Who misses the days of three frets and open chords?

Mike Boehler

• Member ID:  1,055
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  12
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  09/12/1962

Sometimes I wonder if its the journey or the destination. The journey seems to be a life long commitment, which I knew when I signed on. However sometimes it gets a bit daunting when you don't take any time to actually enjoy your own music. Its text books, learning DVD's, YouTube teachers, etc.....

I've been playing for three years, I only play alone, as I wouldn't have the foggiest idea how to play with someone else even though I've attempted it several times which ends awkward and unmusical.

At 55 years old, I sometimes wonder what the point is.

Then, much like having your best drive on the 18th hole, I'm back at it. 

Who gets this?

• Like 1

• Member ID:  56
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  97
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  9

The point is to have fun.  It doesn't matter if you're strumming three chords or doing sophisticated chord progressions and soloing.  I love the journey - the destination doesn't much matter to me.

I play/practice before my family wakes up.  I combine learning new things, just jamming to my own chord progressions, and also songwriting. Perhaps I jump around these 3 too much, but it keeps it interesting and fun.  Best hobby in the world.

• Like 2

• Member ID:  389
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  23
  • Birthday:  02/16/1966

I'm 52 and I totally get it.  I never played anything till I was 42.  And after sitting at a bluegrass festival, decided to learn 5 string banjo in 2008.  Growing up there was a guitar and banjo in the house, tho' no one played.  My father hoped one of his 3 sons would pick it up, but it never happened, long story for another time.  Like you I, normally play alone and am self taugtht from books, videos, YouTube, the usual.  Have several different instruments, can play a tune on most of them.  I worked really hard at banjo for years, and I'm not bad, UNTIL I compare myself to a professional or even talented amateurs.  But' I've accepted that, finally.  I bought L&MG in 2012, I think, worked through 1-4, then let it go.  But this year I have rededicated myself to guitar.  Redid 1-4 and I'm now on session 5.  I do it for myself, and believe it or not, I've come to enjoy the struggles along the way, because there is a sense of accomplishment when they are conquered.  I mentioned bluegrass earlier, but my listening runs the gamut, hard rock to classical.  I've owned electric guitars for years, but never played them much, other than the occasional blast of Smoke on the Water, when the notion hit me LOL  But' before I started back on L&MG, I was working on basic barre chord shapes, and they seem easier on an electric, so been play them recently.  Anyway, I've talked enough, not my normal.  Hang in there, I'm looking forward to session 10, I think the banjo fingerpicking may be a plus.  I think you mentioned in another post about the fingerpicking showing if your chord shapes are weak, I can agree, I recently learned the intro to Lynyrd Skynyrd Simple Man, no barre chords, and easy chords at that C, G, Am, but if they aren't perfect, you can definitely hear it immediately.  

Stay strong, if you're on session 10, you can play better than 95% of the general population!

A+ on the golf analogy too!

7 minutes ago, KYSLOWFINGERS said:

I'm 52 and I totally get it.  I never played anything till I was 42.  And after sitting at a bluegrass festival, decided to learn 5 string banjo in 2008.  Growing up there was a guitar and banjo in the house, tho' no one played.  My father hoped one of his 3 sons would pick it up, but it never happened, long story for another time.  Like you I, normally play alone and am self taugtht from books, videos, YouTube, the usual.  Have several different instruments, can play a tune on most of them.  I worked really hard at banjo for years, and I'm not bad, UNTIL I compare myself to a professional or even talented amateurs.  But' I've accepted that, finally.  I bought L&MG in 2012, I think, worked through 1-4, then let it go.  But this year I have rededicated myself to guitar.  Redid 1-4 and I'm now on session 5.  I do it for myself, and believe it or not, I've come to enjoy the struggles along the way, because there is a sense of accomplishment when they are conquered.  I mentioned bluegrass earlier, but my listening runs the gamut, hard rock to classical.  I've owned electric guitars for years, but never played them much, other than the occasional blast of Smoke on the Water, when the notion hit me LOL  But' before I started back on L&MG, I was working on basic barre chord shapes, and they seem easier on an electric, so been play them recently.  Anyway, I've talked enough, not my normal.  Hang in there, I'm looking forward to session 10, I think the banjo fingerpicking may be a plus.  I think you mentioned in another post about the fingerpicking showing if your chord shapes are weak, I can agree, I recently learned the intro to Lynyrd Skynyrd Simple Man, no barre chords, and easy chords at that C, G, Am, but if they aren't perfect, you can definitely hear it immediately.  

Stay strong, if you're on session 10, you can play better than 95% of the general population!

A+ on the golf analogy too!

Hey thanks for taking time for that reply. That is a pretty good insight and I know this is likely a struggle most feel at some point during training. After three years I’m beginning to wonder if I’ll ever be a guitar player.  

There is always tomorrow  and I’m sure I’ll be at it again  

tired of being the worst guitar player to walk in my local guitar center  

• Member ID:  4
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  490
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Days Won:  65
  • Device:  Windows

Like CapM said above - the point is to have fun and to enjoy the journey. If you are not enjoying the journey, change things up until you do.

