Members Recordings - Songs, Lessons, Open Mic!

On 2/3/2021 at 7:15 PM, NeilES335 said:

And Here's the YouTube Video where I play the opening bars of 'If I Had You", with 12 other players from 6 countries!

Very cool Neil!! Well played.

Greg

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey everyone, I don't have the ability to play difficult pieces (yet), so spend quite a lot of time trying to play simple pieces well. This song is fairly simple, but I wanted to work on maintain

Hi All, I wanted to say how much I appreciate Steve Krenz's teachings and the community he has helped to create with all of us here.  This arrangement is from his Learn and Master Fingerstyle Gui

On my Blues journey, I am working on a cover of Eric Clapton's version of Freddie King's Tore Down.I added the fills, but decided not to work out the solo yet.Unfortunately I can't sing. So I ended up

19 hours ago, Mike Hoodenpyle said:

This is my rendition of "Lewis & Clark," my favorite Tommy Emmanuel song. It's got elements from both the original recording from 2006 and the updated version from last year, plus a few of my own ideas. There are a few instances in the recording that sound like clipping or static of some kind, but I can't get rid of it. I had the levels low enough where clipping shouldn't have been an issue, and it wasn't apparent on the waveform, so I'm not sure what the problem is. I experimented with different settings, and also recorded some tests with mics instead of plugging in, and it was still there to different degrees. Maybe I have a problem with my interface. At any rate, thanks for listening.

Awesome Mike. You have fantastic fingerstyle technique, and this is a great rendition of this song. What a treat!.

Greg

2 hours ago, gotto said:

Awesome Mike. You have fantastic fingerstyle technique, and this is a great rendition of this song. What a treat!.

Greg

Thanks very much, glad you liked it.

Seeing as DougH and I have already submitted a song for this months "Recording Challenge" , I thought I'd post my most recent project song here...

I learned and recorded this song for an upcoming Jazz Studio Compilation Video, that is due out in a few weeks.

"Softy As In A Morning Sunrise" This song has been covered by many famous artists such as; Miles Davis, Sonny Rawlins, Chet Baker, George Benson, Bing Crosby, and Frank Sinatra et al. I want to thank Frank Vignola of  Frank Vignola's Jazz Studio for teaching me this song.

I hope you enjoy it! 

The technical stuff; Recorded direct to Reaper DAW with my Godin 5th Ave Kingpin archtop with P90 pickup. This guitar records exceptionally well. I used a plugin for some added tone and a bit of reverb.
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, NeilES335 said:

Seeing as DougH and I have already submitted a song for this months "Recording Challenge" , I thought I'd post my most recent project song here...

I learned and recorded this song for an upcoming Jazz Studio Compilation Video, that is due out in a few weeks.

"Softy As In A Morning Sunrise" This song has been covered by many famous artists such as; Miles Davis, Sonny Rawlins, Chet Baker, George Benson, Bing Crosby, and Frank Sinatra et al. I want to thank Frank Vignola of  Frank Vignola's Jazz Studio for teaching me this song.

I hope you enjoy it! 

The technical stuff; Recorded direct to Reaper DAW with my Godin 5th Ave Kingpin archtop with P90 pickup. This guitar records exceptionally well. I used a plugin for some added tone and a bit of reverb.

Very nice. Love your tone.

• Thanks 1
On 2/15/2021 at 6:37 AM, Mike Hoodenpyle said:

This is my rendition of "Lewis & Clark," my favorite Tommy Emmanuel song. It's got elements from both the original recording from 2006 and the updated version from last year, plus a few of my own ideas. There are a few instances in the recording that sound like clipping or static of some kind, but I can't get rid of it. I had the levels low enough where clipping shouldn't have been an issue, and it wasn't apparent on the waveform, so I'm not sure what the problem is. I experimented with different settings, and also recorded some tests with mics instead of plugging in, and it was still there to different degrees. Maybe I have a problem with my interface. At any rate, thanks for listening.

You're a great finger picker, Mike. You played this difficult piece beautifully.

I recognize your new Taylor E14ce. It has a nice clear sound. Do you pick with nails or flesh?

Wim.

On 2/20/2021 at 5:31 AM, Wim VD1 said:

You're a great finger picker, Mike. You played this difficult piece beautifully.

I recognize your new Taylor E14ce. It has a nice clear sound. Do you pick with nails or flesh?

Wim.

Thanks very much. Only flesh for me. My nails are weak and grow like hooks, so they're not an option.

On 2/15/2021 at 12:37 AM, Mike Hoodenpyle said:

Hi MIke; That was EXCELLENT!  Your tone and execution were spot on, and error free as well.  I thought the recording was very good too... (I couldn't detect any clipping etc on my computer speakers) .

Quite the achievement I say. Not being a fingerstyle player, I really admire the skill and work that you put into this. Well Done Sir.

Neil

37 minutes ago, NeilES335 said:

Hi MIke; That was EXCELLENT!  Your tone and execution were spot on, and error free as well.  I thought the recording was very good too... (I couldn't detect any clipping etc on my computer speakers) .

Quite the achievement I say. Not being a fingerstyle player, I really admire the skill and work that you put into this. Well Done Sir.

Neil

Thanks very much! Maybe the problem is mainly my speakers.

• Like 1

Not that want to be the "forum  police" but

This "open mic " thread was to be an area for forum members to post their own recorded music that didn't fall under the Recording Challenge subject of the month. 

There are other threads for YouTube videos

2 hours ago, Eracer_Team-DougH said:

This "open mic " thread was to be an area for forum members to post their own recorded music that didn't fall under the Recording Challenge subject of the month. 

We should probably have another forum for recordings like the old L&M site had. That would be a lot better than one endless thread for people to add their recordings. 

4 hours ago, Eracer_Team-DougH said:

Forgive me Doug, I didn't know where to post this.  I looked around  ( apparently not long enough ) and saw that this mentioned "Lessons" so I put it there.  I guess it meant lesson recordings from this course.  My bad.

Again, I'm new to this forum and haven't been through every thread. 

I'll try to delete it and move it somewhere else. 

I appreciate being corrected and I'll do better next time.

Tom

@Dusty1300 no worries Dusty-Tom  probably would be better just in it's own thread so it would be near the top and not burred 10 pages down, now if you have  recording you'd like to post, we'd like to hear it.. even if its a LMG Session 1 Lesson, or in Neil's case advanced jazz style, or my "strum'n'sing" (out of key)

@Mike Hoodenpyle good question Mike, many many many versions of the forum ago (think version #2) had a better structured Members recording section.. but that went a long time ago. not sure what can be done with this forum and recording structures. I can vaguely remember it in my mind 

@NeilES335 had/has spent many hours organizing many of the threads here, esp the Sessions 1,2,3 thread.. 

maybe Steve knows of a add on for better members recording area for the forum software