• Content Count:  1,076
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  166
  • Device:  Windows

23 minutes ago, Eracer_Team-DougH said:

@NeilES335 guess that Zoom H2n hand held is looking good now

That would certainly be a much simpler way if all you wanted to do was record yourself alone, or play a backing track in the background on some other device.

• Member ID:  1,552
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  169
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/21/1973

2 hours ago, NeilES335 said:

"ProTools has shut down trying to stop" , which in the middle of a project stops the recording an playback, meaning I have to close the program, and start it up again.

This could be a few things. The first to check is whether your PC/Mac has the minimum system requirements. If it does and it still does this, Pro Tools could have been corrupted when you installed it. I might recommend uninstalling and then reinstalling it.

The other issue is something that could be with your RAM. If you are running minimum RAM, this can sometimes happen when you are transferring information and the system gets bogged down. This was the reason I eventually upgraded to a new Mac. Once the new OS was installed, my system was running slowly, and poorly, and I stopped being able to run Garageband almost at all.

The last thing I can think of is make sure all programs that might be running in the background are shut down. This message happens a lot when AntiVirus programs are doing something in the background and it trips off the program to reset. I hate that, because you have to turn those programs off every time and sometimes you don't even know they are running at all. If you run a PC, check your system manager and close down any programs before you run Pro Tools.

Good Luck!!

• Member ID:  5
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03

11 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

This could be a few things. The first to check is whether your PC/Mac has the minimum system requirements. If it does and it still does this, Pro Tools could have been corrupted when you installed it. I might recommend uninstalling and then reinstalling it.

The other issue is something that could be with your RAM. If you are running minimum RAM, this can sometimes happen when you are transferring information and the system gets bogged down. This was the reason I eventually upgraded to a new Mac. Once the new OS was installed, my system was running slowly, and poorly, and I stopped being able to run Garageband almost at all.

The last thing I can think of is make sure all programs that might be running in the background are shut down. This message happens a lot when AntiVirus programs are doing something in the background and it trips off the program to reset. I hate that, because you have to turn those programs off every time and sometimes you don't even know they are running at all. If you run a PC, check your system manager and close down any programs before you run Pro Tools.

Good Luck!!

Thanks for the tips @Old Guy  Not keen at all to upgrade my 2 yrs old PC laptop... I've got another "issue report " into Avid... I'll see what they say too. 

• Member ID:  12
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  184
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  177
  • Birthday:  07/19/1948

4 hours ago, NeilES335 said:

Reaper is looking very good about now....

As I said earlier, Neil, Reaper does everything that I need.  I'm not making any comparison to ProTools (or any other software).  It probably is not as powerful.  But it does the very limited things I need.  but it does frustrate me as well! ?  I haven't used it for months and just today fired it up again.  It was like starting over!  I have been video recording some blues licks.  I got this silly notion that I should record the video with my camera and the audio separately with my DAW.  Don't ask me why. 

It was probably last summer when I last recorded anything with Reaper.  All the time I spent figuring it out again should have been spent on working the lick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ? 

20 minutes ago, matonanjin said:

As I said earlier, Neil, Reaper does everything that I need.  I'm not making any comparison to ProTools (or any other software).  It probably is not as powerful.  But it does the very limited things I need.  but it does frustrate me as well! ?  I haven't used it for months and just today fired it up again.  It was like starting over!  I have been video recording some blues licks.  I got this silly notion that I should record the video with my camera and the audio separately with my DAW.  Don't ask me why. 

It was probably last summer when I last recorded anything with Reaper.  All the time I spent figuring it out again should have been spent on working the lick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ? 

Yup, thats the deal with this stuff... a whole lot of computer" screen time " and a whole lot less "string time" ... It's why I held off for so long. I just want to play!

2 hours ago, NeilES335 said:

Thanks for the tips @Old Guy  Not keen at all to upgrade my 2 yrs old PC laptop... I've got another "issue report " into Avid... I'll see what they say too. 

Ahhh, with such a new Lap Top, you should be fine with the OS and the RAM then, unless you have less than 8GB of RAM.

