• Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  156
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  03/02/1964
  • Device:  Windows

I'm concentrating very hard on hitting the frets and strings with the beat.  I'm listening to Steve tell me to keep my fingers close to the strings.  And at the same time I'm looking at my fingers fly up off the fretboard after each note!  :)Looking forward to more and more practice to improve my economy of motion!

• Like 1

• Member ID:  113
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  26
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  09/29/1954
  • Device:  Android

I know exactly what you are going through! I have a pinky that seems to like flying on its own no matter how hard i tell it to settle down. 

Stangely enough though, it seems worse at slower speeds. I have found that concentration and repetition seems to  be the key to getting it under control so far. 

• Like 1

• Member ID:  175
  • Content Count:  20
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/22/1966

Do this 5 min a day, nice and slow, and concentrate on no finger fly-off. Again...nice and slow. Going fast is no help. Don't ladder up the speed. Just do it slow for 5 min in control. 

Not really new information here, just another perspective and presenter. Being in control is the goal. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_801604117&feature=iv&src_vid=qQNaxGUB9fY&v=1Ok8lj6eJ78

• Like 3

• Member ID:  2
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  155
  • Days Won:  2
  • Device:  Macintosh

2 hours ago, rkl312 said:

And at the same time I'm looking at my fingers fly up off the fretboard after each note!  :)

Lol--reminds me of the mythological god Mercury with his winged feet! Maybe you have winged fingertips! xD

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Member ID:  172
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  2
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Thanks BluzCruz for the link to Justin’s suggestions.  I have been working on Steve’s agility practice and am slowly making progress but noticed a few of my fingers started flying at the faster speeds. I will do major scales and Steve’s agility exercise super slow with fingers in control. 

Tom

• Like 2

• Member ID:  24
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  156
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  03/02/1964

Got through the basic workout for the first time tonight.  I replayed the 120 BBM section three times.  Needs polish but finally able to do it.  Kinda.

• Like 1

• Member ID:  110
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  67
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  04/02/1969

I'm on the Advanced workout.  I can get to sixteenth notes at 80 BPM but really struggle above that.  The more I try at the higher speeds, the easier the lower speeds seem to be.  Another one that I just need to stick with.  Has anyone conquered the Advanced workout yet?

• Like 3

• Member ID:  60
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  134
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  06/22/1968

3 hours ago, bwillard said:

I'm on the Advanced workout.  I can get to sixteenth notes at 80 BPM but really struggle above that.  The more I try at the higher speeds, the easier the lower speeds seem to be.  Another one that I just need to stick with.  Has anyone conquered the Advanced workout yet?

I got up to sixteenth notes at 100 BPM, but not any further.

• Like 1

• Member ID:  157
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  278
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/13/1955
  • Device:  iPhone

Speed kills for sure.  But I find I start eighth notes at 72 bpm when I practice because 60 bpm is like running in wet concrete and drives me crazy!   I occasionally start at 60 bpm and force myself to work through it.  It's like switching to an exaggerated  swing tempo on a scale you've only done in eighth notes...finger and/or brain lock follows soon after. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

• Member ID:  175
  • Content Count:  20
  • Birthday:  12/22/1966

If you're struggling to get faster, just keep doing the exercise every day, from the beginning and DON'T skip over the slow speeds. Those reps are important for building muscle memory, stretching, gaining control. Focus on playing extra clean at those slower speeds. Yes, it gets boring, but it won't be boring when you can shred. Listen to the tone of the picking, listen for other noise from other strings, etc. get your upstrokes and downstrokes to sound the same in volume and tone. Play it nice and clean, and slow. As you speed up, go as high in speed as you can play cleanly. When you hit the limit where it breaks down and starts to get sloppy, set your own metronome about 4-8 BPM slower and do the exericise at that speed for about 5 more minutes, without moving  the speed up or down. If you do that every day, you'll find before long you'll gain a little more speed. You can also try to ladder up....back off 15-20 BPM and then step back up in small increments of 4 BPM or whatever you metronome can do and slowly you'll get to where you can go to new speeds. 

