• Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  64
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  3
  • Device:  Windows

I recently saw that the Gibson site is posting more lessons by Arlen Roth.  These are similiar to the lessons Steve used to do for Gibson.  Nice short videos on one subject including tabs and MP4 videos.  So far there are 23 pages with about 5 free lessons per page.  I have been working on these for the past 3 weeks and have been through over 30 of the lessons so far.  I have found several that I really like and of course the price is right.  Wish Steve was still doing these.  (Glad I printed most of his lessons before they took them down.)  Here is the link:   http://www.gibson.com/Lessons/Arlen-Roth-Lessons/Search.aspx?type=lessons&page=1

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Member ID:  4
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  490
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Days Won:  65

I really miss Steve's lessons on the old Gibson site. I bet I watched the 'Canon in D' lesson 100 times!

• Like 1

• Member ID:  17
  • Followers:  0

Me too Dave.  I have that copy of Canon in D pasted in one of my classical books labeled "play this one instead".

Edited by ShadowBoxer86
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Looks like Gibson may be closing this link.  I did find it again on what may be a spanish site so if you want any of these great lessons I would try to print or download any that look interesting to you.  Not really into all of his slide guitar lessons at this time, however there are many other lessons that are pretty good.  Many of them like Steve's pro tips that he did for a while.  See if this link works.   http://espanol.gibson.com/Lessons/Arlen-Roth-Lessons/Search.aspx

Kind of worried if it is secure or not, (does't say https)

• Like 1

• Member ID:  1,523
  • Content Count:  20
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/16/1974

17 hours ago, ShadowBoxer86 said:

Looks like Gibson may be closing this link.  I did find it again on what may be a spanish site so if you want any of these great lessons I would try to print or download any that look interesting to you.  Not really into all of his slide guitar lessons at this time, however there are many other lessons that are pretty good.  Many of them like Steve's pro tips that he did for a while.  See if this link works.   http://espanol.gibson.com/Lessons/Arlen-Roth-Lessons/Search.aspx

Kind of worried if it is secure or not, (does't say https)

Thanks for the tip, ShadowBoxer86! I've downloaded all 144 videos from the Spanish Gibson site. ?

Y, That is a lot of work just to copy and save those lessons.  So far, I print the tabs on the ones I think I will like and have made it through page 20 of 30, so that was quite a few lessons with 5 lessons per page.  The video images are small and around 5 minutes each.  If you type "control +" several times you can enlarge the screen.  I think these lessons were done from about 2007 to 2012, but there are some real gems in there.  If anyone knows how to copy all of these lesssons at one time let us know.  It is a shame that Gibson has taken these lessons and those that Steve did off of their web site.  I would think these lesson sold a lot of guitars for Gibson.

• Member ID:  5
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,076
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  166

2 hours ago, ShadowBoxer86 said:

Y, That is a lot of work just to copy and save those lessons.  So far, I print the tabs on the ones I think I will like and have made it through page 20 of 30, so that was quite a few lessons with 5 lessons per page.  The video images are small and around 5 minutes each.  If you type "control +" several times you can enlarge the screen.  I think these lessons were done from about 2007 to 2012, but there are some real gems in there.  If anyone knows how to copy all of these lesssons at one time let us know.  It is a shame that Gibson has taken these lessons and those that Steve did off of their web site.  I would think these lesson sold a lot of guitars for Gibson.

I used to watch the Gibson Skills House lessons all the time. In fact its where I was introduced to Steve Krenz which lead me to his Learn and Master course. I learned a lot from them and Arlen Roth and it did influence me to buy my first Gibson ,my ES335.  Gibson missed a very effective marketing tool by not using quality lessons like these and now apparently abandoning them altogether.  I hope the lessons are archived 

• Member ID:  12
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  184
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  177
  • Birthday:  07/19/1948

19 hours ago, NeilES335 said:

I used to watch the Gibson Skills House lessons all the time. In fact its where I was introduced to Steve Krenz which lead me to his Learn and Master course.

Yep, me as well.  I downloaded some of the Skills House Lessons.  I wish I had grabbed more.

For those of you that don't know Mr. Roth suffered quite a horrible tragedy and, as I understand it, actually quit playing guitar for quite a while:

Moving Forward In Grief Through Music.   

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

• Member ID:  1,879
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  2
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

I realize this is a year old thread, but I was searching for the same thing and wound up here. A little duck duck go, and I was able to find the old lessons online. Not the easiest way to get to them, but if you are determined, you can dig out some gems. Hint: Use Shift+Ctrl+"+" to enlarge the circle and find pages easier. That'll make sense when you go to the page.

https://web.archive.org/web/sitemap/http://www2.gibson.com/Lessons/Skills-House.aspx

Cheers

• Thanks 1

• Member ID:  1,879
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  2
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Hmmm. I think I got lucky with the couple I looked at prior to posting here. Many of the lesson links are dead. But a few still work.

• Thanks 1

• Member ID:  243
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  541
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  64

Gibson probably replaced their old server, and the files were not moved to the new server. The Gibson page was redesigned so it wasn't practical for the web developer to keep the links active. The Arlen Roth lessons were really good. It is a loss for learning guitar players, but Gibson's main business is to make great guitars. There is L&M Guitar, Fretboard Theory, Unstoppable Guitar System, and a lot of other free resources on YouTube for those who want to learn. 

• 1 month later...

• Member ID:  98
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  136
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  11
  • Birthday:  11/26/1963
  • Device:  iPhone

On 12/11/2018 at 8:29 AM, Dave White said:

I really miss Steve's lessons on the old Gibson site. I bet I watched the 'Canon in D' lesson 100 times!

i know i wish i could see that one again!! I remember how i played that song so much i think i drove my family crazy,....but I did learn it....so now hoping to relearn it as I come back to the guitar!
Maria

1 hour ago, sleepingangel said:

i know i wish i could see that one again!! I remember how i played that song so much i think i drove my family crazy,....but I did learn it....so now hoping to relearn it as I come back to the guitar!
Maria

Same here @sleepingangel Maria. Those lessons on Gibson.com were some of the best Steve's ever done. I wish they had saved them.(they would have made a great video dvd)  I think it was there that I orginally heard /saw Steve Krenz, which led me to the "Gibson's Learn and Master Guitar" program. And here I am, finished the course about 7 yrs later. 

• Like 1

• Member ID:  98
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  136
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  11
  • Birthday:  11/26/1963
  • Device:  iPhone

3 minutes ago, NeilES335 said:

Same here @sleepingangel Maria. Those lessons on Gibson.com were some of the best Steve's ever done. I wish they had saved them.(they would have made a great video dvd)  I think it was there that I orginally heard /saw Steve Krenz, which led me to the "Gibson's Learn and Master Guitar" program. And here I am, finished the course about 7 yrs later. 

that's great that you finished. tHAT IS AN accomplishment!! I hope to do it one day. I got close. Now to continue...so i did my half an hour of working with that first set of scales in F ....and I realized why i initially stopped at 17...it's hard! lol

but I have a new mindset so every day I hope to put in at least 20 minutes or more of just this and It's got to sink into this brain enough to be able to move on to the other scales. The problem is that if I don't have the patterns memorized in the first scale I won;t be able to move on cause I'm relying on the tab too much...so I have to get past thAT...which I never did before falling away....

and yes I wish Steve could somehow get those lessons back! 
Maria

• Like 1

Thanks Maria! You will too... S17 isnt really that hard.... just a different way of playing scales... and more useful while soloing too. You'll get it!  For me the key is listening to where the next note should be...is it a whole step or half?  I think sometimes we get so hung up on patterns, that we forget our best judge is our ears.

• Like 1