WELCOME NEW MEMBERS! - Tell Us About Yourself, Receive Encouragement and Advice!

NeilES335

• Member ID:  221
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  41
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Now if we could only have good old "mike" back to let us know about the great deals on guitars like the Takamine EAN 40 we all bought with the case for a closeout from MF for $300.00

I agree! I miss old Mike as well. He was a wealth of knowledge.

• Member ID:  1,552
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  169
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/21/1973

On 2/19/2019 at 3:05 AM, moopapa said:

I am an expectant father, supper happy...

Welcome and congratulations!!! Being a Dad ROCKS. They grow so fast, so enjoy every moment you can with the little dude/dudette!

• Member ID:  12
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  184
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  177
  • Birthday:  07/19/1948
  • Device:  Windows

@CliffMcCartney, I'm glad Barb and Mandy welcomed you.  Usually one of us from the mod pool do as well and I'm not sure how you snuck in with us not seeing you.  Welcome!  And yes, there are a lot of us that tried a little with guitar during the career years but then picked it up more seriously in retirement

Please keep us posted on your progress.  And anytime you have a question, or just frustrated,  post here.  There are a lot of us here that want to help.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

• Member ID:  359
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  42
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  08/02/1961

On 2/9/2019 at 8:47 PM, CliffMcCartney said:

My name is Cliff McCartney. I was born and raised in Atlanta, GA, but now I live in the Great Smoky Mountains of East Tennessee. I serve as an administrator at a small private Christian university as the Vice-President for Administration. I grew up playing just about every brass instrument there is from 3rd grade and into high school. I've tried to pick up the guitar a number of times over the years, but I haven't ever broken through.

I had a very busy and hectic career in software development from my 20s until my mid 50s. I simply didn't have enough discretionary time to get serious about music. I'm getting close to retirement now and I want to learn the guitar and learn it well. I've spent the last 18 months or so sort of groping for a program that will work for me. I've tried a couple of the big online sites, but I just haven't been able to get any traction. I'm drawn to the L&M Guitar course because of Steve and because of the curriculum. I like the plan and the support.

I got the L&M lessons and bonus materials about a month ago. I'm almost done with session 3.

I have a Taylor 314ce LTD cedar over rosewood acoustic and an Epiphone ES-335 semi-hollow electric. I use both when studying the L&M material, but I mostly play the Taylor.

I also have a Jasmine S34C NEX I keep at the office for when I need some six-string stress relief.

Looking forward to learning from and with y'all.

Welcome to the Guitar Gathering Forum Cliff. I made the Commitment to Learn to Play Guitar at 53 and Luckily Found Steve & The Group with the Learn & Master Guitar Course.  I received my Course just Before Christmas 2013 and began My Journey. The way it is Presented my Learning Experience has felt quite Natural, I didn't say Easy. I spent quite a bit of time up thru Completion of Session 4 and in Session 4 I Purchased the Hal Leonard "Easy Guitar Song Book". While in Session 4 I was able to Relatively Master Several of the Songs from the Song Book, I can't express How Great that made me Feel, But I was Sure of One Thing....I had actually Acquired Usable Skills from the Learn & Master Guitar Course. Shortly after all of that I suffered some Health Issues and had to Stop my Progress but have recently Picked my Guitar Course back up and while a little Rusty, I rapidly was able to return Nearly to the place I left off. Here is My Advice as a Novice Student:

Take Your Time and Relax. There is NO TIME FRAME for Progression. When YOU are Ready to Advance to the Next Session, Do SO and NOT Until You are Sure You are Ready to Advance. Download the Bonus Workshop Handbook and have it Printed and Bound at the Office Supply. Make sure you Complete Each Session in the Basic Course Manual AND The Bonus Workshop Manual before Advancing to the Next Session. You don't have to Perfect each Session but try to be Very Comfortable with the Material and Exercises. Simple Songs get Boring Quickly but I Assure You , It is In Your Best Interest to Master them, it will Help You in Later Sessions.

