• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  10
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  1

Hello Friends

I started session 3 today after fulfilling requirements for session 2 and I have question for eight note exercises..

Do I use down-up motion only when I play them on the same strinng??

I rewatched session and Steve is inconsistent with playing eights on different strings and even same strings sometimes.

DO I use down-up motion for all eights o just ones in the same pitch like it's stated in lesson book??

Thank you

G12

Edited by grzyman12

• Member ID:  5
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,077
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  166
  • Device:  Android

@grzyman12  There is no "hard and fast rule" for this, however, I would say with 1/8th notes you should be getting accustomed to "alternate picking" (down and up ) as you do this exercise.  One string or different strings... no matter. Later when you play at quicker tempos, you'll want to be used to alternate picking.

You can also experiment with "all down" picking too, as this does provide a slightly different tone.  

All the Best! N

• Member ID:  2,586
  • Followers:  0

1 hour ago, NeilES335 said:

@grzyman12  There is no "hard and fast rule" for this, however, I would say with 1/8th notes you should be getting accustomed to "alternate picking" (down and up ) as you do this exercise.  One string or different strings... no matter. Later when you play at quicker tempos, you'll want to be used to alternate picking.

You can also experiment with "all down" picking too, as this does provide a slightly different tone.  

All the Best! N

Ah Thak you for a fast response...

I got used to down-up picking by doing workouts from session 2 quite a lot.

It's good to have some more context for the session going forward.

Big thanks and Regards 

G12

Edited by grzyman12

• Member ID:  2,583
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  21
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Hi Everyone,

I started session 3 over the past week and am struggling with some of the exercises even at 60 bpm.  For the initial stages of getting used to the new notes and patterns, do I need to use a metronome?  I think trying to keep up is hurting me at this point.  Would it be better to practice the exercises, then when I’m able to do them properly, add in the metronome?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

• Member ID:  2,568
  • Content Count:  18

6 hours ago, Adam429 said:

Hi Everyone,

I started session 3 over the past week and am struggling with some of the exercises even at 60 bpm.  For the initial stages of getting used to the new notes and patterns, do I need to use a metronome?  I think trying to keep up is hurting me at this point.  Would it be better to practice the exercises, then when I’m able to do them properly, add in the metronome?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

As you mention, I would recommend getting more comfortable with the exercise before adding the metronome. You want to simplify it as much as possible, then you can add layers of difficulty once you get comfortable. Also, 60bpm is the target speed, so it's what you should work up to, not necessarily what you should practice at.

I would suggest to start playing the exercise very slowly, without a metronome. Pay attention to the note's duration if you can, if you can't it's fine, that would be step 2 once you can play the right notes. Once you're comfortable with that you can add the metronome, for me 40bpm has often been a good starting point for doing these exercises. Then you can raise the bpm a bit (2 to 5) and try again.

• Like 1

• Member ID:  2,583
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  21

1 hour ago, 3PowerChordsAndAnAttitude said:

As you mention, I would recommend getting more comfortable with the exercise before adding the metronome. You want to simplify it as much as possible, then you can add layers of difficulty once you get comfortable. Also, 60bpm is the target speed, so it's what you should work up to, not necessarily what you should practice at.

I would suggest to start playing the exercise very slowly, without a metronome. Pay attention to the note's duration if you can, if you can't it's fine, that would be step 2 once you can play the right notes. Once you're comfortable with that you can add the metronome, for me 40bpm has often been a good starting point for doing these exercises. Then you can raise the bpm a bit (2 to 5) and try again.

Great, thank you!  I will try playing without a metronome for a few sessions and then add it in slowly like you mentioned.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  2,586

I have question about bonus exercises.

Should we put same standard of speed as for lessons from main program?

I mean for these Arpeggio like exercises and more complex ones. I assumed target speed is 60 bpm but clarification would be welcme.

19 hours ago, grzyman12 said:

I have question about bonus exercises.

Should we put same standard of speed as for lessons from main program?

I mean for these Arpeggio like exercises and more complex ones. I assumed target speed is 60 bpm but clarification would be welcme.

So far I have been using the same target bpm for both.

• Member ID:  6
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,055
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  150
  • Birthday:  12/14/1960
  • Device:  iPhone

@grzyman12 @3PowerChordsAndAnAttitude had to look up the LMG books.. been a while since I opened them

the main book doesn't state BPM for each lesson.. but the Jam CD's have a slow medium and fast tracks to them.

so use the Jam a Long CD's too.

the Bonus Book is where Steve gives a BPM count and yes they are the "bare minimum" BPM count 

but nothing saying you can't use the BPM ready to move on found in the Bonus lessons to the main lessons as well.

also don't look at the "number of weeks " to complete a lesson at the start of the chapters.. everyone is different.

there have been people have spent months working out session 4 and 4b

Session 3 recommendations

The Eighth Note Exercises (pg. 17 of the lesson book) can be played without hesitation at 60 bpm.

• The Third and Fourth String Exercises can be played steadily at 60 bpm.

• “Yankee Doodle” and “Aura Lee” can be consistently played at 90 bpm.