Man, I wish I lived closer to you as I would love to help you through the initial DAW pains. Once you get a work flow going, it gets very quick.

• Thanks 1

On 1/25/2019 at 1:20 PM, NeilES335 said:

Well, after a month or so of struggling with all the downloads for ProToolsFirst, the plug-ins and countless hours with LiveChat and emails with Avid (maker or ProTools) and Focusrite,  about the plug ins, i think I'm settled with the process. It turned out in the end that the "My Software" on the Focusrite page which offered a dozen free plug ins, does not specify which will work with ProTools and which will not! As a result a lot of them didnt show up in ProTools, causing me to think there was something wrong, and whole bunch of frustration and wasted time.   I think I can get down to recording with it.  Or can I? Now I'm getting an Error message that says "ProTools has shut down trying to stop" , which in the middle of a project stops the recording an playback, meaning I have to close the program, and start it up again.  Jeech....     I did get to record a couple of test guitar tracks and vocal tracks... but nothing to really work with or keep yet. Getting a bit more familiar with the software, but man, there is a LOT to learn here.

Reaper is looking very good about now....

Bye Bye Pro Tools...  (Well, moved to the back burner at least.) I dont give in easily...but this was/is ridiculous. No fun at all. So...

I downloaded a trial copy of Reaper. (took like 3 mins...vs 3 hrs for PTF)  I was importing backing / jam tracks, (just drag and drop the file into thectrack!)and doing test guitar tracks and vocal tracks within a 1 hour or so! Tonight recorded guitar over a jam track after watching just 1 excellent 20min. instruction video on Reapers site. (There's a complete course there for free) Saved the project file locally .  No Cloud storage  3 project maxium crap  to deal with. MUCH easier to use and understand. Of course Ive just scratched the surface in 1 evening  session with it. Is it simple? Yes and no...its very customizable if you want it to be, or just leave  it and use as is. I did notice some lesser functions dont work on this freebie "evaluation" version, but the important stuff seems to be there. The " licenced " version cost 60$Cdn says my buddy @Eracer_Team-DougH

And guess what? It looks like all those free plug ins I downloaded from my Avid Focusrite "My Software " account  work in Reaper?, many that didnt in ProToolsFirst( or should I say Last)!

Hopefully a passable  recording to post soon... nothing specal but decent. 

• Like 2

On 1/28/2019 at 12:26 AM, NeilES335 said:

I did notice some lesser functions dont work on this freebie "evaluation" version, but the important stuff seems to be there. The " licenced " version cost 60$Cdn says my buddy @Eracer_Team-DougH

Hopefully a passable  recording to post soon... nothing specal but decent. 

Neil, I didn't think the trial version was crippled at all?  but it has been a long time since I downloaded it so mqybe I missed something or perhaps they have changed their trial policy.  I'm sure that I have mentioned before but I bought this book, Home Recording for Beginners, when I got started with Reaper.  In fact, I bought the book first, and it came with the trial version of Reaper.  Since you have already worked with recording some you may beyond the "beginner" stage that this book targets.  But it is also a pretty good reference.  And I know we have talked about the time investment but the book uses a 30 day project as a model for teaching the reader.  And it comes with a set of project files for the 30 day tutorial.  I used the project files at first but then switched to my own project.

Another great resource is "Up and Running . A Reaper User Guide".  It is not cheap, $60 US.  But over 400 pages!!!    It seems to me I bought it directly from the author, the same author as the home recording book, a lot cheaper.  Let me try and confirm that.

I'm sure that when you post soon it will be much better than passable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Member ID:  243
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  541
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  64