If something Troubles You, Come Here to the Forum and ASK or Explain the Issue You are having Difficulty with. It doesn't Cost a Penny and you will find Many Senior Students Jump In to Help You until you Resolve your Issue and Cheering You ON to Success. Nobody has a Course Combined with a Group of Students More Willing to Help Fellow Students than This One....but I Bet you Realize that by now. I wish You Luck and Hope You keep us Posted on Your Progress or issues and Become a Part of the Guitar Gathering Family for many years to come. If you Really Want to Master your Guitar....THIS IS THE PLACE. I Wish You Well and Cheer for Your Success. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

• Member ID:  1,648
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  103
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  01/03/1961

Hi, my name is Phil. I've posted a few times, but hadn't seen this section. I figure that more time on forum means less time playing. I can't afford that right now! :-) I've wanted to play guitar as long as I can remember. I was born in '61, so I grew up in times of musical plenty. When people have asked over the years, "What would you do if you could do it over?" I say, "I'd learn to play guitar and start a rock and roll band." I was joking, but also serious. That was my only reply at 58 years and counting.

Outside of a dried out, beat up guitar I bought in a used bookstore as a kid, music came late, in my 40's. First was the didgeridoo, a wind instrument. I still love the didge, although I'm out of practice. Then came the West African Djembe and Dunun drums played in the traditional way. What an awesome, rich musical tradition. I would've been a percussionist and dancer had I known about this stuff in high school. The djembe scene fell apart locally, along with life demands, but after a number of years I found myself wanting to play guitar!!!

I worked up to an advanced level in the West African drum playing, so I knew to play guitar at an advanced level I was going to have to commit to many hours, years of devoted, consistent practice. And grab myself by the scruff, get up in front of people to play and sing. Yikes. The reviews led me to L & M and I knew this was the place to learn. Steve put a course together the likes of which I have not found elsewhere. These are the bones we need to stand up strong as guitarists. Thanks Steve! I attempted two years ago, but life intervened. Now back to lesson 3 and takin' it a little easy this time.

I found two like new guitars on reverb at great prices: a Larrivee DV-05 acoustic and a Squire Modified '51 electric. I love 'em both. I knew I needed to play both type guitars and wanted the reportedly more challenging, longer neck of the Squire (a telecaster neck). I got a Roland micro cube, which works well, but when Sweetwater blew out their Blackstar 10th Anniversary amps at a great price, I got an Artist, which transformed my electric playing. I so love the sound! Sweetwater is blowing out PRS SE 24 Custom Spalted Maple guitars right now. I stumbled across them and Adam gave me a great deal on a great deal. So now it's on the way. Amazing. I was fine, but OKAY!

I only purchase instruments I feel in my gut are for me. Every one of them has ended up to have sound, looks, feel, etc. that I love. We spend so much time practicing, why not practice with instruments we love? Also, each of my drums, for example, has taught me different things. It's amazing! That's happening with my guitars too.

Thanks for the warm, friendly guitar place y'all.

Edited by pkotof
Added "drum" after West African to clarify that I am a complet beginner guitarist.
  • Like 4

• Member ID:  1,462
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  393
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  101
  • Device:  iPhone

@pkotof, Welcome, Phil.

West African playing, that sounds interesting! 

I have been listening to Ali Farka Toure in the past. I never tried this style, but it sounds like lots of arpeggios played high in the neck.

What are your favorite artists in this style?

Wim.

• Member ID:  1,395
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  437
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Days Won:  34

Great to have you with us @pkotof.

I enjoyed reading your post and I look forward to hearing you play.

Wow, the PRS is going to be great! You are right about how to choose guitars and your choices are superb. 

You are also right about Steve's course, it is so very comprehensive and packed with music theory too.

Keep us posted on your guitar learning etc.

Mandy

• Member ID:  52
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  95
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  5

Welcome aboard @pkotof and thanks for sharing your story! I play djembe too, although I try to concentrate on the guitar more.

• Member ID:  1,648
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  103
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  01/03/1961

Thanks for the welcome!

Vim: It was didgeridoo and drums I'm experienced with. Although you did remind me of a CD I bought years ago with non-drum focused West African music. Thanks! The creators wanted people outside Africa to know that Africans play more than drums. I'll check that artist.

Nutty 1: Thanks for the encouragement and I will. I like your handle.

