• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Steve did some Billy Gibbons stuff, some time ago.  I am having trouble locating it.  Does anyone have a link?

Also if you recall what books/guides were suggested, that would be helpful as well.

• Member ID:  9
  • Group:  Moderators
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  820
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Achievement Points:  1
  • Days Won:  212
  • Birthday:  01/01/1953
  • Device:  Macintosh

@Park Ranger, you might be thinking of a pair of Live Lessons Steve did in 2016. They are on the old Ustream site. Click on "Show More" until you get to them. A quick test revealed that they would play for me in Safari and Firefox. I don't exactly recall the book that Steve featured at the time, but it might have been this one.

Screen Shot 2018-11-27 at 9.13.53 PM.png

• Like 1

• Member ID:  1,158
  • Group:  Members

Thanks so much Diane.  These were the videos I was looking for.  Not really sure of the books.  I will watch the videos and see if they are mentioned.  

• Like 1

• Member ID:  12
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  184
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Days Won:  177
  • Birthday:  07/19/1948
  • Device:  Windows

@Park Ranger, after that Live Lesson Steve suggested and offered two products for sale from his site, a book and a DVD "Play Along", both from Hal Leonard.:

The book is "ZZ Top Guitar Anthology".  It is huge. Complete tabs to 25 ZZ Top songs.  If you are a ZZ Top fan, which I am and you apparently are, any favorite ZZ Top song has to be included here.  Years ago someone on the L&MG forum taught me that there are two versions of tabs which can be trusted for accuracy.  This book is "Recorded Version Guitar" which is one of the two.  So the tabs, I believe, can be trusted for accuracy.

The video is "ZZ Top Guitar Play-Along DVD".  I'm a big believer of Hal Leonard's "Play Along" DVD's and think they perhaps make it a little easier to learn.  The only thing I don't like about them is there is no tabs to print out.  I'm a paper guy.  The songs on the DVD are: 1) Cheap Sunglasses, 2) La Grange (my favorite ZZ Top song) , 3) Legs (my favorite ZZ Top video.  Of course, it's  the favorite video of just about every guy ?) , 4) Sharp Dressed Man, 5) Stages, 6) Tube Snake Boogie, 7) Tush, and  8. Waitin' For the Bus.

I can highly recommend both of these.  Of course, Steve wouldn't have recommended these if he didn't feel they would be helpful.

btw, Billy Gibbons was just interviewed by Dan Rather in his "The Big Interview" series on AXS TV.  It was very interesting.

• Thanks 1

• Member ID:  1,158

@matonanjin Thanks for the information.  Billy Gibbons is one of my favorites and I feel my ability is finally at the point I might be able to try some of his licks.  I am going to try the resources above.

Edited by Park Ranger

• Member ID:  12
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  184
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Days Won:  177
  • Birthday:  07/19/1948
  • Device:  Windows

I'm glad you found it helpful.  Keep us posted on your progress with these.  Billy Gibbons, I'm sure I don't need to tell you, is a huge blues lover and much of his and ZZ Top's music is blues based.  He just released a solo album, The Big Bad Blues, in September.    We have a local PBS station that has a blues show every Monday afternoon and have been playing it some.  And the satellite blues radio station has been playing cuts from it.  It's pretty cool.