• Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  30
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  6
  • Device:  Windows

Since I recently started recording myself, I always struggle with getting the sound I like with my recording setup.   I thought it would be helpful to share our different setups and collective experience with recording hardware, software, and any best practices that you use to get the best out of your recording setup.

• Member ID:  146
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  243
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  19
  • Device:  Macintosh

WQppq9P.jpg

Skip, are we talking acoustic or electric?

Recording acoustic guitars some form of microphone and recorder is required, whether a smartphone, handheld (portable) recorder or a microphone, digital audio interface and a computer. The quality of the sound will depend on the sound of the guitar, the room, the quality of the mic and the recording process. Electro-acoustic guitars give the possibility of capturing the acoustic sound, the electric sound or a blend of the two.

Recprding electric guitars can be done either by putting a mic in front of the speaker or by plgging in direct, bypassing amp and speaker.

The photo above shows me 8 years ago. Spot the acoustic traps to dampen the unwanted reverb in the room that gives recordings a boxy sound. I use two mics, one to capture the crisper sound from the neck and the other the warmer sound emanating from the body.

We are blessed with quite a few on the forum with plenty of experience of recording so you should be able to gauge what might be the right path for you to follow from the many different experiences and suggestions.

In the meantime, perhaps you could tell us a bit more about your current guitar, room, how you record and describe what it is that you feel you are struggling with.

• Thanks 1

• Member ID:  273
  • Followers:  2

Thanks @Fretless for your comments.

I am looking to do more recording, with more time on my hands. So, any comments or suggestions are helpful.

I have the basic equipment for recording, but not much experience, so I was interested in what other people had for recording setups, and what works for them.  I have a 2i4 Focusrite audio interface, Ableton Live 10 for my DAW, and a Perception 120 condenser microphone.  I usually go directly into the audio interface from my electric archtop for the clean sound and apply EQ, reverb, and / or chorus using Ableton as I want.  I have also used my solid state amp out as a line in to the audio interface, as well as recording my acoustic with the condenser mic.  I have submitted recordings for the last two recording challenges.  I am looking to get a warmer sound for my recordings, so any comments or suggestions are welcomed.

Skip

Edited by Skip Russell

• Member ID:  146
  • Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  243
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  19
  • Device:  Macintosh

Skip, I listened to your two entries for the last two recording challenges.

The acoustic guitar sounded fine to me. With experience your recordings will get better but I would say you are in the right ball park there. Most beginners add too much reverb; I think you have exceptional taste and it has come out close to perfect.

The jazz electric duet could do with a bit of tidying up (ie. mixing). If you would like, I would happily play around with the individual tracks you recorded and let you know what I think. If you are interested let me know and I can PM details of how to get the tracks to me - and then from me get my mix back to you.

• Member ID:  273
  • Followers:  2

Thank Fretless for your comments and suggestions.  You have given me some ideas for things to try with recording mixing.  I will try that before doing something more professional.

thanks again,

Skip