WHAT'S GOING ON THIS MONTH
  • This Month's Live Streaming Guitar Lessons: TUESDAY MAY 12TH - PEDALS and CABLES AND GEAR OH MY! WHAT DOES THIS PEDAL DO? If you've got questions about what pedals do, what pedals do you need, or how something works, then let's get some answers. Steve will guide you through his gear, setting up a pedal board, and how each pedal sounds. WEDNESDAY WORKOUTS: MAY 13TH Tired of not being able to play barre chords? This three week series on Wednesday Workouts will guide you through... 1) Knowing Where to Put Your Chord 2) How to Form Each Chord Correctly 3) Strengthening the Fingers for Successful Barre Chords Bring your guitar and I'll guide you step by step as we play together. You can do it! Let's finally master these and move forward in your music! Watch LIVE on our Guitar Gathering YouTube Channel. It's going to be a great month! Learn all you can!
Sign in to follow this  
matonanjin

Spark - Smart Practice Guitar Amp

Anyone seen this?  Know anything about it?  I certainly do not.  But at first glance it appears interesting. 

Spark.jpg.ddfd8052dcf7eeba8a158107f95b1eaf.jpg

From the web page, " the smart amp and app that jam along with you using intelligent technology. Play and practice with millions of songs and access over 10,000 tones powered by our award-winning BIAS tone engine. "

It appears to, among a lot of other things,  use an app to grab just about any song from Spotify or Youtube or Apple music.  It will then display the chord chart and you jam along.  Or you can tell it, "Follow my guitar" by voice command and it will provide drum set and bass to your playing to  jam with.  And it has USB output to plug into your DAW.  Plus what they call "Hyper-realistic amp modeling and effects".

I am not in anyway recommending this because I just told you everything I know about it.  But it seems to have a lot of potential as a learning tool. And, at $224 (US), I was somewhat surprised.  I expected it would be more.   Link to the product page.

Your thoughts?

• Like 1

I think it was just introduced at Namm .  There is another video from channel, Steve from Boston, on youtube . interesting amp

• Thanks 1

I think you're right.  I believe I saw it was introduced at NAMM.

So much technology makes me wonder where the human fits in this equation... 

15 hours ago, NeilES335 said:

"All this machinery
Making modern music
Can still be open-hearted"

• Like 1

Right Neil, so much technology. I could envision using this unit through the Aux In on the MX-80. The idea of practice songs with background track and visual chord diagrams reminds me of the old RIFF station site which was purchased by Fender. For me the main draw back is that this is a monthly subscription based service. So it’s a no go.

Henk

2 hours ago, Oldjock said:

For me the main draw back is that this is a monthly subscription based service. So it’s a no go.

Henk

Henk,

What monthly subscription are you referring to?

20 hours ago, NeilES335 said:

Neil, I'm not so much wondering about where the human fits into this.  I have software that slows down a song that I am trying to learn.  That software will loop a section.  It will combine these.

I have software that will change the key.

Now this, Spark, will download the song and display the chords for me.  I don't even have to try and figure out the chords.

I have GuitarPro to play the song for me and I will try and play along, again slowing and looping.

Who knows what other learning tools I have on my hard drive that I've forgotten about. I haven't tried it but I've seen the guitar with lights on the fretboard that actually show one where to place fingers when playing a song!

All these tools and I'm still struggling to learn!😲🥵

Remember stories of Clapton and others playing the lp on the turntable and then moving the needle back to the start of the section he was trying to learn?  Repeating it over and over.  The old days analog looping😉.  They were able to learn having to do it like this and I struggle with all my tools?

It gives me pause.

I remember seeing the Fretlight guitars.  I thought they were cool initially, but then I figured that I'd end up looking more at my fingers when playing more than anything else.  So, I just stayed away from that one.

Nice to see another Guitar Pro user on here.  I also have Presonus Progression (pre-version of Notion) that I can use with my Tripleplay on guitar to record midi into my computer.  So, I can see how I'm playing and also record music notation with just playing the guitar rather than having to manually insert notes.  That's one feature I wish GP would put into it's software.