• Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  38
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  1
  • Device:  Macintosh

I've saw the post of the bpms for the jam along CD songs but does anyone know if someone came up with the bpms for the "Song Hits" in the L&M course? Thanks again for everyones help.

• Member ID:  5
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,077
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  166
  • Device:  Android

1 hour ago, mm66 said:

I've saw the post of the bpms for the jam along CD songs but does anyone know if someone came up with the bpms for the "Song Hits" in the L&M course? Thanks again for everyones help.

If you look on the music notation page for each of  the songs in Song Hits, the tempo (bpm ) is noted there, top left over the treble clef. Steve K was careful to transcribe and play the songs at their original tempo. Some song are abbreviated, ie; one or more verses are not present. But the content of the song is quite accurate in 99% of the songs presented.

If the tempo suggested is too quick for you at first, I suggest you learn it at a slower tempo first, then gradually increase it to the level written. In some cases I play them quicker because it feels more natural to me, or I like the sound better. I check the tempo with a metronome from recording or on YouTube.

• Member ID:  1,000
  • Followers:  0

Ah-ha! I see it now. For some reason, in my book the tempos don't start until after Chattahoochee. Of course, thats the song I'm working on.

I have to start slow and increase bpms by 5 until I feel I'm getting close. The reason I like the jam along bpm post is, I don't even try the CD until I can do what the post says. Then I usually avoid being humiliated by the fast one. With Chattahoochee I'm up to 80 bpm and I think I getting close but not quite there. Probably 90 bpm before I pop the CD in.

Thanks again and have a great, hopefully long, weekend!

• Like 1

• Member ID:  52
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  95
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  5

Most metronome apps have a Tap button that will tell you the tempo as you tap the beat on it. It's usually easier to use the clicks at the beginning to do that.

If I recall correctly for Chattahoochee the last version on the dvd is about 140 bpm. While I also do the same thing than you and get comfortable with the metronome before playing along, for this one I recommend that you try the dvd earlier. This will help you get used to the rhythm when Steve plays it slower as the last one is very fast and has a lot of syncopation; the metronome will only get you so far on this one.

I'm actually surprised that this song doesn't come up more often on the forums... it's quite a challenge, but it's very fun to play!

I do watch the video first and then practice to a target bpm before I try to play along with Steve on the DVD. I will try and tap it out in the future for a more accurate target. When I can play along with Steve then it's time to move to the next song. Yesterday, I had it down in practice at 90 bpm, popped in the DVD and got humiliated! So I think your right with 140 bpm. With the jam along tracks, if you can't do the fast one at least you can have some fun with the medium and slow version. With the Song Hits it's all or nothing! Thanks again everyone.

If I recall correctly he plays it at 2 different speeds on the dvd. The last one is the real challenge; that's the one at about 140bpm but he really speeds up at one point.

Yeah, the last one, titled "song performance" is the yardstick for me moving on to the next song or not. Maybe I'll get it next week! Thanks again.

9 minutes ago, mm66 said:

Yeah, the last one, titled "song performance" is the yardstick for me moving on to the next song or not. Maybe I'll get it next week! Thanks again.

Let us know how it goes!

I'm also working in session 10 on House of the Rising Sun. The fast version on the jam along CD is 123 bpm. I'm up to 120 bpm but that puppy is a killer! Maybe next week! Oh, I all ready said it. Have a great day!

• Member ID:  12
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  184
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  177
  • Birthday:  07/19/1948
  • Device:  Windows

On 2/16/2019 at 2:49 PM, mm66 said:

With Chattahoochee I'm up to 80 bpm and I think I getting close but not quite there. Probably 90 bpm before I pop the CD in.

Thanks again and have a great, hopefully long, weekend!

Not that it will make you feel any better but I struggled with Chattahoochee for quite some time.  I thought it somewhat fast playing for where it was at in the course.  

• Member ID:  6
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,056
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  150
  • Birthday:  12/14/1960
  • Device:  iPhone

Chattahoochee is a challenge.. don't think I was able ever make it smooth as Steve's.. 

it might not be everyone's cup of tea.. but I'm understanding why Steve choose specific songs as they provide challenges.. 

maybe I'll come back to it after I manage to get a Day Tripper and Pretty Woman recorded properly

In the Song Hits, after Chattahoochee is a song called Cold, Cold, Heart. I'm not familiar with the tune but looking at the sheet music it doesn't look to hard. In the main L&M course, after House of the Rising Sun is Pachelbel's Canon. I'm familiar with the tune and looking at the sheet music is making me terrified! Slow and steady wins the race is my motto. We'll see! Have a great day everyone.

• Like 1

• Member ID:  12
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  184
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  177
  • Birthday:  07/19/1948
  • Device:  Windows

53 minutes ago, mm66 said:

In the Song Hits, after Chattahoochee is a song called Cold, Cold, Heart. I'm not familiar with the tune but looking at the sheet music it doesn't look to hard.

Cold, Cold Heart was not too hard.  It was a bit of a breather after Chattahoochee, at least for me.

• Member ID:  5
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,077
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  166
  • Device:  Android

4 hours ago, matonanjin said:

Cold, Cold Heart was not too hard.  It was a bit of a breather after Chattahoochee, at least for me.

This classic country song by Hank Williams, has been recorded by virtually every good singer since it was written in 1951. Although it's position in the list of Songs Hit's  leaves me wondering, it's a song you can pull out to play anywhere, anytime, and almost everyone (at least the baby boomers and the previous generation) .

I think this song is a study in rhythm, as much as melody. You can also embellish the song with alternating bass lines, walk up's and walk down's.  Well worth knowing. https://www.google.com/search?q=hank+williams+cold+cold+heart+other+recordings+of+this+song&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAONgFuLRT9c3LDTNMsqwzMtSQuFpaWUnW-nnlhZnJusXpSbnF6Vk5qXHJ-eUFpekFlnll2SkFimUpRYVZ-bnFS9itc5IzMtWKM_MyclMzC1WSM7PSYEQGamJRSUKEOVwY4oV8tMUSjIyixWK8_PSAfdummCIAAAA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi11u-Vz8bgAhVDpoMKHesHAU0QMTAIegQICRAq&biw=1366&bih=625

I'm partial to the version by Canadian country singer Hank Snow.