I like the handheld recorders like the Zoom, but I wouldn't walk away from Pro Tools so quickly. First of all Pro Tools install is a pain. You use the Avid Manager to download and install all the content which is not great. Pro Tools can use any "AAX" format effect. One of the tricky things is some publishers do not put the effects in the correct location so they don't show up. On my Win 10 PC they are located at "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Avid\Audio\Plug-Ins". All the effects in that location show up in Pro Tools. The error stopping Pro Tools sounds like something is interfering with Pro Tools. Unless you have a powerful computer Pro Tools will take up a lot of power and it expects not to be interrupted. Reinstall might work. However, if you look closely at the Pro Tools docs they kind of want you to dedicate the computer to Pro Tools. In other words strip out anything that might interfere with Pro Tools. I never did because my machine is powerful. I did find one little external program that would cause an audible pop in Pro Tools and it was tough to figure out, but I found it and eliminated it. Avid support should be able to give you a definite answer why the stop. Are you using one of the built-in Pro Tools templates? I have learned all the basics so it is easy for me to make new projects from scratch. Guitar, Mic, Master Fader for starters, and maybe effects tracks to send the clean signal. Check You Tube for beginners videos. Pro Tools has a lot of support. 

4 hours ago, Randy120 said:

I like the handheld recorders like the Zoom, but I wouldn't walk away from Pro Tools so quickly. First of all Pro Tools install is a pain. You use the Avid Manager to download and install all the content which is not great. Pro Tools can use any "AAX" format effect. One of the tricky things is some publishers do not put the effects in the correct location so they don't show up. On my Win 10 PC they are located at "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Avid\Audio\Plug-Ins". All the effects in that location show up in Pro Tools. The error stopping Pro Tools sounds like something is interfering with Pro Tools. Unless you have a powerful computer Pro Tools will take up a lot of power and it expects not to be interrupted. Reinstall might work. However, if you look closely at the Pro Tools docs they kind of want you to dedicate the computer to Pro Tools. In other words strip out anything that might interfere with Pro Tools. I never did because my machine is powerful. I did find one little external program that would cause an audible pop in Pro Tools and it was tough to figure out, but I found it and eliminated it. Avid support should be able to give you a definite answer why the stop. Are you using one of the built-in Pro Tools templates? I have learned all the basics so it is easy for me to make new projects from scratch. Guitar, Mic, Master Fader for starters, and maybe effects tracks to send the clean signal. Check You Tube for beginners videos. Pro Tools has a lot of support. 

@Randy120 Thanks for you views and suggestions. I wouldnt say after a month or so( almost every day) of trying to set up PTF ( YES..downloadind it with all the required accounts for Avid and almost every one of the plug ins Is a Pain) learn a bit of how it works only to get erroe messages and not work, is walking away easily.  IIm glad it works for you and you like it. I might have a go at it some other time but for me, now, Reaper is working much better, without the hassles.

• 3 weeks later...

Audio Interfaces; A BEGINNERS GUIDE TO RECORDING EQUIPMENT

https://www.musicrepo.com/what-is-an-audio-interface/

• Like 2

• Member ID:  37
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  27
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/27/1947
  • Device:  iPad

On 1/25/2019 at 1:20 PM, NeilES335 said:

Well, after a month or so of struggling.....

So Neil,   In summary what are your overall thoughts.  I see L&M are still showing out of stock but saw it on amazon dot ca at what looks like a good price.

was thinking of jumping in.  If I am going to learn how to play this dam thing being able to record and listen to my problems might be a good idea.   I might not be a musician but I am a computer guy so the hardware/software side should be okay.   What did L&M have it on sale for?

36 minutes ago, Dave said:

... If I am going to learn how to play this dam thing being able to record and listen to my problems might be a good idea.   I might not be a musician but I am a computer guy so the hardware/software side should be okay.   What did L&M have it on sale for?

Dave, I can't stress enough how helpful recording and listening to oneself is.  I suspected it  would be but the extent to which it was helpful surprised me.   And depressing.  Sure, one can catch mistakes while playing but in listening to the playback I heard other issues that I hadn't picked up on while live.

Let us know how the recording goes for you.  We may pick your brain some on that "hardware/software side".    I've been away from recording for a while and finding some relearning.  But I need to follow my own advice.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dave said:

So Neil,   In summary what are your overall thoughts.  I see L&M are still showing out of stock but saw it on amazon dot ca at what looks like a good price.

was thinking of jumping in.  If I am going to learn how to play this dam thing being able to record and listen to my problems might be a good idea.   I might not be a musician but I am a computer guy so the hardware/software side should be okay.   What did L&M have it on sale for?