Guitarben: My first L & M attempt I usually started by playing 15 minutes of didgeridoo and 15 minutes of djembe/dunun. My chops started to return, but it was too much given guitar complexity. This time I decided to focus exclusively on guitar until I'd say, at least getting through barre chords. Hey wait. What about days off guitar playing? :-)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  1,749
  • Content Count:  2
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  1

Hi all! Glad I found this place. It's been a couple years-ish since I was on the Legacy forum and went to check it out today and the link took me nowhere. After some searching around I'm happy to see their is still a community based around Steve's courses!

I bought the original course probably 10 years ago now. Upgraded to the current one shortly after it was released but didn't go further than Session 11 or 12. Been doing the marriage/kid-raising/career thing since I started and I'd lose motivation to practice when I'd get to the challenging parts of the course. Admittedly, spending too much time on the internet hasn't helped either. This last hiatus happened due to a few personal issues: troubled teen son, impending divorce after 17 years and overcoming substance addiction. I've gone months without even touching a guitar but knew I'd return to it when the time was right. I recently created a new personal space dedicated to guitar practice and, of course, I pulled out my L&M guitar books. Finally...the time has come and it's great to be back in the saddle again!

Quick history: I started playing guitar right before my 14th birthday (1987...sheesh has it been that long?). Traded an alto saxophone I used for 4 years in the school band for my first electric guitar and amp. I Took piano lessons for many years prior (and after) and had a couple of excellent teachers, especially my first who instilled good practice habits. I've tried a few guitar teachers over the years but never found one I really resonated with that lasted more than a couple months. Most of what I've learned to date has been on my own through books, sheet music, self-study courses and just picking things up here and there. After 30+ years I've tried a number of home study materials and I can confidently say that Steve's courses have been the best that I've run across. I'm definitely going to continue with them!

Music (of all many kinds) has always been a passion and big part of my life since I was a little guy and that passion is still alive today even at the age of 45. I think it's safe to say it will always be with me until the end. It's time to break some barriers and continue on with my guitar journey! I'd like to jam with other people again some day and maybe even form/join a band. Who knows.

I've gone through lots of guitars/amps/effects since I started and the past, oh, 4-5 years I've gotten into Fender short-scale guitars. I'm a short dude with relatively small hands that struggled to get on with Strats (my favorite for decades). I have an Epiphone Sheraton with a shorter scale, but has also been a struggle especially in first position. Playing guitar can be painful to my fret hand which is one of the main reason I haven't progressed much over the years. I get discouraged with the pain and cramping. Took a chance on a Classic Player Jaguar due to the even shorter scale and found out the 24" scale and thicker neck felt most comfortable for my hand. Never saw the offset guitars as my thing, but the comfort and playability for me is undeniable. I own a few different Fender offset short-scales now as they're working for me.

Anyway...thanks for reading and see you all around!

• Like 5

• Member ID:  5
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,076
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  166

Welcome back @Barefoot ... 👍🎸

• 7 months later...

• Member ID:  1,955
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  12
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  08/01/1950

}{appy }{olidays everyone.

Back about 2013 for perhaps a year I was a student of L&MG and active on its forum (Oh how I wish I could go back and edit those naïve posts I made in that Forum.). But like the two previous times I attempted to learn guitar I hit a plateau, and after weeks, perhaps months of no discernible progress I put down my guitar.  Apparently the time has come once again to make the attempt.  For several months I've been repeatedly visiting the L&MG website only to be frustrated by a dead link to the Community Forums.  Repeated attempts to Google what had happened yielded no results.  But a couple days ago I tried again and thus I'm here now.

My history with guitars goes back to my teen years when in about 1964 my parents gave me a guitar.  It was an awful guitar but it wasn't until many years later I came to understand why.  Probably purchased at a W. T. Grants, one of the dime store chains that existed at the time, it was a classical guitar that had been strung with steel strings. Why the bridge never pulled off is beyond me. With no musical training, no tuner, no ability to read music, no lessons there was no progress.  I still remember my father once saying to me I should be playing chords and I was clueless as to what he was saying.  Another ten years passed before I again took an interest in guitar and having no idea what I was doing I went to a local music store and came home with a classical guitar branded Lero.  I still have this guitar but far too many years of uncontrolled humidity has taken its toll.  The top is bowed and I suspect if I were to tune it up to pitch the bridge would pull off.  Still feeling motivated, still not knowing what I was doing, I signed up for private lessons.  A frustrating experience.  In 30 min I had more material presented to me than I could hope to get under my fingers in a month.  Perhaps I went to four such weekly lessons before I told the instructor I wasn't going to sign up for another month.  Why the instructor, a local bluegrass professional, didn't tell me to come back with an acoustic steel string guitar or engage me as to what I wanted from guitar is beyond me.  Not deterred it wasn't long before I purchased such a guitar, an Epiphone dreadnought.  I self taught myself from music books by artists of interest to me like Cat Stevens' "Tea for the Tillerman" and learned a fair amount while I had that guitar.  Eventually though I put it down and gave it away.  Probably a good thing, as I came to realize 40 years later when I educated myself about guitar setup, its action was way too high and the reason was when I took it to the store for an adjustment the clerk (no guitar tech would have done this) loosened rather than tightened the truss rod.