Search for a teacher who will take the time to get to know you and guide you on your journey.

My 'system' is to practice everyday. If I do that, then I know that I am still on my journey - and I can put down my guitar everyday and feel that I have accomplished something (even if things did not go well). I get frustrated when I set unreasonable expectations (they usually start with 'I should' - for example, I should be able to play that chord, I should be able to play through this song with no mistakes, etc.).

I didn't start playing until I was 54 and nothing in music comes easily for me. Again, as CapM said, the best hobby in the world.

Best wishes for your guitar journey.

• Like 2

• Member ID:  292
  • Content Count:  72
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  04/23/1958

6 hours ago, Mike Boehler said:

Sometimes I wonder if its the journey or the destination. The journey seems to be a life long commitment, which I knew when I signed on. However sometimes it gets a bit daunting when you don't take any time to actually enjoy your own music. Its text books, learning DVD's, YouTube teachers, etc.....

I've been playing for three years, I only play alone, as I wouldn't have the foggiest idea how to play with someone else even though I've attempted it several times which ends awkward and unmusical.

At 55 years old, I sometimes wonder what the point is.

Then, much like having your best drive on the 18th hole, I'm back at it. 

Who gets this?

Started on guitar 12 years ago at age 48, so I "get it." Boy, do I get it. Can't tell nor gonna recommend what others should do as not my business. All I know is that I'm gonna do what's the most fun and what comes naturally the smoothest. Just me as have many other interests.  And now that you mentioned both a journey and destination, actually, I've never thought of it as a destination. Rather, to me, it's an endless journey. Hang in there. 

• Like 1

• Member ID:  3
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  131
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  04/15/1950

Not me, and I don't miss training wheels and walkers either.

• Member ID:  243
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  541
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  64

I am 57 and have been at it for 9 years now. I try to play everyday. My skills are constantly improving. It might not seem so, but every once in a while something big happens and my playing is never that same after that. Am I the greatest guitar player in the world? No, but I am a guitar player without a doubt. In fact I am way beyond any guitar player that I imagined myself to be. 

You will be a guitar player long before you finish the Learn & Master course. You will have to put in the effort if you want to improve. The course has everything you need to go a long way down the road on your musical journey. If you want to play with others then you will have to take the steps to make it happen.

Most of just have fun with it! If you aren't having fun then you are doing it wrong. 

• Like 3

• Member ID:  9
  • Group:  Moderators
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  820
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Achievement Points:  1
  • Days Won:  212
  • Birthday:  01/01/1953
  • Device:  Macintosh

Mike, I think you would really benefit from having someone to make music with. I did a quick search of guitar Meetups in your area, and I found the “Back Porch Music Jam” in Guilderland, near Albany, about 45 minutes from Sharon Springs.

Another possibility is to check the music stores in your area for other informal ensembles, or even the SUNY campus.

There are things about music that can only be learned by playing with others. It's a skill like any other: you get better with experience. There are guitar joys that can only be experienced in the company of others. Please do not wait until you think you are “good enough”; that day is already here. Go. Pick up your guitar, and get out there. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, DianeB said:

Mike, I think you would really benefit from having someone to make music with. I did a quick search of guitar Meetups in your area, and I found the “Back Porch Music Jam” in Guilderland, near Albany, about 45 minutes from Sharon Springs.

Another possibility is to check the music stores in your area for other informal ensembles, or even the SUNY campus.

There are things about music that can only be learned by playing with others. It's a skill like any other: you get better with experience. There are guitar joys that can only be experienced in the company of others. Please do not wait until you think you are “good enough”; that day is already here. Go. Pick up your guitar, and get out there. 

Diane, thank you so much for taking the time to do this research for me. I’ve left my guitar alone for a few days while I ponder my future with it. Ive read every reply many times. There is no question I make the fatal mistake of expectation. This is hard to battle as I know it’s a bad approach so I attempt to push it out of my mind. 

I think playing with others would begin to put the joy back in for me. Playing for my family has become more of a chore as they tolerate me when I play and that’s not how it’s supposed to feel. 

You probably noticed that I live in a rural area that doesn’t seem too musical but you hit the nail squarely on the head in finding that group I need to contact. Possibly winter has become too long here and my complacency has turned against me. 

I will reach out to this group and attempt to rejuvenate myself to do something good with this three year effort that I really would love to continue. 

Thank you everyone. This is a good group that I’ve just found and thank you for your help. 

• Like 1

• Member ID:  292
  • Content Count:  72
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  04/23/1958

5 hours ago, Mike Boehler said:

Diane, thank you so much for taking the time to do this research for me. I’ve left my guitar alone for a few days while I ponder my future with it. Ive read every reply many times. There is no question I make the fatal mistake of expectation. This is hard to battle as I know it’s a bad approach so I attempt to push it out of my mind. 

