• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  15
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  1

I started playing with a group last summer. Just a couple of guys with guitars, a mandolin, and a banjo.  Was just meant to be a fun time jammin' to some old gospel and bluegrass tunes.  It quickly evolved in us playing in our worship services on occasional Sundays.  We are moving so far and so fast, my guitar skills are being stretched to the limit of my capabilities.  I'd really like to start learning to improvise solo, but don't know where to start.  I'm pretty good with my pentatonic scales, but that doesn't get me far in Bluegrass.

• Member ID:  6
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,053
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  144
  • Birthday:  12/14/1960
  • Device:  iPhone

I've played in an RCM 'choir' for 4yrs now. the 2 other guitarists started playing in 1954 and 1971. so they are beyond my playing skills, I try to nail the second rhythm for them (until they decide to capo a song and change all the chords up on me)

as for soloing in your situation.

I would think you need to know the song rhythmically first, then you're going to need to know the melody we'll . once you have the melody firmly under your fingers then you can use your pentatonic knowledge work on the solo.

there are others here that could comment better than me, can pick out the melody to solo with.

I'm sure they'll chime in soon

• Member ID:  5
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,076
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  166
  • Device:  Windows

56 minutes ago, gmills said:

I started playing with a group last summer. Just a couple of guys with guitars, a mandolin, and a banjo.  Was just meant to be a fun time jammin' to some old gospel and bluegrass tunes.  It quickly evolved in us playing in our worship services on occasional Sundays.  We are moving so far and so fast, my guitar skills are being stretched to the limit of my capabilities.  I'd really like to start learning to improvise solo, but don't know where to start.  I'm pretty good with my pentatonic scales, but that doesn't get me far in Bluegrass.

Good for you @gmills. Im not expert in this area (yet ?) but 3 words come to mind; scales, arpeggios, practice. If you dont already have it, get Steves' Fretboard Workout Major Scalr Mastery and learn that inside out. Bluegras (i think) is mostly major scale so that should do micely. When I think of a tune I thi nk about what scale its in, and it becomes much easier to play when you know the scale. 

Happy performing ? Neil

• Member ID:  88
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  15
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  1

Thanks Neil, I've been thinking that same thing.  I really need to get on those major scales and learn 'em.  I've got the Major Scales Mastery course, just need to apply myself.  I also forgot I have Tim May's book on scales and arpeggios.  Need to open it back up again!

• Like 1

• Member ID:  1,552
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  169
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/21/1973

Bluegrass soloing is not easy!

As well as learning the scales associated with the chord changes, I would also record yourself playing the songs somehow and then play them back and practice soloing over the changes on your own.

Also, find the melody of the song, and hum it to yourself. Then try to recreate that melody on the guitar by individual note if you can. Play it as simply as you can. That can really help to open up the fretboard for you.

Good luck!

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

• Member ID:  223
  • Topic Count:  362
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  538
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  29
  • Device:  Macintosh

I thought that the major pentatonic scale was right up there with the diatonic scale as two of the main scales used in bluegrass.The other one I thought was a main stay was the mixolydian mode.I have also seen material that uses the “blue notes”

I was just looking at a bluegrass solo that stated with a jazz chord arpeggio in the first measure,so it seems there is room for your own voice when Bluegrass soloing. . I’ve seen some solos that start with a measure of the songs melody notes then changes to an embellished melody that transitions to common country strumming.

I also remember Steve having numerous  bluegrass licks,in various keys.You might google learn and master guitar and bluegrass licks.There were 7 or 8 and some were movable.

You might also check out Byron Sutton at Artistworks,he has 200 lessons.

Edited by Triple-o