• Topic Count:  47
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  490
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  65
  • Device:  Windows

I love vintage Fender finish colors. Many of the 1950s finishes were contemporary car colors.

Ah - If I could only get my Neptune Green and Shoreline Beige 1955 Chevy back...

Take the Reverb quiz here.

• Member ID:  12
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  184
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Days Won:  177
  • Birthday:  07/19/1948

OMG, @Dave White, If only I had kept my 54 Chevy back!!!!!  Mine was a metal flake blues.   Your '55, was it a V-8?   1955, as you know, was the first year Chevy had a production V-8. 

I took the 6 cylinder out of my '54 and replaced it with a 57 V-8, 4 barrel carb and 4 speed.  No one ever expected me to have a v-8 and I won a lot of races!  The downsize was that the engine comparment was so cramped there was no room for heater ducts and it was cold in the winter!?  I tried to convince any cute girls that rode with me that I had a way to warm up.  That was rarely successful.?

Ah memories.!

• Member ID:  4
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  490
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Days Won:  65

Hey @matonanjin-

I'm not sure I would have opted for speed over heat - it can get pretty cold in Omaha. ?

Yes - my Neptune green Chevy was a V-8 - however, it was a later model 327 (not the original 265). It had been drag raced before I got it, so it had a bit of wear and tear.

My second '55 Chevy was purchased (in pieces) with the idea of making a totally stock show car (just wanted to see if I could do it). It was restored back to (probably better than) factory condition - thus the Coral and grey paint. Coral: now there is a color I would not want to see on a strat! It was a V-8 as well. I won the 1955-57 Nationals with it (which were held in Omaha!) in the early 1980s.

Photos below!

Aug28~01a.jpg

Aug28~01b.jpg

• Like 2

• Member ID:  64
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  169
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  20
  • Device:  Macintosh

Cars and guitars.......If only I had more money!!!!!!!!!!!

• Member ID:  6
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,056
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  150
  • Birthday:  12/14/1960
  • Device:  iPhone

16 hours ago, Popeye said:

Cars and guitars.......If only I had more money!!!!!!!!!!!

Wife bought me a shirt few years back that said and had

Cars and Guitars on it.

Still have it, still wear it

• Member ID:  110
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  67
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  04/02/1969

I scored 5 of 8.  I guess that is why I own Gibsons! :)

On 8/28/2018 at 5:45 PM, Dave White said:

Hey @matonanjin-

I'm not sure I would have opted for speed over heat - it can get pretty cold in Omaha. ?

Yes - my Neptune green Chevy was a V-8 - however, it was a later model 327 (not the original 265). It had been drag raced before I got it, so it had a bit of wear and tear.

My second '55 Chevy was purchased (in pieces) with the idea of making a totally stock show car (just wanted to see if I could do it). It was restored back to (probably better than) factory condition - thus the Coral and grey paint. Coral: now there is a color I would not want to see on a strat! It was a V-8 as well. I won the 1955-57 Nationals with it (which were held in Omaha!) in the early 1980s.

Photos below

@Dave White, at no point in this conversation did I claim common sense.  Especially during high school! 

Those are some gorgeous Chevy's!  

A quick, slightly related story.  In 1956 or so, my grandmother's 1951 Ford died on her across the street from a Chevy dealership.  Sh walked across the street to get help but when she left was the owner of a new 1957 Chevy.  The one they had on the showroom floor was a coupe with what was called the "power pack": 327 with 4 barrel and twin exhausts. 

She would drive it all the time but every fall at the first hint of snow it would go in the garage and not come out until spring.  It never saw salt.  In about 1975 whne she passed away it had 27,000 miles on it.  Of course every grandson in the family, including me, was stating his cause why he was most deserving of this car.  Unfortunately for me my cousin got it and drove the wheels off it.  One can probably stretch the analogy of that car today being, in guitar terms, a 59 Goldtop Les Paul.  Or at least close.

