• Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Device:  Windows

Hey, I really like the lay-out of this new forum.  I have a Taylor 612 Acoustic guitar.  I love it.  However, as a relatively new player (still struggling with barre chords) I was wondering if I would find more fun and flexibility in my playing if I added a pick-up.  I'm a bit concerned I might ruin a perfectly good guitar.  Any thoughts out there?  If yes, any recommendations on what kind of pick-up? Thank you.

• Member ID:  4
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  490
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Days Won:  65

KR - I have a K&K pickup in my Collings guitar. It sounds great. You also might want to give some consideration to what kind of amp you will be using.

Do you have a local Taylor dealer that can make some recommendations?

• Member ID:  210
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Wow, I just heard Tyler Grant play a Collings--beautiful.  Is that you with Phil Keaggy?  I love Phil and his guitar playing.  I found a good luthier close by, but no Taylor dealer.  I was thinking about a Fishman soundbox for an amp?

Yes - that photo was taken during our Guitar Gathering in 2016 - Phil did a session with us.

Fishman makes great acoustic amps.

Forgot to mention - if you are going to go with a Fishman amp, you may want to check out the Fishman line of pick-ups. It is always a good thing to make sure that you pick-up and amp work well together.

• Member ID:  15
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  239
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  11/12/1962

Hi KR Ullrich, I just installed a Lr Baggs Element In my Blueridge Br 40 and it sounds great on all my amps . I have a martin with sonecore Fishman pick up.  A Blueridge Br 140 with LR bags anthem in it.  A Martin Dc aura GT  with a Fishman aura plus in it . and I'll be frank the L R Baggs pickups are by far the best. They work with all amps, sound great . The Fishman sounds good. But not as clear and detailed as the L R Baggs . Gibson installs L R Baggs In Their acoustic guitars. Steve's guitar has L R Baggs in it . The Anthem has a pick up and mic. and you get the sound of the pick some times. The element Is a under saddle pickup with a Volume And tone control. With out the pick noise. with all the different set ups that I have here . I will list them in order of best to worst. 1. LR Baggs Element  2. Lr Baggs Anthem. 3. Fish man Aura Plus. 4. Fishman Sonecore. I have had six Guitar with the fishman pickups in them and have sold them all. The amp list that the Lr bags sound good on. Peavey Acoustic 20 watt amp. Fender Princeton 65 watt. Traynor Tube amp40 watt.  Katana 50 watt amp Mustang two amp. I like it so much that I will never buy another Acoustic electric guitar again. I will just install a LR Baggs pickup. The Blueridge br 40 with the Lr Baggs Element is the most played guitar I have. and the cheapest one I have. and that's funny. and kinda Sad. a 350.00 Dollar Guitar sounds better then a 2399.00 martin Guitar.  Hope this helps in Choosing the right pickup. Blue Dog