• Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  20
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  1

Hello all,

I finished session 4 and am now in session 5, after looking at the course and song hits book, seems like it would be a good stage to get a looper pedal so I can record cords and try to play the notes over the chord rhythm.  I was hoping to see what people recommended for a looper pedal?  My main question is whether it's worth getting something with a separate dedicated stop button like the Ditto X2 or Electro-Harmonix 720.  The second question is overall recommendations, I am personally someone who would rather pay a little more upfront for something quality with that I can grow into, rather than getting something cheap and upgrading as I go.

Thanks for everyone's recommendations!

• Member ID:  223
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  362
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  538
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  29
  • Device:  Macintosh

Hi, I have a ditto x2. It took a little time to get the hang of it, but it works fine. I think Steve has a manual or dvd for sale ($10)on how to use one. I would like to see some comments from members on Steve’s manual.

• Member ID:  5
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,076
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  166
  • Device:  Android

1 hour ago, S Bach said:

Hello all,

I finished session 4 and am now in session 5, after looking at the course and song hits book, seems like it would be a good stage to get a looper pedal so I can record cords and try to play the notes over the chord rhythm.  I was hoping to see what people recommended for a looper pedal?  My main question is whether it's worth getting something with a separate dedicated stop button like the Ditto X2 or Electro-Harmonix 720.  The second question is overall recommendations, I am personally someone who would rather pay a little more upfront for something quality with that I can grow into, rather than getting something cheap and upgrading as I go.

Thanks for everyone's recommendations!

@S Bach I suggest you go with the Ditto x2. I have one. Its veru well made and works perfectly every time. It does taje a little while to get the hang of it but its a great practice tool. Get Steve's vide too.

• Member ID:  6
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,053
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  144
  • Birthday:  12/14/1960
  • Device:  iPhone

don't go with the Dito Looper (aka 1) like Steve and I have.. you really need a dedicated Start and Stop button.

tricky but "do-able" with the Ditto 1's 1 button but ...

• Member ID:  157
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  278
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/13/1955
  • Device:  iPhone

I have the X2 and like it.  I did notice Sweetwater has them marked down at the moment.  😁

• Member ID:  13
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  304
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  16
  • Birthday:  10/03/1947
  • Device:  Windows

@S Bach, I have been using the Boss RC-3 for about a year and I am very happy with it. I'm sure all the looper pedals available can accommodate basic looper functions but I tend to look for ease of use and what else can this pedal provide. In the case of the Boss RC-3 it provides backing tracks from Boss Rhythm download site, a  USB 2.0 port allows you to connect to a PC and import/export WAV audio, 99 onboard memories for storing loops(more than you could ever use).  The addition of the optional foot switch provides single start/stop function.

As with all of these electronic additions, there is a learning curve which can be frustrating at times and reduce the playing time but once you get the hang of it, it is a lot of fun.

Henk

• Member ID:  12
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  184
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  177
  • Birthday:  07/19/1948
  • Device:  Windows

@S Bach, I am hardly the one to be giving advice here since Santa brought me a new looper a year ago and I have yet to take it out of the box.  And so we are clear: Not Christmas 2018 but Christmas 2017!😮  But, I know Steve views the looper as a valuable learning tool.  And I think he would he would view where you are at in L&MG as a beneficial time to start with the looper.

The looper that Steve recommends is the Ditto Looper by TC Electronics.  It is about $99.  There is also a Ditto Looper X2 and Ditto Looper X4, with increased capabilities (and cost).  Someone on here at one time posted about the difference but I can't remember what what the differences between the models are.

Here is Steve's Ultimate Looper How To Video.   " An in-depth 40 minute HD video of Steve explaining the features of the Ditto Looper by TC Electronics. Steve demonstrates several musical examples on electric and acoustic guitars for building loops and using loops to help in your learning of chords, songs, and soloing. A valuable resource for getting the most from your looper pedal. Looping tips and tricks for learning chord progressions, songs, and soloing. Don't just get a pedal, get the training you need to make a difference in your playing."

• Member ID:  1,285
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  42
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  3

I had a Boss RC1 and upgraded to a BOSS RC300. The difference dedicated buttons do can't be overstated. I barely used my RC1, but my RC300 almost gets daily use.

• Member ID:  1,552
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  169
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/21/1973

If you want a Looper with a dedicated stop button, then yes the Ditto X2 is an excellent unit. You are only paying for that one button if you don't use the other things that it offers. It's main attraction is that you can upload your Loops via USB to your DAW.

Loopers can be had for $50 with infinite loops and up to 10 minutes of looping time if you can get by using one button. Check Reverb. YMMV.