy.

(Note you may have to walk into the same guitar store for a couple of months till one talks to her, I know that's how it works for me)

• Thanks 1

• Member ID:  5
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,077
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  166

34 minutes ago, Eracer_Team-DougH said:

Take her to the store.

Let the guitar talk to her.

That's the one to buy.

(Note you may have to walk into the same guitar store for a couple of months till one talks to her, I know that's how it works for me)

@jumiclads    ditto... its a feel thing.... no real need to spend a lot, but not too cheap; they usually disappoint and end up in the closet.

(if you have Godin guitars or one of their brands in your local store, have a look; great instruments, excellent value and alternative to Fender /Epiphone etc.)

Edited by NeilES335
add video
  • Thanks 1

• Member ID:  81
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  73
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  05/16/1958

I'm with Eracer on that. I had my eye on PRS CE-24, but never pulled the trigger on it. One day I walked in and pulled a Fender American Special Stratocaster off the wall. 20 minutes later that Strat came home with me.

• Thanks 1

• Member ID:  157
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  278
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/13/1955
  • Device:  iPhone

Okay, I'll ask the question: "How does a guitar speak to you when you're standing at ground zero?"  I have never understood how you can make such a statement when you don't even know the most basic of chords.   I personally believe you try to pick a guitar of decent quality to start the journey of playing a guitar.   I see a lot of beginner guitars for sale on Craigslist.  That said,  find a guitar that feels good and start down the path of learning to play a guitar.  When you feel that you are getting a handle on things.... then you can get into the process of getting a quality guitar you can be proud of playing.  I marvel at stories of great players as Eric Clapton who played terrible guitars as they started down the path of learning to play guitar.   It's not easy, but it's a path we all must travel.

Edited by Plantsman13
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Member ID:  146
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  243
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  19

5 hours ago, Plantsman13 said:

Okay, I'll ask the question: "How does a guitar speak to you when you're standing at ground zero?"

Plantsman, if your wife tried a 10lb (5kg) or heavier guitar (as are many Les Pauls) and a semi-hollow or hollowbody then she would likely be able to choose which she prefers. Personally, the main thing that has made me feel most comfortable with a guitar is the neck: a chunky neck versus an ultra-slim neck. As we do not know what size hands your wife has and what will feel comfortable for her, this is, as you say, difficult for a beginner to appreciate when they cannot yet play an chords.

The Yamaha Pacifica which Nutty mentioned is the most popular starter guitar and perhaps because it offers quality, a neck, weight, HSS pickups and more that cover the middle ground well, allowing a developing player to discover which direction they would like to go should they buy another at some point.

Taking your wife to a guitar shop would indeed be a good idea. As well as all the colours and shapes that appeal to her, I would find some different neck thicknesses and also different body shapes. I am thinking more of the cutout on the back (as a Strat has) and the body edges (rounded like a Strat or square like a Tele or Les Paul). If you explain what feature you are wanting her to compare between two particular guitars it will make her decision making process easier. The challenge is then to combine all her preferences and find the guitar that best matches her choices.

That is how I would expect a guitar to speak to her, whispering, "We were made for each other; take me home."

Edited by Fretless
  • Like 2

• Member ID:  6
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Content Count:  1,056
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  150
  • Birthday:  12/14/1960

@Plantsman13 looks like my reply never made the save portion

when I said 'let the guitar speak'.. I'm not talking sound by playing

you can walk into a store and go nope there is nothing here and walk back out.. sometimes that happens in 30seconds or less.

we are visual people first and audio people second.

the colour and wood grain .. they will stand out first and attract. (same thing that attracts people to cars)

next would be sound if you found one that is visually appealing . 

if you can't play the sales personnel are usually more than willing to show you what they can play and the sounds of the guitar.

these people are not allow to just sit around and play.. so when the get a chance to "to help the customer" they're more than happy to play.

sales person playing a couple of different guitars you'll start to hear the guitar with your ears, not just your eyes.

last hold the guitar so you can physically feel the size and shape of it..

you may like Mexican music.. but have you ever tried to hold a Gutarrion.

Beginner guitars on Craig's List are there for a reason.. and not just because they gave up on playing guitar.

Edited by Eracer_Team-DougH
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Member ID:  1,211
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  16
  • Days Won:  0

I suggest that you get your wife to watch some youTube videos to get a rough idea of the type of guitar she may be interested in trying out when she visits a store.

My first electrics were Yamaha Pacificas and hey were great bang for your buck. I have a Squier Custom Vibe Thinline and it is even better. I have an Epiphone Century Inspired by 1966 which is essentially an amplified acoustic that sounds great and is very light.

Remember, it is the guitar that chooses the player to paraphrase JKR.

• Thanks 1

• Member ID:  16
  • Content Count:  218
  • Days Won:  16

18 hours ago, Plantsman13 said:

Okay, I'll ask the question: "How does a guitar speak to you when you're standing at ground zero?"  I have never understood how you can make such a statement when you don't even know the most basic of chords.   I personally believe you try to pick a guitar of decent quality to start the journey of playing a guitar.   I see a lot of beginner guitars for sale on Craigslist.  That said,  find a guitar that feels good and start down the path of learning to play a guitar.  When you feel that you are getting a handle on things.... then you can get into the process of getting a quality guitar you can be proud of playing.  I marvel at stories of great players as Eric Clapton who played terrible guitars as they started down the path of learning to play guitar.   It's not easy, but it's a path we all must travel.

Very well stated.  Some folks may get lucky and fall in love with their first guitar but for most it is a lesson in what we want in our second guitar.  

Edited by Six String
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

• Member ID:  1,373
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  24
  • Days Won:  1

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 2:26 PM, Mick & Jules said:

Jules is going to start learning the guitar with me. Which guitar would you suggest for her. Make it electric to go along with my Ibanez Jem.

Simple, you give her yours, and you go get you another one, what ever you want.

• Member ID:  275
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  213
  • Days Won:  11
  • Birthday:  07/17/1979

I think that letting her pick one out is a great idea! Everybody should have the guitar they think is the coolest :)

In seriousness though, I think that the Yamaha Pacificas are great value, I had one at one time and it was great for the money. The Squier Classic Vibe series is one I would consider too. 

Hope your husband and wife duo gets off to a slamming start! B|