• Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  15
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  08/09/1958

Hi all, I am currently in S6. and I have a little issue. When playing the Dm7 chord Steve shows us to use fingers 1&2. I am having some trouble with this fingering. How ever when using 1&3 I am pretty much spot on. Is this an ok alternative or could it cause me some  problem with other chords down the road on this journey. So far it has been relatively quick and clean.

• Like 1

• Member ID:  1,135
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  35
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  02/26/1955
  • Device:  Windows

Dear Session 6, I had the same Dm7 situation and after a month or two that "mini-Bar" with the 1 and finally the 2 on the "A" came around. It was easier to use my ring finger at first but I would encourage you to take Steve's guidance and get the muscle memory built on the suggested fingerings. Grab what you can and get comfortable with the strumming rhythms, lots to learn there in pages 37-42. 

It's good to have alternate fingerings for a chord but don't get in a hurry to move on with this one because when you get to working on the F chord on page 44 - ALL your fingers get busy.

It feels good when you can land a chord SPOT ON and do it consistently. Steve's instruction and advice can help you get where you want to be and there are no short cuts that substitute for regular practice. 

All of this is just my opinion on the matter and I hope you continue to be encouraged on your guitar learning journey. You will find many on this site to be knowledgeable and helpful.

Gene C

• Like 1

• Member ID:  33
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  192
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  37
  • Birthday:  07/07/1959
  • Device:  Macintosh

When you start playing the F barre chord, you'll need to use your second finger there, so you might as well get used to it now. That said, it's a good idea to learn alternate fingerings for chords, as some forms make chord changes easier, depending on what chord you're going from/to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1