The other thing you can do that may help is simply to work on your right hand picking. It may be that you cannot even pick the strings at those faster tempos. Consider setting a 2 min timer and simply playing 16th notes on each open string for 2 min per string. Work up until you find your max tempo, if it's smooth, go up a little faster until you find where your right hand is breaking down. Then back off slightly and do it at that tempo for 2 min per string every day. within a few days, your right hand will get faster, and you may find the other exercise will pick up speed too.  

It helps to analyze what is slowing you down, if you can. Is it your right hand? your left hand? Finger flyaway? Is it the shifts in the chromatic scale exercise? The stretch notes in the "main" exercise? Once you know you can isolate what is slowing you down and do other things to improve that aspect. But mostly...just keep doing the exercise and be patient and it will eventually come. Once you have it, it doesn't fade too much.

Edited by BluzCruz
  • Like 3

• Member ID:  81
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  73
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  05/16/1958

I remember Steve Vai saying he spent hours in front of a mirror practicing. He wanted to make sure everything he did with his hands not only sounded good but looked good as well.

• Member ID:  1
  • Group:  Administrators
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  95
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  428
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Days Won:  115
  • Birthday:  07/28/1966
  • Device:  Macintosh

19 hours ago, BluzCruz said:

If you're struggling to get faster, just keep doing the exercise every day, from the beginning and DON'T skip over the slow speeds. Those reps are important for building muscle memory, stretching, gaining control. Focus on playing extra clean at those slower speeds. Yes, it gets boring, but it won't be boring when you can shred. Listen to the tone of the picking, listen for other noise from other strings, etc. get your upstrokes and downstrokes to sound the same in volume and tone. Play it nice and clean, and slow. As you speed up, go as high in speed as you can play cleanly. When you hit the limit where it breaks down and starts to get sloppy, set your own metronome about 4-8 BPM slower and do the exericise at that speed for about 5 more minutes, without moving  the speed up or down. If you do that every day, you'll find before long you'll gain a little more speed. You can also try to ladder up....back off 15-20 BPM and then step back up in small increments of 4 BPM or whatever you metronome can do and slowly you'll get to where you can go to new speeds. 

The other thing you can do that may help is simply to work on your right hand picking. It may be that you cannot even pick the strings at those faster tempos. Consider setting a 2 min timer and simply playing 16th notes on each open string for 2 min per string. Work up until you find your max tempo, if it's smooth, go up a little faster until you find where your right hand is breaking down. Then back off slightly and do it at that tempo for 2 min per string every day. within a few days, your right hand will get faster, and you may find the other exercise will pick up speed too.  

It helps to analyze what is slowing you down, if you can. Is it your right hand? your left hand? Finger flyaway? Is it the shifts in the chromatic scale exercise? The stretch notes in the "main" exercise? Once you know you can isolate what is slowing you down and do other things to improve that aspect. But mostly...just keep doing the exercise and be patient and it will eventually come. Once you have it, it doesn't fade too much.

Bluz, great advice! - Steve

• Like 1

• Member ID:  213
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  2

Hope you enjoy this, what do you think?   

• 1 month later...

• Member ID:  1,149
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  3
  • Birthday:  09/07/1981

I have had the same problem, with my fingers being far from the strings when doing these exercises. But after two weeks of constant practicing and really concentrating on keeping my fingers close to the strings, especially on a slower BPM, it is much better now. 

I am now busy with the intermediate level, and the only problem is the chromatic scale at this stage. All the other exercises I can do at 120bpm with eight notes. I can go at about 90bpm with eight notes on the chromatic scale, pretty soon I wil hit the 120 mark?  

• Like 1

• Member ID:  243
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  541
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  64

I had the same problem. Practice will improve. Listen to BluzCruz.