News Ticker
  • You can do it. You can become the guitar player you want to be! This Month's Live Guitar Lessons: Tuesday March 12th - Advanced Blues and Jazz with Robben Ford!! Tuesday March 19th - Celtic Fingerstyle with Shane Hennessy Tuesday March 26th - Celtic Flatpicking with David Howley.
Jkindgren

Electric vs Acoustic for learning

Does anyone have any suggestions which is better to use while going through this course?  Electric or Acoustic?  Thanks for any suggestions. I currently have an acoustic. 

1 hour ago, Jkindgren said:

Does anyone have any suggestions which is better to use while going through this course?  Electric or Acoustic?  Thanks for any suggestions. I currently have an acoustic. 

@Jkindgren There isn't really a "better" guitar to use for the course. Provided your guitar is in decent shape with good strings and properly set up (I recommend a pro do this if you're not familiar) then, in my humble opinion, the best guitar is the one you will actually use!  Some will say an electric is a bit easier to learn on, and others will say learn on an acoustic first which will make learning electric easier later. If you have a decent acoustic (it doesn't have to be fancy or expensive either... something in the $400 > $500 range would be quite sufficient) and are happy with it, then just go with it.  Later in the course, there are lessons which a more dedicated to electric guitars but for now, its fine.

Happy learning! Neil

• Like 1

Similar to Neil, I would say that the guitar that inspires you to play is the one to start with. As your ability and tastes grow then venture out into other styles, genres and types of guitar and maybe even other instruments.

• Like 1

@Jkindgren  Jeff, I agree with Neil. Consider what kind of music and guitar(s) you want to play, any past experience, and go from there. Your acoustic will serve you well for now.

Thanks everyone for the information.  My acoustic is in good shape.  I may get a professional "setup", but other than that it's good.  I think I will stick with that for now.  Once I get better I'll spring for an electric.  I am still in session 2 so I have a ways to go.  I know I'm only playing Jingle Bells and simple stuff, but it is pretty cool to be able to play something that sounds like a song.  Thanks again for the info.

Jeff