Many years passed and it wasn't until I retired that my interest in guitar reawakened.  Still not knowing what I was doing I made an online purchase of a relatively inexpensive Ovation Applause.  Nice guitar but its deep curved body was not particularly well suited to playing while sitting.  My next guitar was a Yamaha LL-6, apparently this guitar is now only available as an acoustic electric. The LL-6 is a quite remarkable guitar for other than having a slightly larger body than a Martin D35 it measures identically in all respects (nut width, scale length, string spacing, action height, etc.) and is made with the same tone woods (at least that was so in 2013).  I once spent an hour with a Martin D35 at the local Guitar Center, during that time I was unable to discern any sonic difference. The LL-6 edges into the jumbo category as a result I sidelined it when I realized that it was cutting off the circulation in my strumming arm, either I needed a smaller bodied guitar or at the very least limit how much time I spent practicing (yeah … right … like that is an option ;).

I was then hit with a serious case of Guitar Acquisition Syndrome and for a while hardly a month went by before another guitar arrived at my doorstep (oh the joys of a successful retirement plan).  In no particular order:  A classical guitar, a modest priced Yamaha C40, was eventually followed by another classical guitar, a Cordoba C9 Crossover, notable in having a curved fretboard and a truss rod.  Then there is a parlor guitar, a Washburn R320SW, this was totally motivated by vanity, who can resist all that inlay.  Then there is my first electric, an Epiphone SG, which I never warmed up to, but it did result in me becoming familiar with Rocksmith although I didn't appreciate that software till much later.  The SG was soon followed by the totally self indulgent purchase of a Gibson Les Paul which in turn was followed by what is currently my favorite electric, a Fender Stratocaster (I did a serial number look-up today. Who'd have thought?! Made in Corona CA).  Of all my guitar purchases this was the only one made in person in a music store and in so doing I confirmed what I'd come to suspect, that there is room to deal.  So I got a sale price while no sale was in progress.  To round out my collection of electrics I acquired an Ibanez SR500 bass.  Buying into the notion that more expensive is better I purchased first a Larrivee OM-40 (by far my favorite acoustic) and later a Rainsong Shorty SFT (my only acoustic electric).  The purchase of the Rainsong was motivated by curiosity about short scale 12 fret guitars.  It is quite unusual, at least to my ears, I get the distinct impression that I can hear each individual string.  It is also the one acoustic I didn't immediately restring with a lighter gauge.

Unfortunately I'm subject to the power of suggestion and with a reawakened interest in guitar I watched a PBS documentary about the Beatles last weekend.  Seeing that Paul McCartney was playing a hollow body guitar I researched what it was.  Turns out the Beatles purchased several Epiphone Casinos and so I ordered not a Casino (I can only thank the appropriate deity that I wasn't motivated to buy any of the other guitars they were playing.) but a Casino Coupe from Sweetwater and today it arrived.  What a nasty (well, only in the sense you have to wait another day for your new guitar) sticker Sweetwater puts on their packages - allow a day for your gear to adjust to changes in temperature and humidity before opening.  Does anyone do this?!  Well this time I decided to … so tomorrow I'll open the boxes … why the heck didn't they make it clear which box has the guitar and which the case as both boxes have that sticker?

This leaves one guitar to mention.  As I intend to integrate material from L&MG, JustinGuitar.com and Rocksmith I thought it beneficial if I had a guitar sized more appropriately for sitting in a comfortable chair with arms in front of the computer.  With that in mind I ordered a Hofner Shorty HCT-SH-CG-O in metallic light blue, it will arrive next week.