I think playing with others would begin to put the joy back in for me. Playing for my family has become more of a chore as they tolerate me when I play and that’s not how it’s supposed to feel. 

You probably noticed that I live in a rural area that doesn’t seem too musical but you hit the nail squarely on the head in finding that group I need to contact. Possibly winter has become too long here and my complacency has turned against me. 

I will reach out to this group and attempt to rejuvenate myself to do something good with this three year effort that I really would love to continue. 

Thank you everyone. This is a good group that I’ve just found and thank you for your help. 

Hang in there.  Might be surprised who you may meet that plays. As the saying goes, "It's a small world."

• Like 1

• Member ID:  3
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  131
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  04/15/1950

6 hours ago, Mike Boehler said:

Mike:

I know exactly what you mean about the "joy" Music itself was joy to me. Then life hit me. I have no  joy in life. My wife died in my arms after a year of suffering. She finally died gasping for breath. Then my precious  daughter was killed in the Las Vegas mass shooting. I have no joy. except my German Shepherd. She is slowly brought me out of the grief.

I am even listening to  my music again, and finally able  to pick up  my guitars and try to learn. Why, because I had the weirdest experience that I still can not explain. I still wore my wedding band. Then I put it on the cutting board to do the dishes. When I finished it was gone. I searched my house, my yard along the  dog walking path and everywhere. No ring. I was grief stricken. I went into  my guitar room that evening, the first time all day and in front of my amp, there lies my wedding ring.

Keep at it Mike. You chose this path for a reason.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Grog said:

Mike:

I know exactly what you mean about the "joy" Music itself was joy to me. Then life hit me. I have no  joy in life. My wife died in my arms after a year of suffering. She finally died gasping for breath. Then my precious  daughter was killed in the Las Vegas mass shooting. I have no joy. except my German Shepherd. She is slowly brought me out of the grief.

I am even listening to  my music again, and finally able  to pick up  my guitars and try to learn. Why, because I had the weirdest experience that I still can not explain. I still wore my wedding band. Then I put it on the cutting board to do the dishes. When I finished it was gone. I searched my house, my yard along the  dog walking path and everywhere. No ring. I was grief stricken. I went into  my guitar room that evening, the first time all day and in front of my amp, there lies my wedding ring.

Keep at it Mike. You chose this path for a reason.

I'm sorry for what you are going through.

• Like 1

• Member ID:  53
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  127
  • Days Won:  13
  • Birthday:  02/17/1966

What I like/try to do is after learning a new concept, be it chords or a scale etc is to put on a backing track from youtube and actually use it for a while. Not only does this get it under your fingers, its also fun and you can start to enjoy what you're playing. I'm quite guilty of enjoying this part so much that I tend to forget going to learn something else. 

• Like 1

• Member ID:  104
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  299
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  9

Another thing that you can do Mike is to record yourself playing and join in with the "Monthly Recording Challenge" on this forum and also join in with any collaborations on this forum.

I have never been in a position to be able to play live with other musicians but I have learnt a lot by recording my playing and sharing it with others on this forum (and the old forum from which many of us were on previously). 

Do not compare yourself with famous musicians who have been playing guitar since they were children, do not look at how far you have to go to get as good as they are. Instead look at how far you have come! Play songs that you love for yourself and share them with us. Write your oun music and record that and share it with us also.

p.s. You do not have to have a song in the theme of the Monthly Recording Challenge in order to post it, any subject is acceptable and would be most welcome.

3 minutes ago, Nutty1 said:

Another thing that you can do Mike is to record yourself playing and join in with the "Monthly Recording Challenge" on this forum and also join in with any collaborations on this forum.

I have never been in a position to be able to play live with other musicians but I have learnt a lot by recording my playing and sharing it with others on this forum (and the old forum from which many of us were on previously). 

Do not compare yourself with famous musicians who have been playing guitar since they were children, do not look at how far you have to go to get as good as they are. Instead look at how far you have come! Play songs that you love for yourself and share them with us. Write your oun music and record that and share it with us also.

p.s. You do not have to have a song in the theme of the Monthly Recording Challenge in order to post it, any subject is acceptable and would be most welcome.

so many questions..lol.. I've not heard of this "monthly recording challenge" however I'll cruise the site and check it out.. My immediate reaction is fright.. I've recorded myself singing and playing, and not to get too personal here, but imagine someone recorded a porn video of you and the first time you see it,  you can not be fast enough to hit the delete button! That was me recording myself singing and playing.

I need to investigate this recording challenge.. I have no clue what I would do, but I think I can do this as a challenge to overcome my stage fright (which I haven't even dealt with here yet).

• Like 1

• Member ID:  4
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  490
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Days Won:  65

Mike - finding a compatible instructor would be my first priority. I had never really played with anyone until I started to take private lessons. Each week I play through a variety of exercises with my instructor. He usually plays bass or acoustic guitar and we also make use of a drum machine and various effects. It has really given me more skill and confidence related to playing with others and keeping time. And it is a very low risk environment.

Little steps! Enjoy!

• Like 2