• Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/15/1987

Just some background, I've been playing piano almost my entire life, so my left hand is already quite flexible.  However my hands are on the small side.  I'm a female player with a thin build, so I have to do many adjustments to make things sound good.  Usually I can find a solution.  I purchased a Martin Jr. Dreadnought (15/16 size) and that has already helped immensely.  My question is, should I hold on to hope to master this moveable 6th string two chord?  I have tried and failed and I have doubts that I can get my left hand more flexible than it already is.

What I've tried: 

Option 1:  muting the 5 of the chord on the A string with the second finger, then using the 4th finger to play the root on the D string.  This leaves me with a R-R-2 voicing. 

Option 2:  Play the 5 on the A string with my 4th finger, but then using the fourth finger to mute the doubled root on the D string.  Second option gives me a R-5-2 voicing.

I figure if I need to sacrifice a note, might as well be that doubled root. I like the second way better because that 2 against the 5 is what gives it that dissonant perfect interval texture.  If I mute the 5, then that beautiful overlapping perfect 4th and 5th sound is absent.

Edited by adrienp

• Member ID:  243
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  541
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  64
  • Device:  Windows

You should be more specific about which chord you are playing. If you mean G2 then welcome to the club. Your hands are not too small. The G2 is one of the hardest chords to play. It seems your alternatives are just as hard as the G2. I think you should keep practicing. It could take months to master the G2. I still haven't mastered it. 

• Thanks 1

• Member ID:  1,690
  • Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  5
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/15/1987

2 hours ago, Randy120 said:

You should be more specific about which chord you are playing. 

Yes it's the 6th string moveable two chord.  The alternatives are a bit easier because they omit the third finger.

• Like 1

• Member ID:  33
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  192
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  37
  • Birthday:  07/07/1959
  • Device:  Macintosh

That shape is quite a stretch in the lower positions. Of your two options, I'd say option 2 is better. Another option is to act as though you're barring the first three strings with your first finger. Pull your elbow a little closer to your body in the process, lay your first finger over the first three strings, then grab the other three notes as shown on the chord diagram. That makes the stretch a little easier for me. Just make sure you don't actually play the first two strings. Also, since it's moveable and you can play it anywhere on the neck, work on it first in the higher positions where the stretch isn't so difficult. As you get more comfortable with it, move it into the lower positions and keep working on it. On the bright side, that's probably not a shape you'll ever use other than in the course, so don't stress over it too much. 

Edited by Mike Hoodenpyle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Member ID:  50
  • Content Count:  41
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  1
  • Device:  Android

Ouch, I missed seeing that chord.  You may eventually learn to grip that particular version of the movable two chord.  It is quite a bit a stretch.  I'm barely over 5ft and my hands are small.  I can grip it in isolation (but haven't tried switching chords with it) but my hand & fingers tend to lean backwards at a sharp angle and it feels really uncomfortable.  I'm not too worried about perfecting that form of the chord because physical limitations do exist for some of us.  There are alternate versions I can use without injuring my hand.

Edited by Jusca
  • Thanks 1