Oh right, there's a ukulele around here somewhere.

To round out my gear I have a TC Electronics Ditto Looper,  a Fender Mustang amp, a Fender Bronco amp, and a Yamaha THR5 (my battery powered travel amp).  And then there are the miscellaneous tuners including a tuning fork I've had for nearly 50 years, specialized tools, metronomes, guitar stands (I'm particularly fond of D&A GigStands), capos, spare strings, software (Rocksmith, MuseScore and Guitar Pro), a music stand, a TASCAM DR-05 recorder, an assortment of picks, a (not nearly so large as I thought but still many) collection books of sheet music, music theory, music styles, and it would seem just about every introductory book on how to play guitar, an assortment of guitar straps, you know how it goes.

When asked if I play guitar I say, "No, I collect guitars and I practice."  (If you've managed to read this far you can laugh now.) And that brings me around to answering the question, "What are your goals."  I have but one goal to never again stop practicing.  So just one thing left to do now … start building calluses.

Some of you may recognize the name "Ning" it was the name I used in the L&MG Forum.  It is my actual name being the last four letters of my last name.  The pic you see shows the Larrivee OM-40 in front of the Yamaha LL-6.

I am grateful to have found my way here and that I will once again benefit from the pearls of wisdom so generously scattered by Steve Krenz.

@Ning, I do (vaguely) remember your name from over at our previous home.  I'm glad you found us and are going to be a member again of, what Steve calls, "our guitar family".  There are quite a few of us here that, like you and me,  played guitar in our youth or teen years only to put it away until retirement.  And, yes, many of also developed a case of Guitar Acquisition Syndrome in retirement!😮

I'm looking forward to your contributing to the conversations here and sharing your progress.

• Member ID:  13
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  304
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  16
  • Birthday:  10/03/1947

@Ning, glad to see you found your way home.

Henk

• Member ID:  1,332
  • Content Count:  1

Hi, I recognize a few usernames from the old L&M forum. I just wanted to see how things were going in the new digs, and see how Steve is doing. Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

• Member ID:  9
  • Group:  Moderators
  • Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  813
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Achievement Points:  1
  • Days Won:  209
  • Birthday:  01/01/1953
  • Device:  Macintosh

@BenBob  Well, hello, stranger! Long time, no see! Good to have you back.

• Like 1

@BenBob!  Good to see you here!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BenBob said:

Hi, I recognize a few usernames from the old L&M forum. I just wanted to see how things were going in the new digs, and see how Steve is doing. Keep up the good work!

Welcome Back!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  1,969
  • Content Count:  88
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  6

Hi to all the wonderful guitar gathering family.  I think it is about time after being a lurker on this forum and the old Legacy forum to introduce myself.  I have been a L&M student for about 7 years and like many of you have had numerous stops and starts for many reasons.  Some breaks lasted weeks, others lasted months, but I never lost the ambition to play guitar only the motivation. 

During my journey I found both Forums a tremendous help whenever I had a question or read of someone else experiencing the same difficulties.  It was comforting to know that I wasn’t alone or that I was not the only one not being able to ring out that pesky Barre Chord.

Very early on my journey, we’re talking sessions 1-4, I realised that when I referred to ‘playing a guitar’ I really meant ‘playing fingerstyle guitar’ so I ordered Steve’s Fingerstyle course.  I took one look at the lesson book, gulped and hastily put it back on the shelf realising I had a long way to go before I could attempt it.  I had also realised that Sessions 1-9 on L&M Guitar were essential, and were the foundations of guitar playing, i.e. learning notes, chords, basic music theory, scales etc., as well as building muscle memory and finger dexterity and strength. 

About 2 years I go I realised unless I really knuckled down, I wasn’t going to reach my finger style goal.  I think part of my problem was being a perfectionist.  I couldn’t move onto to the next session until I could play everything perfectly, which looking back was unrealistic.  I made a conscious decision to work through the sessions 1-10 again (again) but not to be hung up on perfection, but to understand the concepts and play them adequately and then utilise them playing songs!  So, I did just that, and moved onto the Steve’s fingerstyle course.  I admit that I am not religiously following every practice lesson, but have learnt and understood the concepts and applied them to songs and will sometimes dip into Steve’s lessons as a refresher or to further my knowledge, the 3rds, 6ths and 10ths is my next goal. I also have been studying some Classical Guitar techniques which have helped a lot, especially with finger independence and also picked up a lot of tips from YouTube too!

