Struggling to find good pentatonics sources, is it just me??

filipmo

• Member ID:  2,520
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

I recently went back to playing my guitar, I'm loving it. I've started looking up pentatonics as I'd love to improvise to some background music, but I can't find any good places with all the information neatly served, is it just me?? what's your experience been like in looking for this?? What did you use and what do you recommend?
Keep on rockin

• Member ID:  223
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  362
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  538
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  29
  • Device:  Macintosh

On 12/10/2020 at 6:12 AM, filipmo said:

I recently went back to playing my guitar, I'm loving it. I've started looking up pentatonics as I'd love to improvise to some background music, but I can't find any good places with all the information neatly served, is it just me?? what's your experience been like in looking for this?? What did you use and what do you recommend?
Keep on rockin

I learned the pentatonic scales and patterns from the “Learn and Master Guitar course” which is “neatly served “.

Sounds  like you’ve searched a lot of on-line guitar sites and couldn’t fine anything  that you liked. Did you come across the guitar site ActiveMelody? How about  GOSK.com for basic info about pentatonic scales.

You might consider the books “Connecting Pentatonic Patterns” and “Soloing Strategies for Guitar” by Tom Kolb. Other books on  chord tone soloing / soloing with arpeggios  might also  be useful, if your not already familiar with those topics.

And if you have been playing for at least a year and know the major scales and can read music you might check out the “Basic Improvisation” class at Berklee on -line It’s expensive,but viewing their syllabus might help identify  musical topics you need to better understand improvisation.
Most beginners start their “Improv” journey on the shoulders of skilled players, seeing and listening and copying what better players  are playing. One can also  use  books like  “12 bar Blues solos” and “Solo Jazz standards” to help learn.

Steve also has a jazz standards course you could check out,since improv is a major part of jazz.

Edited by Triple-o