• Content Count:  7
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/24/1965
  • Device:  Windows

Hello,

I'm glad I found this website. I would like to start playing at small venues and open mic nights. I can play a bit, but, I've never played solo. I would like some tips on coming up with good intros and arrangements for songs I like, but, often songs I like from the radio aren't "solo guitar" pieces. What are some of the things you guys do when you want to get a song ready for playing in front of folks, but, the song wasn't really arranged for solo acoustic guitar. Any thoughts?

• Member ID:  9
  • Group:  Moderators
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  819
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Achievement Points:  1
  • Days Won:  211
  • Birthday:  01/01/1953
  • Device:  Macintosh

Hi, Jeff, and welcome to the discussion board. In the settings you describe, I suggest that your intro take into account factors such as where that song comes in the set (do you want a dramatic finish), the level of background noise from the audience (single notes might get lost), and how familiar the audience might be with the song (will they expect a certain lick).

Some common tricks are to strum over the opening chord during a narration; open with the last four bars of the chorus (if it starts with the verse), or the first bar, or first few bars of the first verse.

A good intro should blend well with the song and hint at what's to follow, so consider where the verse starts in the progression: on the I? the IV? the vi? Let your ear be your guide. If it pleases you, it will likely please your audience. I'm sure our gang will have other suggestions.

• Like 1

• Member ID:  6
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,056
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  150
  • Birthday:  12/14/1960
  • Device:  iPhone

Good response Dianne.

are you planning on signing at the same time?

I’d also add unless you’re in a band type jam where an electric would fit in better with drums, bass, keyboards; you’d be best to stick to acoustic.

Every guitar “guy/gal/she/he/they” play at a open place 98% play acoustic as it fills the void better, 

(like I’m the one to talk, where I primarily only use my acoustic playing in church as we have strict rules of not standing out but supporting) 

I typically gravitate to my electric’s as I try to add a simple solo into a “strum n sing “ song. 

as Dianne said people generally know the “hook” riff. 
check out the Live Lessons link on the above menu of this website.
look for Steve’s lessons on Brown Eyed Girl.

it’s got a great “hook” intro of 3rds diad that everyone goes yeah I know that song. You just need that intro rest came be strum n sing open chords. 

another really easy intro is on Clapton Wonderful Tonight, 

it’s a little riff at the 12th fret (don’t need to add the bends) if you can reach the 12th … your acoustic have a cut away? Then the rest of the song can be done in G, D, C open chords 

you won’t need to do the 3rds walk up if you have the little intro lick that you can use at the end of the song too

Edited by Eracer_Team-DougH
  • Like 1

• Member ID:  3,190
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00

Some songs, to me, naturally lend themselves to being covered easily by a solo player, I am thinking of how to approach songs that don't. I like the idea of strumming through the chorus and talking over that strumming as a sort of "introduction". Is that what you were suggesting, DianB? I think I will go onto youtube and see if I can just find people doing covers and pay attention to their intros. If you guys have vids of covers you do I'd certainly watch them.

• Like 1

Just wanted to let you guys know that Youtube has been a great help. I just type in the song title of a song followed by Acoustic Cover and most of the time I'm getting good results. Lot's of inspiration and ideas to draw from.

• Member ID:  1,660
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  121
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Achievement Points:  1
  • Days Won:  27
  • Birthday:  12/12/1957

Hi Jeff and Welcome!   Steve did a Live Lesson on arranging a solo finger style composition several weeks ago.    He used the basic melody of "Tennessee Waltz" and stepped us through the process of creating a solo arrangement.     It might provide a few  ideas for you to use.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for sharing that!

• Member ID:  223
  • Topic Count:  362
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  538
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  29

Interesting topic.

I always thought that the  melody notes alone were  the key to a solo. Simply, because most of the solos I like seemed to sound like  “unwritten melody” that could have easily been a part of the the song melody.

I also used  to think the pentatonic scale  alone was the answer, then I found a solo for “Blue Eyes Crying in the Night” and it combined both E major and E minor pentatonic scales and it seemed to mimic the song melody.
So, it seems there’s lots of options. Melodies, scales , combination of scales/ modes, chords, and chord tones. It not an easy task. I’ve heard some solos where they just play some common licks that have nothing in common with the song .The notes used  are correct but they are meaningless and don’t convey the feelings in the song.

Then there are songs with minimal melody notes to draw from. I think in those cases you need to tap into the emotions of the song. One  song that comes to mind is  “Comfortably Numb”and its  first solo. The melody notes would never get you that solo. It seems like the  Bm minor pentatonic scales make up the notes of the solo but it’s obvious that just  having the right notes is not enough. The solo in that song ( for me) tapped into the emotions of the lyrics. The articulations used with those scale notes and the position played on the neck, in my opinion is what made  that solo just right for that  song.

One book I  would recommend is “Soloing Strategies” for guitar by Tom Kolb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kFvhCFzoF8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UXNSkg06VE

Edited by Triple-o