• Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,077
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  166
  • Device:  Windows

I had a great new experience the other night you might like to hear about. I played with a great band on stage in front of spectators for the first time... It was super!

http://liveoriginal.visitsouthgeorgianbay.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Music-Lab-Mondays-2018.pdf

The Town of Collingwood Ontario is a super place for artists and musicians, both amateur and professional and the location of the Worlds biggest "Elvis Festival" . The Town Arts and Culture Department often sponsors events for musicians, and recently they have offered an opportunity called " Music Lab" , where amateur musicians can meet, jam, collaborate and showcase their material, led by a great local band of performing musicians.

http://liveoriginal.visitsouthgeorgianbay.ca/

I had the opportunity to go, so, not really knowing what to expect, (and wanting to get out of the house and play with others) off I went. Well, the venue was an actual theatre with stage, lighting, PA system, seating , the works!    (I was slightly apprehensive, but as it turned out, this was totally unfounded.) 

The band leading the event https://shipyardkitchenparty.com/listen/ was very welcoming and friendly.  This folk/pop group had recently won an award of excellence  from the local Arts Council. They are often featured at local events, and play many area restaurants, bars, and theatres. (they are actually a comedy troupe  and play '50's 60's 70"'s cover tunes too)

They played some opening tunes as people dribbled in, and then invited other performers to come on stage and play. There were several ( 5 - 6) really good singer/songwriters who performed their own material ( some weren't say, "the best" at guitar playing, but they did well just the same. No one seemed too worried about "being good enough" ) 

I was asked if I wanted to come on stage and perform solo... ah.... well thanks, but I wasn't really prepared for that. "No problem.... come up on stage and play with us!"  

I quickly looked at one of their original tunes on an IPAD, and off we went!  I plugged direct into the PA system (with my Godin 5th Ave, which sounded awesome btw) and followed along playing rhythm guitar with a super female singer, drummer and  2nd guitarist.  Fortunately the tune was pretty simple, ( a 1 - 4 -5  folk type song) So I kept up and got a few smiles back , and there was a enthusiastic  round of audience applause ? from about 50 people .   (no boo's anyway!) 

Then the band asked other guitarists to come on stage and play with them, ( maybe 5 - others) so, being plugged in, of course I stayed!  

They asked for suggestions so I just started in with a basic 12 bar Blues in E, which went over great! The singer was so good, she just made up lyrics on the fly!    After that, a couple of other singer/guitar players did their songs, and I followed along playing rhythm, even daring to throw i a couple of Lead lines, (that got a wink or two...) 

It was maybe 1/2 hour, but it was over in a flash.  Lots of camaraderie, and chat after, and a few contacts made.  

They have another event next month and I'm hoping to make it to that one too.  Who knows; I might screw up the courage to do a song or two solo... ?

If you get the chance to do something like this...DO IT!  FUN!   Super experience !

Sorry I dont have any pic's of me... but I assure you, I was there!  this is a video clip of the band... please excuse the cell phone video quality.... they sound great in person!

20180820_184607[1].jpg

Edited by NeilES335
add photo, comments, add video, photo
  • Like 6

• Member ID:  6
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,056
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  150
  • Birthday:  12/14/1960

Awesome group Neil, I'm sure you'll try and make as many jams next summer as you can

Nothing like playing live

Guess I need to practice some sort of lead solo sometime, for a "just in case" time

Wish there was something like this down here for us.

Edited by Eracer_Team-DougH
  • Thanks 1

• Member ID:  5

14 hours ago, Eracer_Team-DougH said:

Awesome group Neil, I'm sure you'll try and make as many jams next summer as you can

Nothing like playing live

Guess I need to practice some sort of lead solo sometime, for a "just in case" time

Wish there was something like this down here for us.

I wish too Doug... 

Edited by NeilES335
comment

• Member ID:  14
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  529
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  09/26/1951
  • Device:  iPhone

Wow, what a great moment for you! Congrats! I listened to those originals and they are very catchy songs, very nice. Hope this is just the launch pad for your future live play. You now understand the thrill of the moments on stage. Keep it up!

Greg

• Thanks 1

• Member ID:  13
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  304
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  16
  • Birthday:  10/03/1947

Neil, what a wonderful opportunity. Glad to see that you made the most of it.

Once someone gets past the fears of playing live, they have a renewed enthusiasm for learning.

Henk

• Thanks 1

• Member ID:  16
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  218
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Device:  Macintosh

Awesome.  

Growth comes from pushing beyond our comfort zones and that is what you just described.  

• Thanks 1

• Member ID:  78
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  83
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  01/18/1943

Nice job ... thanks for sharing gives others something to look at for their future.

• Thanks 1

• Member ID:  12
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  184
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  177
  • Birthday:  07/19/1948

@NeilES335, what a great time that had to be.  And an appropriate reward for all the hours of hard work that you have invested in preparation for this opportunity.  Your sharing this experience is encouragement for all of the rest of us on here.  I sure hope that you can get that video for us to see.

• Thanks 1

• Member ID:  5

1 hour ago, matonanjin said:

@NeilES335, what a great time that had to be.  And an appropriate reward for all the hours of hard work that you have invested in preparation for this opportunity.  Your sharing this experience is encouragement for all of the rest of us on here.  I sure hope that you can get that video for us to see.

@matonanjin Thanks Ron and all for your kind comments!  Here's the video clip and a photo of the band.

I hope my account does encourage others to "get out there" too.  I think my "take-aways" from this are;

* Most musicians are very friendly, welcoming, helpful and encouraging.

*You don't have to be a stellar guitar player to participate (it helps, but not required)' 

* Any "nerves" you have will quickly fade away once you get started. (I didnt really; I'm used to "pushing the envolope)

*It's over way too soon!  When's the next time?

• Member ID:  49
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  247
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  08/01/1965
  • Device:  iPhone

Wow, Neil this sounds fantastic! Well done to you for just getting out there and doing it. It sounds like you really enjoyed it and it will undoubtedly have helped both your confidence and your playing generally.

Next time, let's see some recordings of you in action ?

Ian

• Thanks 1