• “When the Saints Go Marchin’ In” can be played accurately and evenly without hesitation at 120 bpm.

Edited by Eracer_Team-DougH
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  2,298
  • Content Count:  3
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Hi everyone. Thanks so much for all your encouraging contributions. I am now on session 3 but I think my progress is rather too slow. I've been on it for almost a month now, still struggling with the bonus exercises at 60bpm. Though I'm getting better at it, I just feel my progress slow compared to all these comments I've reading here about persons spending just few weeks.

• Member ID:  5
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,077
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  166

@Giovanni Not everyone is the same... Don't be discouraged, just take it steady and be sure you can complete the lessons and the bonus lessons well, before you move on. Steve has said he wishes he had not included the "time to complete this lesson" comment for this reason. It takes time to develop the knowledge and physical skills needed to play well. So, go at your own pace and it will pay off in the future.  

Cheers; Neil

• Like 1

On 2/23/2021 at 2:26 AM, Giovanni said:

Hi everyone. Thanks so much for all your encouraging contributions. I am now on session 3 but I think my progress is rather too slow. I've been on it for almost a month now, still struggling with the bonus exercises at 60bpm. Though I'm getting better at it, I just feel my progress slow compared to all these comments I've reading here about persons spending just few weeks.

You shouldn't compare yourself with others; everyone is different and you don't know how long people practice.

If you struggle with the bonus exercises at 60bpm, at what speed do you not struggle? What about the standard exercises? And what do you struggle with exactly?

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

• Member ID:  2,298

Hi, thanks everyone for your encouragement. I have successfully completed all the session 3 exercises and songs in the lesson book and bonus resources at the required speed. I'm starting session 4 now. Thanks for your support. I almost quit at some point. Now I'm going to give my all and stay focused. Thanks once again.

• Member ID:  2,853
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  11
  • Birthday:  08/02/1961

Howdy Giovanni,

I just wanted to Congratulate you on your Progress and hopefully Inspire You to Continue. I am also a Gibson Learn and Master Guitar Student....My Old Profile Nickname was SandyB53 of which I am unable to Retrieve but I am sure you have seen some of my Posts along the Way. 

I have not Completed the Course but I do plan to Complete Most of it anyway (Just being Honest).

What I would like You to Understand is that Truly Everyone is Different in their Speed of Learning things and also Realize that some Claim to have Moved to the Next Session and have not Truly Mastered the Session they are Leaving. Let me say this....If you are Bored with your Current Session, certainly Move Up in order to Retain your Interest but Go Back Periodically and work on Mastering The Skills in the Previous Session you did not complete. You will WIN in the Long Haul. Every Skill or Skill Set You Master will simply help you build a Tool Box for Permanent Use. To Me, Playing Guitar is Simply a Collection of Learned Skills...Period. The More Skills in your Toolbox, The Better Guitar Player You Will Be....Just Look at Steve....His Skills are simply Awesome, but he Spent Many Years Learning and Developing Those Skills. Today We tend to Want to Learn to Play a Guitar like a Pro in 6 months or a Year. It will Never Happen. They didn't do it and it is Highly Likely You will not either. So Slow Down and Truly Take Your Time...It doesn't Matter How Long it Takes YOU......As long as YOU continuously Learn and Develop New Guitar Skills.....One Day you will wake up and realize just How Many Skills you have Learned and your Ability to Play Guitar will Show it. Don't Believe It? Just Look at Steve Krenz.

I Wish You Well and Hope You find the Strength and Will Power to Continue. Once you are able to begin Playing Songs from Songbooks and able to Play them by Reading the Notes, It Drives you to Continue on to Play More Songs with Greater Difficulty. Take Your Time and Enjoy The Ride.

Sandy B.

• 2 months later...

• Member ID:  2,963

Hi guys,

Started yesterday again with Session 3 after I quit earlier in Session 5. My practice routine for the moment is the following:

1. The finger exercises from Session 1
2. More First String Exercises, More Second String Exercises & More First and Second String Exercises from the bonus resources. I say the notes out loud when I play them and didn't wrote the notes above the bonus exercises.
3. Set a timer for 3 minutes and play the C and G7 chords with changes on the beat at 90 bpm 75% (working to 90 BPM). Still don't' sound great, but I am working to strengthen my fingers and hand.
4. Playing Ode to Joy and Jingle Bells with the Jam tracks and London Bridge is Falling Down and Skip To My Lou with a metronome at 90 BPM. Also playing the 2 string songs on this website (https://www.guitartutoronline.com/beginners/practice-songs/2-string-songs)
5. Playing the Eight Notes Exercises and the Third String Exercises in the book and the bonus resources with the tab.
6. Playing Mull of Kintyre and When I Need You from Easy Pop Melodies with the notes written above from the third string written above the staff. Also practice the songs from Session 3 in the book.

• Member ID:  2,963

Hi guys,

Do you have some recommendations for extra sheet music/songbooks to practice the notes on the first position?
I have already the Easy Pop Melodies from Hal Leonard, but I want some extra practice material.

Thanks for your help!

Aad