• Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  177
  • Birthday:  07/19/1948
  • Device:  Windows

Any pedal freaks on here subscribe to Distortion Magazine?   What do you think?

I can't legitimately describe myself as a "pedal freak" since I can't decide if I'm a pedal guy or modelling guy.  That changes just about monthly.  But I would have to admit to spending too much time chasing tone and putzing around with either pedals or my POD HD 500X when I should be practicing.

But for any of you that haven't seen it this is a fun, free read about pedals.  Distortion Magazine .  It recently changed its name and you may be familiar with it as that previous name, which I can't remember.

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  16
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  218
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  16
  • Device:  Macintosh

The HD500X was a gateway drug for me.  I was hard over on tube amps and individual pedals, for years but once I went with the HD500X, I played it nearly exclusively for about 2 years, and just sold one of my tube amps and traded the HD500X up to a Helix LT. 

As far as I can tell, my pedal addiction has been supplanted by the methadone of the Helix.  Its nice to be off the madness of trying to choose one pedal to drop $100+ bucks on from 100 fuzzes and 1000+ Overdrive/Distortions.  I now have a bunch of them built in the Helix and use the Klon and OCD dirt models and Big Muff Fuzz model along with 3-4 different amp models from about 60 on hand, for just about everything.

I should credit CapM's AxeFx recordings as an influence in my decision to try modeling when I found a product that seemed more suited to my goal of playing live (not to mention more in my price range).  I liked what I heard from CapM's modeler but a rack unit seemed more suited to studio work (plus expensive), so I didn't take the plunge for a while after he convinced me tube amp sound didn't just come from tube amps.

Edited by Six String
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

• Member ID:  1,211
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  16
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

I enjoy the magazine but it feeds my pedal GAS severely.

• Like 1