• Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  12
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/19/1958

Hey everyone!

I've been working on L&M now for about a month. I love Steve's teaching, and I'd say so far so good.

I'm trying to finish up the session 3 bonus materials. The biggest problem I have is muting notes on open strings while trying to play at faster tempos.

One of the 3rd string exercises has a couple of measures of eighth notes jumping between the open G and open B. I have to slow the metronome down to 40 to get my fingers to mute the strings. This is easily my biggest stumbling block so far.

I'm sucking up my pride and playing the exercises agonizingly slow. Any advice other than that?

Thanks!!!

• Member ID:  1,000
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  38
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Device:  Macintosh

I dont' think you need to mute the note unless there is a "rest" symbol. If there isn't a rest you can let the note ring out naturally. I think the different rest times and symbols are covered in session 2. Of course, if there is a rest you need to silence all strings for the rest symbols amount of beats. Hope this helps.

• Member ID:  52
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  95
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  5

Here's what Steve said about this. This is part of the Guitar Words of Wisdom thread compiled here by @Eracer_Team-DougH

If you only read one thread it should be this one, it's FULL of information about the entire course. Some information will only apply to later sessions.

Do we silence the note or let the note being played ring through and play nothing for the period of rest?

Great question. (Also, it looks by the time of this, that both of us can't sleep.)

There's a peculiarity about the guitar.  When you play a note on an open string, it continues to ring. But when you play a note that is fretted, it stops as soon as you take your finger off.

So, when you are playing a rhythm that has a rest but the previous note is an open string, then the string just continues to ring right through the rest.

What's a poor guitar player to do?  

So, here are your options on the open string ringing problem.

You could quickly mute the string either by using the palm of your picking hand or a finger on the fretting hand. Anything will work as long as you lightly touch the ringing string.

BUT here's my professional advice after teaching for way too many years...

Don't worry about it.  

Here's why.  When you're just starting out, you tend to play rhythms and exercises very slow.  Going this slow lets you really hear how one string is ringing out more than the others.  (And it bugs you so you think something is wrong.)  So, you try to mute it somehow and your already stressed out motor skills get even more stressed out because now you have to worry about not only picking the note, but muting open strings that ring.  

BUT, As you get quicker and you have been playing a bit longer, then you are moving faster and the once ringing string is often muted quicker by another finger or note needing to be played.  Hence, the open string ringing is much shorter and less bothersome.

So, my best advice is.... Don't worry about it.  If the open string really bothers you then, if you can, try to lightly mute it.  But don't overly worry about it.

The overall main idea as you're playing the exercise is to play the music in the proper rhythm and count the rests correctly.

This "Open String Ringing" problem is really only one that gets bothersome to students right around the developmental level that you are at.  And quickly you are on to other concerns.

I hope this helps.  It sounds like you are off to a great start.  Keep going.  There's much music to be made!

- Steve 

Some strings (the open ones) ringing longer than other ones is part of the overall guitar sound - and it's actually a good thing.  It's one of the parts of the guitar sound that makes it unique.  It's even a desirable thing as you get more involved in your playing.  Some of the coolest things you can do in your playing involve playing something that some notes are cutting off while others are sustaining. It's a uniquely guitar phenomenon - and it's a good thing.

Mute it if it bothers you, but otherwise, don't overly worry about it and in a few weeks you'll be moving faster and it won't bother you as much.

Edited by guitarben
added link

Very interesting and I wish I would have read that back when i was in session 3. I'm in session 10 now, and I don't have my course book with me, so I'm not sure if the exercises in session 3 bonus materials for open third string have rests in them. If there aren't rests, then you shouldn't have to mute. I think, unless I'm missing some thing.

• Member ID:  1,599

Wow! Thanks for the quick responses. 

It really bugs me, but I think I'll just try to let it go. It's really the only think keeping me from finishing session 3.

Feeling much better! Thanks to all for the help.

• Like 1

Are there any rests? Just curious.

• Member ID:  1,599

No rests. To be specific, I'm talking about session 3 bonus materials page 23 - "More 3rd String Exercises"

Exercise #2 starts in the first measure with 8th notes B-G-B-G-A-B-G then quarter note G then up to the D. It is the first measure that is hanging me up.

Exercise #4 starts in the first measure with 8th notes G-B then a quarter note D and then sort of climbs a ladder with that same pattern.

On page 24 - "Fourth String Exercises," exercise #4 measure 2 is 8th notes G-D then quarter note G then 8th notes D-D then quarter note G. Measure 5 is 8th notes G-D-G then high D then half note G

When I try to play them at a faster tempo (say 90+) I just cannot get my fingers to mute the open strings. One part of me says, "it is an 8th note so you have to mute it." A different part of me says, "Steve says don't worry about it." 

Thus my interior battle. I want to let it go, but it bothers me.

If there are no rests than you can let it go guilt free without any bother or worries! You can continue your interior battle when the rests show up later on. Oh, and I hate to be the bearer of bad new, the rests show up in the chord exercises too! But hears some good news, you don't have to mute the remaining time of an 8th note.

Just move on, and with practice, slowly increasing your bpms, you got this! Have a great day. 

• Like 1