A big thank you to Steve and all the guitar family for being so supportive I have really enjoyed seeing where many people’s guitar journey has taken them; from  performing live solo, in bands, at weddings and in church to song collaborations and music production.  All your paths have been as varied as there are types of guitars and genres of music. To think most of you all started on Session 1 of Steve’s L&M guitar and look where you are now!  And to those just starting out on their guitar journey, you will experience sore fingers, you will become despondent, you will think you will never reach that chord, but as Mr John Wells always advised Practice, Patience and Perseverance,  and you will be able to it one day and everyone here is with you every step of the way.

• Like 7

• 4 months later...

• Member ID:  2,211
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  15

Hello from Massachusetts!

A few years ago I started the Learn & Master Guitar course with good intentions, high hopes... and a smattering of music background from several years of piano lessons. However, I also had a demanding job with a grueling commute and little time to devote to yet another hobby.  Now retired -with even more piano instruction under my belt - my music reading skills have improved dramatically. I've found that skill to be a game-changer this time around. I'm nearly done with Session 4 and look forward to the next adventure. I have a vintage Yamaha dread and a lovely Walden Grand Auditorium -which I play alternately. It's great to have an online resource where other guitarists can share ideas and tips.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Linders said:

Hello from Massachusetts!

A few years ago I started the Learn & Master Guitar course with good intentions, high hopes... and a smattering of music background from several years of piano lessons. However, I also had a demanding job with a grueling commute and little time to devote to yet another hobby.  Now retired -with even more piano instruction under my belt - my music reading skills have improved dramatically. I've found that skill to be a game-changer this time around. I'm nearly done with Session 4 and look forward to the next adventure. I have a vintage Yamaha dread and a lovely Walden Grand Auditorium -which I play alternately. It's great to have an online resource where other guitarists can share ideas and tips.  

Welcome to Guitar Gathering!

• 7 months later...

• Member ID:  2,570
  • Content Count:  4
  • Birthday:  01/01/1970

On 12/13/2018 at 7:15 PM, NeilES335 said:

Any NEW members that would like to introduce themselves and tell us about your guitar learning journey?

Greetings and Salutations - I'm a new member named Jay and restarting as a guitarist after a 35 year break.  

Until recently, I was a tournament (10-pin) competition bowler, earning a decent supplemental income.  Age (which is undefeated) and a motorcycle accident have caught up to me and I'm no longer physically able to compete which has left me a huge amount of free time.

I contemplated learning to play the sax. Growing up I took piano, drums, and guitar lessons. I progressed further with the piano than the other two instruments, but got to the point where my small hands and short fingers became a barrier to progress. Even as an adult I have small hands and short fingers. I like the accessibility of the guitar over the other instruments, so I'm learning the guitar again.

It seemed prudent to assume total ignorance of all things guitar and start all over again as a raw beginner.  

Did a bunch of research online and got some help from a friend who gets paid to play the guitar.  After testing a number of guitars for fit and feel, purchased a Mexican Fender Strat (Mexistrat?) at a local music store during a 20% off holiday sale.

Started the Justin Guitar beginner lessons on Jan 1 and have been progressing steadily while building the necessary callouses. I don't have a resource/path/plan yet for learning music theory, but I'm looking forward to that as I remember enjoying it when learning the piano. I just remember liking it and some basics, not much else.  It was 35 years ago!  I've been doing some reading and watching documentaries on (mostly rock - though I enjoy all types of music) guitarists and history.  For example, I had never heard of Charlie Christian before last week or his influence on people like Chuck Berry, Jimi Hendrix, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, and Eric Clapton. Charlie is a great listen and you can find plenty of his work on YouTube.  So if anyone has information about good books or movies or other resources on history, send them my way, please.

Several online guitarists suggested finding a community as a good way to get exposed to different fill-in-the-blank in the guitar world and that seems like good advice. That lead me to find this site. Just reading through a few posts, it looks like a fun, collaborative, and supportive environment.

