• Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  177
  • Birthday:  07/19/1948
  • Device:  Windows

I went to my local guitar store today and didn't come out with a guitar!!!  I actually went to look at one in particular and, of course, fell in love with it.  But didn't buy it!  And my wife was with me, encouraged me to make an offer it, and I still didn't!  And I'm feeling ok!:o

All I came out of the store with was a hygrometer!  A D'Addorio Planet Waves Humiditrak.  It monitors the humidity in my music room and pushes the results to my phone.  I've gone way too long without humidifying my music room and I finally  started a humidifier this morning.  I have no idea how much damage I done to my guitars.

But since I started the humidifier I figured I need to see how it works.  The guy that owns the guitar store recommended this one and he uses it in his house.   It will be interesting to see how it works!

Currently 42% humidity and 71 F!

What is everyone else using to humidify your music room and monitor?

• Like 1

• Member ID:  12
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  184
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Days Won:  177
  • Birthday:  07/19/1948

And the second part of this question is: Where do you like to ideally keep the humidity in your music room/studio/house?

• Member ID:  64
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  169
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  20
  • Device:  Macintosh

The ideal humidity range for an acoustic guitar is 45-55 percent, but 40-60 percent is generally acceptable.

• Member ID:  8
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  199
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  6

Thankfully I don't have as much of a problem with humidity now that I'm in Florida.  Back in TN, I had to case all of my guitars in fall and winter as it was not possible to isolate the room I used, and a whole house humidifier was out of my budget.  It got really dry, below 20%! 

Now the only time it gets slightly dry is a week or so in the winter (like right now, lol!), and it generally doesn't dip too much below the 40 percent mark.  Most other times it ranges from 50-55%.

Again, I can't isolate the room I'm in - this is the only room where the dogs can sit by the window and randomly bark at nothing, and yell at the postman when he delivers the mail :S 

I do have a hygrometer in here just to make sure we are in a good range :)

• Member ID:  4
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  490
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Days Won:  65

I find the humidity in our house dips into the high 20s or low 30s during both the winter and summer months - (during the summer because my wife runs the air conditioner 24/7):)

My guitars are stored in my music room/study which is approximately 10' by 15'. I use the following to maintain humidity levels between 40-50%:

Room humidifier: AIRCARE MA080 - It requires regular filter changes and cleaning, but it works well and is pretty quiet. It runs 24/7 during the summer and winter. Typically, I need to fill it once a week, but with the latest cold wave, I have been refilling it twice a day!

Case humidifiers: Oasis OH-6 - I use these in all my guitar cases during the winter months. They require very little maintenance and I have never had one leak.

Hygrometer: Stewmac Hygrometer/Thermometer - I have used some of the small electronic models, but I like this one because it is so easy to read.

• Like 1

• Member ID:  332
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  51
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  2

I keep D'Addario Two Way Humidification System packs in my Martin Acoustics. There are 3 packs to a guitar, two in a holder that hangs over the strings down into the sound hole, and one up by the headstock. These packs are designed to monitor the humidity in the guitar and dispense moisture when needed, and draw moisture away when there is too much humidity. When a packet no longer feels fluid, you replace it. The starter pack was something like $30.00, I then got 4 replacement packs (with 3 packs in each) for $42.00 at Guitar Center online, which is cheaper than in the store. Been using over a year and still have a couple of the replacements that have yet to be used. This is an easy, no mess, no fuss way of insuring the guitar has has the correct amount of moisture throughout the year.

Dan Brown

• Member ID:  2
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  155

We have to run the heater throughout the winter so it's always extremely dry in the house. I use case & soundhole humidifiers. Originally I started out with Humidipaks but now use the Boveda refills that fit inside the pouches. Boveda used to use the word humidipak in their advertising. Looks like they've removed that specific term now. They work the same as the original Humidipak replacements.

And I use a case hygrometer--a Caliber IV Digital Hygromter by Western Humidor. I leave one in each compartment of the guitar cases. 

Bovida packs work in the guitar humidity bags..... two in the sound hole and one in the neck head stock compartment of the case, I use 72% 3ea per case. These keep my guitar at 50-55%.

I shop sales in Amazon and order when I find these at about 2.00 - 2.50 per pack. Depending on your local humidity levels and the type of case ( My Taylor case is tighter and these last 4-5 months. My Martin case these last 2-3 months.

31+nF6hCH+L.jpg

Boveda Technology Works Two Ways

Whether it’s food, cigars, cigarettes, RYO, chewing tobacco or herbal medicine, these products lose their character if the humidity isn’t right. Too much humidity is just as bad as being too dry, especially when mold enters the picture. Boveda’s patented technology adds or removes humidity as conditions require, maintaining the specific moisture content engineered into each pack. Available in three sizes and a range of RH levels, there’s a Boveda for every package, container, and personal taste.

