• Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  8
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/15/1987

Hello everyone, 

It's my honor to be here learning guitar with other guys,  nice to meet everybody:)

Please allow me  me to introduce myself , My name is Kee who is 31 yeas old  man,  and  have 9 years cello learning experience (8-17), teaching digital media art in the university. The most important identity about me is that I am an expectant father, supper happy when I got this news,  also for this reason  I made a decision that  to learn how to play solo guitar , especially  want to learn the way of how Mr. Pierre Bensunan  playing style ,  hoping one day I could  play  Pierre 's music like "wuwei" with my kid. 

I did some research works , I found that there are too much methods  to learn how to study this instrument,even too much kinds of  guitars can be chosen(etc,.classical, acoustic guitar ) .  so , I want to ask some questions to  other experts who know the  learning path of solo guitar.  I will post questions  below , hoping  I  get the answer From here .  Many many thanks. 

Question 1 .

Which guitar should I buy?(solved)

I already brought Eastman AC322CE , Yamaha Slg200s ( my wife's gift)

Question 2.

Which system should I Learn ?( learn A first, then go to B ?  just buy B straightforward) 

A. learn & master guitar 

B. learn & master Fingerstyle guitar 

Question 3.

Should I need to remember  every chords for learning  Fingerstyle guitar?  

Question 4. 

Whether I should learn classical guitar first ?

Many Thanks 

Kee

• Member ID:  6
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,053
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  144
  • Birthday:  12/14/1960
  • Device:  iPhone

@Nutty 1 replied to your introduction thread else where but .

Learn and Master Guitar is the foundation for all the other add on Courses, 

so as Nuttty1 pointed it , you'll need to do at least the first 10 sessions of the LMG before switching over to the Finger Style

as for which guitar.. Classical guitars have a much wider neck and you'll need to stretch your hand that much further than a standard guitar.

one benefit of the nylon string guitar is they don't require as much hand strength and the strings are slightly easier on the fingers to start out with. 

if it was me, I'd stick to the standard gutiar

• Like 2

• Member ID:  16
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  218
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  16
  • Device:  Macintosh

With regard to learning/memorizing "every" chord form for fingerstyle, (or any other style for that matter) I'd say you will memorize the commonly used open chords and the Major and Minor forms for the 6th and 5th string movable barre chords just by doing the course.  You'll also likely memorize a few 7th chord forms though the course.  Those will get you a long. long way as there are a ton of songs that only use those forms.

As to mastering the less used chord fingerings, I'd say there is little gained in learning them until you need them for a song you want to play.  I try not to spend a ton of time perfecting something I can't yet use.  Sort of like just in time inventory.  When I find a song that has some new cord form, I'll focus on learning that part before adding the forms I already know and trying to put the whole song together.  My way can be frustrating at times, since you sometimes feel like  rank beginner working on a new song, but it seems less frustrating and more productive than dedicating a lot of time to learning some strange chord and then never using it in a song.

• Like 2

• Member ID:  12
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  184
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  177
  • Birthday:  07/19/1948
  • Device:  Windows

Kee, since you are clearly interested in Fingerstyle I encourage you to try and make tonight's Live Lesson,  the title of which is Fingerstyle Guitar with Jonathan Brown.  It promises to be a lesson you will find interesting.

You can view live lessons on our Youtube Channel

• Like 2

• Member ID:  5
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,076
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  166
  • Device:  Windows

@moopapa  Welcome to Guitar Gathering! Thanks for checking in an introducing yourself! You will find lots of friendly encouragement, help and advice here, to assist you with your guitar learning journey.

As someone coming from the classical music arena, you likely know the basics (at least) of music, so  this will help you considerably.

Regarding your questions;

1. You have purchased some beautiful guitars from 2 quality manufacturers, Eastman and Yamaha, which will serve you very well

2. As my colleague  DougH has pointed out, I recommend you start with the Learn and Master Guitar program, and wait for the 2nd half of these lessons to start on the Fingerstyle course.

3. No - one (including many professionals ) knows ALL the chords, but the chords Steve Krenz teaches you are the ones you will actually use, so focus on those. 

4. Classical guitar is a beautiful genre' , with it's own learning discipline, with which you could be more familiar having studied Cello. (I did a bit in school too) If you're interested in other styles, as most player are, then you have the tools already for almost any style, including classical (with a steel string, you could buy a nylon string later) that you need.

Happy tunes; Neil

• Like 2

• Member ID:  1,654
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  8
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/15/1987

Thanks for all replying to my questions,  I do really really appreciate it. 

Finally,  I find a very very nice place where can get useful information, I can feel the warmth from here. You guys are fantastic. yes! yes! yes!   

Everybody knows that as a self-learner for any project, they usually feel lonely, spent too much time on useless things and easy to give up. but, now I believe that I could learn the guitar well by the assistance from your guys.  one more time, thanks to all.

According to the feedback from you guys, I make a learning plan below.

1 learning learn & master guitar  (1-10) unit 

2 Add  "A Modern Method for Guitar - Volumes 1"  as long as I finish unit 6. 

3 Begin to learn "learn & master fingerstyle " guitar program. 

4 I will create a  youtube channel to record my learning process. 

Edited by moopapa

• Member ID:  16
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  218
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  16
  • Device:  Macintosh

11 hours ago, moopapa said:

Thanks for all replying to my questions,  I do really really appreciate it. 

Finally,  I find a very very nice place where can get useful information, I can feel the warmth from here. You guys are fantastic. yes! yes! yes!   

Everybody knows that as a self-learner for any project, they usually feel lonely, spent too much time on useless things and easy to give up. but, now I believe that I could learn the guitar well by the assistance from your guys.  one more time, thanks to all.

According to the feedback from you guys, I make a learning plan below.

1 learning learn & master guitar  (1-10) unit 

2 Add  "A Modern Method for Guitar - Volumes 1"  as long as I finish unit 6. 

3 Begin to learn "learn & master fingerstyle " guitar program. 

4 I will create a  youtube channel to record my learning process. 

I think your plan is a good one.  Only suggestion I'd add is to throw in Hal Leonard's Beginner Barre Chord book when you get to sessions 7 and 8.  It doesn't really cover anything that's not in the LMG barre chord sessions, it just gives you some fun tunes to play with the chords you are learning while you build you hand endurance and muscle memory.  

Working through that book was the point where I really felt like I was playing a song people would recognize and enjoy.  It was recommended to me and it was one of the best bits of advice I've gotten from the forums.