WHAT'S GOING ON THIS MONTH
  • This Month's Live Streaming Guitar Lessons: THURSDAY MARCH 19TH - FINGERSTYLE SONGWRITING WITH BOB BENNETT. Brilliant guitarist and gifted song-writer, Bob Bennett, has been inspiring audiences for decades. His 1982 project "Matters of the Heart" was voted one of the top 20 CCM albums of all time. TUESDAY MARCH 24TH BLUEGRASS FLATPICKING WITH DARIN ALDRIDGE Darin was voted the IBMA Mentor of the Year by the Bluegrass Association. A brilliant traditional bluegrass flatpicking guitarist, Darin and his wife are Grand Old Opry favorites. Watch LIVE on our Guitar Gathering YouTube Channel. It's going to be a great month! Learn all you can!
Sign in to follow this  
Dave White

Nashville Guitar Stores

For those planning to attend the conference and have been saving their pennies - here is a list of my favorite Nashville guitar stores.

Does anyone have any other favorites?

Note the hours of operation. A number of them are also open by appointment.

Artisan Guitars (My favorite guitar shop)

http://artisanguitars.com

• Monday by appointment
  • 10 AM to 6 PM Tuesday - Wednesday
  • 10 AM to 5 PM Thursday - Saturday
  • Closed Sundays

The Factory at Franklin
230 Franklin Road
Suite 11-GG
Franklin, TN 37064
phone: 866-265-5993; 615-595-2544

Carter Vintage Guitars (A great guitar shop - about a mile from Gruhn's)

https://cartervintage.com

• 10:30-6:30 Mon-Sat
  • 1:00-5:00 pm Sun

625 8th Ave. South
phone: 615 915-1851

Cotton Music Center (A nice shop - not too far from Carter's and Gruhn's)

http://www.cottenmusic.com/

• 10 am - 6:00 pm Monday through Friday
  • Saturday by appointment only (call: 615-266-6120)
  • Closed Sunday

phone: 615-383-8947
434 Houston Street, Suite 131

Gruhn Guitars (It goes without saying - The guitar store)

http://Guitars.com

• Monday - Saturday 10:00 am - 6:00pm

2120 8th Ave. South
Phone: 615.256.2033

Germantown Guitars (A fairly new shop owned by guitarist Jonathan Brown - many of us met him during the conference a couple years ago)

http://www.germantownguitars.com/

• Monday-Saturday by appointment

1403 4th Avenue N
phone: 615 593-7224

Edited by Dave White
  • Like 2

Hi, is anyone planning on checking out some guitar stores at the 2019 GG?

If you only hit one, as @Dave White said, " Gruhn Guitars (It goes without saying - The guitar store) "

• Like 1

8 hours ago, matonanjin said:

If you only hit one, as @Dave White said, " Gruhn Guitars (It goes without saying - The guitar store) "

Yep - Artisan will always be my favorite (great customer service - and they did something very kind for me once - but that is another story) - but Gruhn is one of the guitar treasures of the world. And it is not only the guitars - stick around a while and talk to Mr. Gruhn (ask him anything about guitars or ask him to see his snakes - they really are pretty interesting) or Greg Voros (he gets my vote for the coolest guy on the planet).

Also - I believe that Germantown Guitars is now closed.

Less than 60 days away!

What are the hours for the GG? Sounds like there is a lot going on. I fly in on June 11 and leave on the 15.

I would have to go during the GG to see Gruhn. Is there time enough without missing something?

Thanks 

Eric

Eric (@Sonicfreq), the normal hours at Gruhn's are Monday through Saturday 10:00 am - 6:00 pm. If we assume that Steve follows the same timetable as last year, your best window is probably Tuesday afternoon June 11. There will be an early registration Tuesday at Trevecca from about 3:00 - 4:30, but that's optional. Nothing will be scheduled for the group as a whole on Tuesday evening. Typically after early registration we carpool to dinner and hit Third and Lindsley or the Station Inn if there's a good show. Then it will likely be nonstop until 4:30 Friday afternoon. We will probably wrap up around noon on Saturday, which might give you another window for Gruhn's, depending on when you have to get to the airport. There is also a remote chance that Steve might conduct a live lesson that week from Gruhn's, but I consider that unlikely because (1) now the number of attendees exceeds the capacity of the store and (2) it's not on the live lesson schedule. In mid May we can expect Steve's e-mail with the final schedule of events, an invitation to play in the student showcase, and sign up for guitar setups with Greg Voros. Our posts from last year's gathering are here, which should give you an idea of what to expect.

PS / Oops, sorry, I linked to the fingerstyle retreat; the gathering posts are here.

Edited by DianeB

Last fall at the Fingerstyle retreat, a number of folks went to Artisan Guitars and they spoke very highly of the place. Never been there myself but they seemed to have had a great time. Gruhn's goes without saying, it's a must visit if you've never been there. It was wonderful last year when we got the upstairs tour, if that happens again this year it's well worth going.