What Humidity Level Do I Need?

Boveda is available in relative humidity levels of 62, 65, 69, 72, 75, and 84% (exclusively for seasoning). All Boveda are accurate to +/- 1% of the RH printed on the pack in an air-tight environment. Humidors are not air tight. Depending on humidor quality and ambient conditions, it’s not uncommon for the actual RH to be stable anywhere from 2-6 points below the Boveda RH you’ve chosen. This is why we recommend 72% for your first set after seasoning. If it’s 72 on the nose, you’re perfect. If it drops a few points, you’re still perfect. Based on how your humidor performs, you can decide whether to move to 62, 65, 69, or 75.

How Do I Know When Boveda Needs To Be Replaced?

All Boveda will turn into a solid wafer when they’re dead. So it’s short of that, when there aren’t many soft spots left, that you’ll want to replace them. Pronounced crystallization and hardening of the corners first is completely normal.

What Makes Boveda Different?

All humidification products are not created equal, and we know it’s difficult to cut through all of the misinformation out there. Below are some simple points which we believe will help consumers (and retailers) understand the important differences between the various types of humidification on the market. If you think your humidification device is "regulating" to a certain RH level because the packaging says so, it's very simple to test. Place the (filled) device in a clear air-tight container with a hygrometer and let it sit for 24 hours. Only Boveda will still be reading at the RH level it's supposed to, because it's the only true two-way humidity control.

How Many Boveda Do I Need?

Humidor Capacity Wood Plastic
0-50 2+ 1
50-100 2-4+ 1
100-150 4-6+ 2
150-200 6-8+ 2
200-250 8-10+ 2-3

How Do I Choose The Right Number Of Boveda?
  • We recommend using at least one large 60 gram Boveda per 25 cigars your humidor holds, even if it isn’t full. It’s still air space and wood that needs proper humidification.
  • Because Boveda will never over-humidify beyond the number on the pack, using more than is recommended will just work more efficiently and need to be replaced less often.
  • Air-tight containers like plastic tupperdors and travel humidors don't need as much horsepower to keep humidified because they don't leak as much air.

The Boveda Isn't Reaching The Number On The Pack - What's Wrong?

This is a common question and the solution always boils down to one (or more) of these three issues:

• You didn't season your humidor or it needs to be re-seasoned because it's winter or you live in a very dry climate.
  • Your hygrometer needs to be calibrated.
  • You're not using enough or the right size Boveda.

Note: Do not mix Boveda RH levels within the same humidor, and do not use Boveda in the same humidor with other humidification products. They will fight against each other and reduce the efficiency of the Boveda.

• Like 1

• Member ID:  72
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  126
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  3

I now use a method someone on the old forum talked about..  a sponge within a hard plastic soap case with holes drilled in top of case . One in the head and one in the body case area. I only use distilled water and it works better than most packs I tried in the past. In our music room we use a Crane teardrop humidifier.  Boy do I miss Florida as Georgia is so dry in winter. 

Edited by columbo

7 hours ago, Popeye said:
Bovida packs work in the guitar humidity bags..... two in the sound hole and one in the neck head stock compartment of the case, I use 72% 3ea per case. These keep my guitar at 50-55%.

I shop sales in Amazon and order when I find these at about 2.00 - 2.50 per pack. Depending on your local humidity levels and the type of case ( My Taylor case is tighter and these last 4-5 months. My Martin case these last 2-3 months.

31+nF6hCH+L.jpg

Boveda Technology Works Two Ways

Whether it’s food, cigars, cigarettes, RYO, chewing tobacco or herbal medicine, these products lose their character if the humidity isn’t right. Too much humidity is just as bad as being too dry, especially when mold enters the picture. Boveda’s patented technology adds or removes humidity as conditions require, maintaining the specific moisture content engineered into each pack. Available in three sizes and a range of RH levels, there’s a Boveda for every package, container, and personal taste.

What Humidity Level Do I Need?

Boveda is available in relative humidity levels of 62, 65, 69, 72, 75, and 84% (exclusively for seasoning). All Boveda are accurate to +/- 1% of the RH printed on the pack in an air-tight environment. Humidors are not air tight. Depending on humidor quality and ambient conditions, it’s not uncommon for the actual RH to be stable anywhere from 2-6 points below the Boveda RH you’ve chosen. This is why we recommend 72% for your first set after seasoning. If it’s 72 on the nose, you’re perfect. If it drops a few points, you’re still perfect. Based on how your humidor performs, you can decide whether to move to 62, 65, 69, or 75.

How Do I Know When Boveda Needs To Be Replaced?

All Boveda will turn into a solid wafer when they’re dead. So it’s short of that, when there aren’t many soft spots left, that you’ll want to replace them. Pronounced crystallization and hardening of the corners first is completely normal.

