• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  13
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  1

Great live lesson, really enjoyed the progressions and the little songs played. 

Now I do not have the greatest chord library in my head, and beyond the open chords, the F-shape barre chords, and the B-shape barre chords I do get a little lost at first. 

Can someone point me in the right direction for the shapes that Steve used when he played the backing track?  I will also try to transcribe it myself as I look/listen to the video on repeat, but if anyone recognizes it right away I would appreciate knowing it so I can practice moving up the neck in my progressions like this.

Thank you!

• Member ID:  1
  • Group:  Administrators
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  95
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  428
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Days Won:  115
  • Birthday:  07/28/1966
  • Device:  Macintosh

Is there a specific example that you are thinking of?  If so, I could take a look at it and try to write out a few. 

Glad you're learning! - Steve

• Member ID:  2,679
  • Group:  Members

2 hours ago, Steve Krenz said:

Is there a specific example that you are thinking of?  If so, I could take a look at it and try to write out a few. 

Glad you're learning! - Steve

Hi Steve, yes, the 12 bar blues example starting at 4:12.  It sounds really cool with all the different chord voicings and I'd like to use that to kind of springboard myself to playing up the neck a bit more.

I can see you started with a C barre on the 3rd fret, then went to a standard F shape, then up to a higher C which looked like you slid into it from the 6th fret (~4:18) which is where I start to get lost what you're playing specifically. 

At ~4:38 after the turnaround you go into a much higher voiced C that looked like the 8th fret...I think you're just playing the highest notes of the chord there? 

Thanks for taking the time to look over and provide a couple keystones to help guide the way.

BTW - I appreciate all you do for the guitar community, I picked up Learn and Master 10 years ago and unfortunately just dabbled a bit from ~2013 to until Jan 2021 when I made it a new years resolution to play again...and it stuck!

• Member ID:  2,679

so…I went back and figured out it was just a C barre chord at the 8th fret, and you’re just playing the higher strings. 

As usual the simplest answer is the right answer!

Edited by QuietlyBold

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  298
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  28
  • Days Won:  0
  • Device:  Android

Been slow to get round to this one, but this session is absolutely fantastic. 

Always turn to 12 bar blues for jamming with others and noodling. This adds another dimension to doing this. A pdf of the chord shapes used would  be great, but  part of the learning for me is sometimes  working out what variations Steve is doing here himself. I used to watch the old Gruhn's sessions with guests in the same way. I  always looked forward to them duos.  Here we have Steve explaining some variations and styles you can do.  Really great! Many thanks Steve.