• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  97
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  9

About 99% of my electric guitar playing is through headphones.  I have an amp (Mesa Boogie Dual Rec) but rarely turn it on.  Even when I record, I use Direct Interface (guitar directly to either my Fractal Axe or my interface and then using software).

I wanted to post a quick blind shootout of a couple of different things I've used over the past five years.  In the chat, I had stated that I haven't been using my Fractal Axe much.  The reason why is that I am picking up my guitar constantly throughout the day, and I don't want to have to keep turning it on and off.  As a result, I use software most of the time, mainly Scruffham Amps SGear.  I have it set up in my DAW at all times, so when I play I just pick up the guitar, put on headphones, and I'm playing immediately.

Anyhow, I recorded four riffs on 3 different setups.  In alphabetical order:  Axe, IK Multimedia Amplitube 4, and Scruffham Amps SGear.  It's not a perfect comparison, because I used a couple of other plugins on a couple of riffs.  Mainly, when using Scruffham I use a reverb plugin (Fabfilter Pro-R); the Axe has a great sounding reverb itself.  Also, using Amplitube, I couldn't find a good delay preset for the 3rd riff, so I did use Soundtoys Echoboy.

More info later...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Member ID:  56
  • Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  97
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  9

I understand some people wanting to always play through a real amp.  They want to be able to feel the sound waves on their chest.  Perhaps because I started playing again when I didn't have my own guitar space, I had to use DI and headphones.  IMHO, I like the way I can dial up any amp tone in 5 seconds.  Furthermore, I can add FX to make myself sound like I'm playing in a huge auditorium or a small studio.

If I were wanting to play out, I would definitely look into getting a Fractal Axe, Kemper Amp, Helix, etc.  You can play those through headphones as well as hooking them up to an amp/speaker and playing live.  The tones you can dial in are fantastic.

I have no problem being a DI guy.  Frankly, I've never gotten Amplitube to sound really good and it's expensive anyway. If you have a good DAW with amp sims, that'll take you a long way.  Add Scruffham SGear for $129, and it's all you really need.

By the way, for the files above, all played with my Fender '52 RI Tele.  I didn't do any high distortion tones because IMHO those are easy to dial in with just about any software.  The files above are 1-Amplitibe, 2-Axe, 3-Scruffham SGear. 

• Thanks 1

• Member ID:  14
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  529
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  09/26/1951
  • Device:  iPhone

Nice playing Cap. Some volume differences in the comparisons of the 3 recordings but I think the Ax sounds a little warmer in the cleaner tones than the other 2. Just listening through the laptop speakers however...

Amplitude is the lesser of the 3 in my opinion in terms of tonal quality. That said. I am a poor example of tone analysis. 

As an aside, my recent OS update rendered my Logic Express useless, incompatable. I will have to consider an upgrade to Logic Pro at last...sigh. Haven't been recording much the last couple of years though so not urgent on my part. Back to GB.

Greg

• Member ID:  16
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  218
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  16
  • Device:  Macintosh

I just really dig your playing style. 

• Member ID:  15
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  239
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  11/12/1962

I like the Concept Capm, Being able to record songs and licks and then going back and changing amp models to find the tones you are looking for with just clicking a button . That is the way to go. The learning curve is high. Pedal boards  would work better for players on the go. with presets. like Six String. has . I would like your set up if i had the space . and the wife would not move are mess with it . but i dont have that space i have to set up and then  disconnect  to much pain. then having to figure it all out again. That why i dont record songs for here much have to set up and the go in to the computer and change stuff. then when done having to change them back. But great sounds i liked them all . Maybe some day things will work out.