What Makes Boveda Different?

All humidification products are not created equal, and we know it’s difficult to cut through all of the misinformation out there. Below are some simple points which we believe will help consumers (and retailers) understand the important differences between the various types of humidification on the market. If you think your humidification device is "regulating" to a certain RH level because the packaging says so, it's very simple to test. Place the (filled) device in a clear air-tight container with a hygrometer and let it sit for 24 hours. Only Boveda will still be reading at the RH level it's supposed to, because it's the only true two-way humidity control.

How Many Boveda Do I Need?

Humidor Capacity Wood Plastic
0-50 2+ 1
50-100 2-4+ 1
100-150 4-6+ 2
150-200 6-8+ 2
200-250 8-10+ 2-3

How Do I Choose The Right Number Of Boveda?
  • We recommend using at least one large 60 gram Boveda per 25 cigars your humidor holds, even if it isn’t full. It’s still air space and wood that needs proper humidification.
  • Because Boveda will never over-humidify beyond the number on the pack, using more than is recommended will just work more efficiently and need to be replaced less often.
  • Air-tight containers like plastic tupperdors and travel humidors don't need as much horsepower to keep humidified because they don't leak as much air.

The Boveda Isn't Reaching The Number On The Pack - What's Wrong?

This is a common question and the solution always boils down to one (or more) of these three issues:

• You didn't season your humidor or it needs to be re-seasoned because it's winter or you live in a very dry climate.
  • Your hygrometer needs to be calibrated.
  • You're not using enough or the right size Boveda.

Note: Do not mix Boveda RH levels within the same humidor, and do not use Boveda in the same humidor with other humidification products. They will fight against each other and reduce the efficiency of the Boveda.

Mike, I find the idea of bluetooth notifications to be quite novel but am not sure about the Planet Waves one. Have you ever tried the Boveda Smart Sensor or know anyone who uses it? I really like their humidity packs and would consider staying with that brand.

https://bovedainc.com/new-boveda-smart-sensor/?keyword_session_id=vt~adwords|kt~%2Bhygrometer|mt~b|ta~240241256623&_vsrefdom=wordstream&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4dqxo4bp2AIV0brACh2RygH_EAAYASAAEgJKo_D_BwE

And here's more info on their bluetooth app: https://bovedainc.com/app/

Cindy- I have not tried the smart sensors.  I can see some value from a convenience standpoint. It would allow you to view Humidity level without opening the guitar case. This is important if your in a real dry area and you do not want to expose the instrument and nullify your humidity packs by opening and checking the hygrometer daily. Depends if this is a guitar you are storing for periods of time. Everyday used guitars are coming out of the case and cycling  air on a daily bases. When I remove my guitar from the case to play, I set the three Boveda packs back in the case and snap it shut to continue the process while I play. There are some parts of the country where the humidity levels are touchy and you need all the help you can. When I get a low humidity, reading do to a stretch of dry weather, I will watch for those days when it gets back in the 50- 60% range and open the guitar case and expose the inner case to the 55% for as long as I can to help stabilize the case again.

• Like 1

• Member ID:  46
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  8
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/26/1979

I use a Thermopro sensor that I bought on amazon.ca:

https://www.amazon.ca/ThermoPro-Digital-Hygrometer-Thermometer-Humidity/dp/B01J1AQ076/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1516756715&sr=8-1&keywords=thermopro+hygrometer

Also, for the winter, I use a Honeywell humidifier

https://www.amazon.ca/Honeywell-HCM-300T-Quietcare-Humidifier-Gallon/dp/B000G0JCX0

and for the summer I use Danby Premiere dehumidifier :

https://www.danby.com/fr/products/confort-au-foyer/ddr70b1cp/

I keep my room between 45-50% of humidity all the time.

On 1/21/2018 at 9:51 AM, Popeye said:

Cindy- I have not tried the smart sensors.  I can see some value from a convenience standpoint. It would allow you to view Humidity level without opening the guitar case. This is important if your in a real dry area and you do not want to expose the instrument and nullify your humidity packs by opening and checking the hygrometer daily. Depends if this is a guitar you are storing for periods of time. Everyday used guitars are coming out of the case and cycling  air on a daily bases. When I remove my guitar from the case to play, I set the three Boveda packs back in the case and snap it shut to continue the process while I play. There are some parts of the country where the humidity levels are touchy and you need all the help you can. When I get a low humidity, reading do to a stretch of dry weather, I will watch for those days when it gets back in the 50- 60% range and open the guitar case and expose the inner case to the 55% for as long as I can to help stabilize the case again.

This is interesting Popeye. Sounds like Taylor will replace the battery compartment with one that contains a smart sensor.