Ah yes, @Popeye and @Eracer_Team-DougH, cars and guitars.

• Sad 1

• Member ID:  5
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,077
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  166
  • Device:  Android

5 hours ago, matonanjin said:

@Dave White, at no point in this conversation did I claim common sense.  Especially during high school! 

Those are some gorgeous Chevy's!  

A quick, slightly related story.  In 1956 or so, my grandmother's 1951 Ford died on her across the street from a Chevy dealership.  Sh walked across the street to get help but when she left was the owner of a new 1957 Chevy.  The one they had on the showroom floor was a coupe with what was called the "power pack": 327 with 4 barrel and twin exhausts. 

She would drive it all the time but every fall at the first hint of snow it would go in the garage and not come out until spring.  It never saw salt.  In about 1975 whne she passed away it had 27,000 miles on it.  Of course every grandson in the family, including me, was stating his cause why he was most deserving of this car.  Unfortunately for me my cousin got it and drove the wheels off it.  One can probably stretch the analogy of that car today being, in guitar terms, a 59 Goldtop Les Paul.  Or at least close.

Ah yes, @Popeye and @Eracer_Team-DougH, cars and guitars.

Now that was a good salesman!  Your grandma must have loved that car. Too bad your cousin "drove the wheels off it". A car like that in "survivor" condition with 27,000 original miles is now a classic, very desirable, and worth some serious coin. ( maybe $70-$100k)

(if you'll pardon the slight correction... the 327 ci engine was not available until 1962. If this car was all original, then the V8 was likely a 283 ci engine which first appeared in 1955. It could have been the higher horsepower "power pack"  engine)

Edited by NeilES335
  • Thanks 1

• Member ID:  275
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  213
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  11
  • Birthday:  07/17/1979

Boy, sonic blue looks different today. 

I like that shoreline gold color though. I wish I had a Jazzmaster in that color :)

16 hours ago, NeilES335 said:

(if you'll pardon the slight correction... the 327 ci engine was not available until 1962. If this car was all original, then the V8 was likely a 283 ci engine which first appeared in 1955. It could have been the higher horsepower "power pack"  engine)

Neil, you're absolutely correct.  Thank you.  Grandma's 57 Chevy was a 283 Power Pack.  That darn Wally ended up with?  The 327 was in a later Chevy I had which is a different story.

1 hour ago, matonanjin said:

Neil, you're absolutely correct.  Thank you.  Grandma's 57 Chevy was a 283 Power Pack.  That darn Wally ended up with?  The 327 was in a later Chevy I had which is a different story.

I spent a lot of my youth staring at, working on, machining and rebuilding small block Chevy engines. My Dad was a GM mechanic, and did side jobs at home in the driveway. So at 12 yrs old,  changing spark plugs, points/condenser/rotor/dist cap was my job.Changing brake shoes too... by 16 I was swaping engines ( like pulling a 283 and dropping in a 327 or 350 ci ) all supervised of course. 

• Member ID:  64
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  169
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  20

Had a '55 Chevy Baby Blue with dark blue tinted windows, no front bumper and frame cut with only the front grill. 283 w/holly 4brl, munci 4spd w/hurst shifter. Black carpet and diamond tuck upholstery. Craig 4/8 track stereo. American Mags.  Changed out steering wheel to black with chrome spokes. Even had the chrome dimmer foot and gas pedal. Lol......Cherry car and lots of memories!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Popeye said:

Had a '55 Chevy Baby Blue with dark blue tinted windows, no front bumper and frame cut with only the front grill. 283 w/holly 4brl, munci 4spd w/hurst shifter. Black carpet and diamond tuck upholstery. Craig 4/8 track stereo. American Mags.  Changed out steering wheel to black with chrome spokes. Even had the chrome dimmer foot and gas pedal. Lol......Cherry car and lots of memories!

You must have been the idol at the local burger joint?

• Thanks 1