I'm excited to be starting the journey and learning from you.  New Year's greeting and best wishes to everyone.

9 hours ago, Jay.A said:

Greetings and Salutations - I'm a new member named Jay and restarting as a guitarist after a 35 year break.  

Until recently, I was a tournament (10-pin) competition bowler, earning a decent supplemental income.  Age (which is undefeated) and a motorcycle accident have caught up to me and I'm no longer physically able to compete which has left me a huge amount of free time.

I contemplated learning to play the sax. Growing up I took piano, drums, and guitar lessons. I progressed further with the piano than the other two instruments, but got to the point where my small hands and short fingers became a barrier to progress. Even as an adult I have small hands and short fingers. I like the accessibility of the guitar over the other instruments, so I'm learning the guitar again.

It seemed prudent to assume total ignorance of all things guitar and start all over again as a raw beginner.  

Did a bunch of research online and got some help from a friend who gets paid to play the guitar.  After testing a number of guitars for fit and feel, purchased a Mexican Fender Strat (Mexistrat?) at a local music store during a 20% off holiday sale.

Started the Justin Guitar beginner lessons on Jan 1 and have been progressing steadily while building the necessary callouses. I don't have a resource/path/plan yet for learning music theory, but I'm looking forward to that as I remember enjoying it when learning the piano. I just remember liking it and some basics, not much else.  It was 35 years ago!  I've been doing some reading and watching documentaries on (mostly rock - though I enjoy all types of music) guitarists and history.  For example, I had never heard of Charlie Christian before last week or his influence on people like Chuck Berry, Jimi Hendrix, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, and Eric Clapton. Charlie is a great listen and you can find plenty of his work on YouTube.  So if anyone has information about good books or movies or other resources on history, send them my way, please.

Several online guitarists suggested finding a community as a good way to get exposed to different fill-in-the-blank in the guitar world and that seems like good advice. That lead me to find this site. Just reading through a few posts, it looks like a fun, collaborative, and supportive environment.

I'm excited to be starting the journey and learning from you.  New Year's greeting and best wishes to everyone.

Welcome @Jay.A !

You picked a great guitar family for your 🎸learning journey👍.

Your experince of a long hiatus and return to guitàr is like many folks here including me.

For a course of study I highly recommend Stdve Steve Krenz's Learn and Master Guitar program.. As a graduate of the course, I started about 9 yrs ago basically from scratch and am now playing at an advanced level. You can too.  THE course is available in our store here.

Dont forget to check out Live Lessons with Steve , on our You Tube channel!

Enjoy the journey;

Neil

• Like 1

• Member ID:  2,576
  • Content Count:  8
  • Device:  Macintosh

Greetings,

I got the Learn & Master course a few years ago and started the trip back to the guitar.  A life long self taught (and it shows) player.  Once again life got in the way of my road to fame and fortune.

Well February 6th will be my last day of working "for the man"  LOL and I have decided to take another go at learning the guitar.  Maybe with all my free time and Covid-19 stay at home directives I will be able to stick to it.

Wish me luck.

P.S.  I have no idea why my avatar is upside down.

• Like 1

• Member ID:  2,570
  • Content Count:  4
  • Birthday:  01/01/1970

On 1/12/2021 at 12:27 AM, NeilES335 said:

Welcome @Jay.A !

For a course of study I highly recommend Stdve Steve Krenz's Learn and Master Guitar program.. As a graduate of the course, I started about 9 yrs ago basically from scratch and am now playing at an advanced level. You can too.  THE course is available in our store here

Thank you, Neil.  I will check out Steve Krenz's program.  It is Gibson's Learn & Master Guitar with Steve Krenz?

Some advice I received was: find which course works for you and stick with it. Don't mix courses which could see you at odds in your development. Would you (or anyone else) agree?  I'm willing to do more work and more practice, I don't expect this to be easy.  Rising through the ranks of competition bowling made me understand the need for focused, disciplined practice and I did experience on occasion how practicing two different mechanics can be at odds.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Has anyone worked two different programs with success?

3 hours ago, DonMerlin said:

Once again life got in the way of my road to fame and fortune.

Life has a way of happening. I wish you the best of luck and plenty of success.

Edited by Jay.A