• Content Count:  278
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/13/1955
  • Device:  iPhone

Greg,

I just finished my first electric setup on a used I-35C Collings using the Les Paul setup in your course.   The pickup height is as recommended (1/16").  The G string intonation matches on both the open and 12th fret.  However, when I play the G string, especially up the fretboard, I get a flat-sounding or jangled (off) tone.  All of the other strings sound okay.  The pickup poles do not appear to follow the radius.  Any suggestions?

On another note, I am assuming when measuring string height/pickup heights the measurement is from the bottom of the string in question.  

Thanks,

Bryan

• Member ID:  243
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  541
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  64
  • Device:  Windows

Hi Bryan,

Collings makes some great guitars. Did you put new strings on the guitar? Did you use Big Bends Nut Juice during the string change because it really helps. Yes you definitely measure from the bottom of the string.

Greg has his own thread in this same section. Just look for the Greg Voros setting. I did the same thing and Greg will never see your post. 

• Member ID:  157
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00

@Randy120  Thanks for the response.  They were new D'Addario NY steel coated strings, but I didn't use anything on the nut.  I don't really do electric, prefer acoustic, but wanting to give it a try on Steve's Jazz workout.   I installed a pick guard, so it forced me to install new strings as well.   I'll try Greg's thread.  

Thanks again,

Bryan

@Plantsman13 Do you mean NYXL? NYXL are not coated, but they are excellent strings. I have used them for several months and I am a convert. I recommend Big Bends Nut Juice anytime you change your strings because it improves string movement through the nut. Some use pencil graphite, but Big Bends is superior. It might make your G string work more efficiently. 

@Randy120  They were the XL Coated Nickel EXP110 NY steel.  My first time using them.

I'm purchasing the Nut Juice in the near future.  Makes sense to me over the pencil graphite I've heard of before.

Thanks again for the insight.

Bryan

• Like 1

• Member ID:  16
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  218
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  16
  • Device:  Macintosh

What position was the guitar in when you set the intonation?  It needs to be in upright playing position while you make the adjustments.

If you had the guitar flat on a bench doing the intonation, try it again with the guitar in playing position and see if that helps.

If you set the intonation with the guitar in playing position and are still having this issue, you may need to sink the pick ups a tad.  If there is not enough space between the string and pickup, the magnets in the pickup can exert enough force on the string to affect intonation (which is why you need to set intonation in playing position so gravity is not also acting to move the string towards the pickup.). 

The pole pieces on all my guitars are pretty much flat and I've seen no reason to adjust any of them.  I'm satisfied with the tone and the string to string volume is well balanced.  While I haven't fiddled with pole pieces, I do angle the depth of the whole pickup to get the optimal volume balance from low E to high E. (ie the Low E side is set deeper than the high E side).

Remember that recommendations are just a starting point, not a mandate.  Every guitar is different and a slightly stronger magnet may dictate a tad more distance or vice versa.  It may take a bit of trial and error to get it dialed in but once you figure it out, you'll have your own personal reference points to work from.

Good Luck and good for you learning to do your own set ups.  

Edited by Six String
  • Like 1

@Six String   Thanks for the suggestions.  I was in the playing position, as Greg suggests, when I set the intonation.  Greg doesn't discuss the pole pieces but Dan Erlewine is always stressing the fretboard radius.  Being an electric novice leaves much room for doubt.  I had also wondered if it was just a manufacturing defect, but I've never experienced one firsthand.  I recall (perhaps incorrectly) Greg quit using D'Addario strings for quality issues overall in one of his Live Lessons.

I'll play with the pole by raising it up because it looks at rock bottom currently,

Best regards,

Bryan

Another thing I do is set the saddles in the middle (neutral) position so I can move in either direction. 

@Randy120  Thanks, I'll try it out.  D'Addario just answered my online question with a response they were sending me two new G (.17s) strings to see if that fixes the problem.  My acoustic setup is looking a whole lot simpler at this point.  ?   I'll post the results when they arrive.

• Like 1

@Plantsman13 D'Addario seems to take customer satisfaction very seriously. You are the second forum member who received free strings from D'Addario customer support. 

• Like 2

• Member ID:  594
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  49
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  2

I would replace the problematic string first when troubleshooting any instrument. There is a good chance the core of the string might have come loose from its wrap. This can cause all sorts of buzzing and intonation issues.

-Greg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1