• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  24
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

I haven’t posted since the old forum. Come here on occasion to see what’s going on. But what can I say, I’m busy practicing. Monday will be one year since I bought a used Fender acoustic from a coworker.  When you are left handed, and your coworker is as well, that’s a sign you need to start playing! What are the odds when you work with 8 people??Then ordered Steve’s lesson material. 

Starting again at 48 I wasn’t expecting a lot. I learned a little as a kid, yet never lost the desire to play. I completed session 6 in the book and have deserted it since. Single notes are fairly easy. Chords have been hard. Even though I average two hours a day practicing. But I’m finally breaking through on many of them with descent speed. It also didn’t help that I practiced so much I reinjured  an old thumb tendinitis issue.

What I would give for calluses. Seems a D would be so much easier!!?

At  this point I’ve learned A Horse With No Name, that one is easy. And the rhythm  Tom Petty plays for Free Fallin’. Haven’t learned the lead yet. One chord took a couple of months. The first part of The Joker by Steve Miller, (the arpegiated chords) and I just started Sweet Home Alabama. Being a huge fan, I was like a child yesterday when I got the first few notes down, went through the rhythm a few times, and heard the opening riff come from my Strat. 

I’ve  also been working on the A minor scale. And will pick up the book again soon to work on fingerpicking and see how that goes. I’ve been doing a simple exercise for it. Which I started with the thumb issue having to limit fretting due to pain.

Thanks to everyone here for the support and to Steve for teaching and creating this place to share and ask questions. Even with the frustrations it’s been a great ride. I’m thinking in another year, I should be able to play many of the songs I like.

Mike

• Member ID:  275
  • Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  213
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  11
  • Birthday:  07/17/1979
  • Device:  Macintosh

Congrats Mike! You'll never be sad that you put in all this time on the guitar. Music is so rewarding and it's a gift that not only blesses you, but others around you too. Sounds like you are quite dedicated and you're going to continue advancing steadily. This is one area where I think we are only limited by the limits we place on ourselves :)

• Member ID:  5
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,077
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  166
  • Device:  Android

1 hour ago, Mike said:

I haven’t posted since the old forum. Come here on occasion to see what’s going on. But what can I say, I’m busy practicing. Monday will be one year since I bought a used Fender acoustic from a coworker.  When you are left handed, and your coworker is as well, that’s a sign you need to start playing! What are the odds when you work with 8 people??Then ordered Steve’s lesson material. 

Starting again at 48 I wasn’t expecting a lot. I learned a little as a kid, yet never lost the desire to play. I completed session 6 in the book and have deserted it since. Single notes are fairly easy. Chords have been hard. Even though I average two hours a day practicing. But I’m finally breaking through on many of them with descent speed. It also didn’t help that I practiced so much I reinjured  an old thumb tendinitis issue.

What I would give for calluses. Seems a D would be so much easier!!?

At  this point I’ve learned A Horse With No Name, that one is easy. And the rhythm  Tom Petty plays for Free Fallin’. Haven’t learned the lead yet. One chord took a couple of months. The first part of The Joker by Steve Miller, (the arpegiated chords) and I just started Sweet Home Alabama. Being a huge fan, I was like a child yesterday when I got the first few notes down, went through the rhythm a few times, and heard the opening riff come from my Strat. 

I’ve  also been working on the A minor scale. And will pick up the book again soon to work on fingerpicking and see how that goes. I’ve been doing a simple exercise for it. Which I started with the thumb issue having to limit fretting due to pain.

Thanks to everyone here for the support and to Steve for teaching and creating this place to share and ask questions. Even with the frustrations it’s been a great ride. I’m thinking in another year, I should be able to play many of the songs I like.

Mike

Welcome back Mike! Be sure to join us for Live Lessons on most Tuesday evenings on the Guitar Gathering YouTube Channel, and post your progress with the LMG course under the appropriate forum on this site. We'd love to hear about your guitar learning journey.

All the best!

Neil

• Member ID:  96
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  19
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/14/1947

Mike -

Congrats on your first year and the progress you have made.  It sounds like you are having fun, and that's what it's all about.

• Member ID:  9
  • Group:  Moderators
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Content Count:  820
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Achievement Points:  1
  • Days Won:  212
  • Birthday:  01/01/1953
  • Device:  Macintosh

Welcome back, Mike! You have a plan and you're enjoying yourself. Stick with it!

• Member ID:  243
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  541
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  64
  • Device:  Windows

Congratulations Mike! I started at 48 also that was 9 years ago. It just keeps getting better.