• Topic Count:  362
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  538
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  29
  • Device:  Macintosh

How many of you have the B7b9 (7 position) listed as one of the many impossible chords? Just curious, how does someone with large hands get around this chord used in “Autumn Leaves”. I am thinking  that maybe B7 is the solution since it follows F#m7b5.

• Member ID:  81
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  73
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  05/16/1958
  • Device:  Windows

Could you play it with your thumb wrapped around to hit the B on the low E string at the 7th fret, damp the A string. Then catch the D string at the 7th fret with your index finger (A), the G string at the 8th fret with your ring finger (D#), the B string at the 7th fret with your middle finger (F#), and the E string at the 8th fret with your pinky (C). I suppose you could let the A string ring open, but that would make it sound too muddy.

• Member ID:  60
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  134
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  06/22/1968

1 hour ago, Triple-o said:

How many of you have the B7b9 (7 position) listed as one of the many impossible chords? Just curious, how does someone with large hands get around this chord used in “Autumn Leaves”. I am thinking  that maybe B7 is the solution since it follows F#m7b5.

Hi, Triple-o,

How I play this is by barring the 7th fret with my index finger, the middle finger on 3rd string fret 8 and ring finger on 1st string fret 8. I usually finger pick jazz chords and for this chord do not pick string 5.

• Member ID:  223
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  362
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  538
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  29
  • Device:  Macintosh

Thanks, but my thumb is too short. Using my middle finger on the 3rd string almost works and if I was 50 years younger it probably would work. What does seem to work is a rootless B7b9, assuming it’s the flatted 9th in the voicing that’s seems to be important. I guess I could just play it at the 5th or 8th position.

Edited by Triple-o

• Member ID:  81
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  73
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  05/16/1958

Or you could damp 5 and  6, catch the B on the D string at the 9th fret and omit the 7th (A). Playing B(1), D#(3), F#(5), and C(9).

• Member ID:  10
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  309
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  36

On 2018-01-14 at 11:37 AM, Triple-o said:

@Triple-o When a particular chord form is impossible to finger, you have several options: 

1. Try an alternate fingering. 
  2. Use an easier to finger inversion of the chord. 
  3. Simplify the chord by omitting the root, 5th, an extension, or alteration. 
  4. Use the basic 7th chord.
  5. Find a substitute chord. 

I’ve made a small example with Neck Diagrams application for better illustration.5a5e4dc89721c_ScreenShot2018-01-15at3_56_48PM.png.a37edd0ea3b9c629532d5ac33e3cf2fe.png

Looking at it from left to right, I assume the 1st form is the one you’re having trouble with. Some suggestions have been made by @Wim VD and @tjmeyers already. 

Let me add that the most important chord tones that define the chord quality are the guide tones, namely: the 3rd and 7th (in the case of a dominant chord those are the major third and minor seventh). Even this basic ‘shell’ chord can be used in the context of a progression, especially when you are accompanied by a band or jam track with bass and possibly keyboard. 

The second form (F#-7b5) and the third form (B7b9) played in the mid to upper register are the ones Steve had scribbled on the Autumn Leaves PDF he uploaded to the old forum some time ago. As you can see Steve’s B7b9 is a rootless one, but I’ve included the roots (not to be played) for reference. 

As an additional thought let me point out that jazzers think of chords in terms of four part structures that are placed on different string sets. A seventh chord with its four notes is the basis for transformation into an extended or altered chord. Then you can enhance it by doubling one of the notes, adding another one, taking one away, etc.

I hope it helps. 

• Like 1