@Dave  Hi Dave; So, after working with the recording gear for a month or so, I can say that the Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 "Studio" kit (with the interface, headphones and mic) is a very good way to go. The gear is very well built, connectors, cables, switches, knobs etc. all good quality. There is basically no "latency" (lag time between input and record/monitoring)  The mic is quite sensitive and gets good response,, and I like the headphones which are very clear, light and comfortable to wear.  

Any issues I've had (and have) have been with the DAW's. I tried ProToolsFirst, and struggled with it for about a month, downloading a load of plug ins (the free "effects" came with the Focusrite) only to find out quite a few dont work with ProTools. I found ProTools difficult to understand and work with so my buddy DougH suggested I go with Reaper. I did and found it much easier to understand and use, with learning videos much better on the Reaper website and on private YouTube channel called Reaper TV some really good videos. Reaper can be very complex too, with tons of options and customization, but you dont need to use a lot of it to do simple recording 1 track or practice with the built in metronome. I learned how to record 2 tracks and edit/produce 2 songs so far (they are on Member Recordings). One bonus was that a lot of the plug in's I downloaded from Focusrite;s "my softare" page work with Reaper.  (bought separately these can cost hundreds $$$)

You can get by with just a basic knowledge of Reaper and get acceptable results for a solo guitar player like most of us. Or of course you can go really deep and produce studio quality recording.

Having said that, I am having some issues with Reaper... I find it freezes up on me sometimes and wont play back or record properly. I've also noticed YouTube videos dont play properly while Reaper is running.. but this could just be my machine. The program is huge and demand a lot of computing power (I think) so dont run anything else while using it.

Recording has really forced me to pay close attention to my playing and I'd say overall even at this early stage I'd say it was well worth it. Just be prepared to spend quite a bit of time learning how the hardware  and especially your chosen software works.  If you're a computer guy then maybe less so... (I didnt try Ableton Live Lite which is free too... folks say its complicated,; You can use Garageband if you have a Mac)

I havent' used my amp since... I just play through the interface mostly, so for quiet practice it's really good too.

My Soundcloud channel, hear my songs ;https://soundcloud.com/search?q=neiles335

I'd say for very little money, go for the kit! (unless you have a good mic and headphones already then just the Scarlet will do fine). ( I paid $279 for the kit plus $39 for a good telescoping mic stand, (plus tax) at LMQ)

Regards; Neil 

(thinking of my next recording project)

• Like 1

Jut FYI, Zoom is coming out with an incredible little interface which has its own DSP, and will be used as a direct plug in for a PC/Mac. It will let you use a huge variety of amps, cabs and effects from within your PC/Mac and looks like an incredible little piece of hardware. No amp/mic needed at all. Just plug your guitar into the little device and then device into PC/Mac and you can record quietly or through monitor speakers. Has headphone line out, aux line in and USB - C cable out into the computer. Best of all, the price is ridiculous. $100. It's coming out in late March and I fully intend to get one and test it out. When I get it, I will put it through its paces and post a detailed review. Here's a little overview:

• Like 3

On 2/22/2019 at 4:15 PM, NeilES335 said:

@Dave  Hi Dave; So, after working with the recording gear for a month or so, I can say that the Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 "Studio" kit (with the interface, headphones and mic) is a very good way to go. The gear is very well built, connectors, cables, switches, knobs etc. all good quality. There is basically no "latency" (lag time between input and record/monitoring)  The mic is quite sensitive and gets good response,, and I like the headphones which are very clear, light and comfortable to wear.  .....

Thanks Neil...

So after a couple of days doing the research I have followed in your footsteps, ordered the same 2i2 and downloaded Reaper.  

My stuff is scheduled for delivery tomorrow.

I Found Kenny Gioia on YouTube, he has some really good instructional videos on Reaper.  

• Like 1

• Member ID:  15
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  239
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  11/12/1962

The way i record songs is, I mic the song to my computer recording  then download to my DAW . The 212 i dont use because of the lag Between the backing track and the headphones. I play the backing track on another amp and record the guitar on another amp at the same time . set mic in middle between both and adjust as needed. when recorded song is good then download to DAW to add reverb or other patches. I need the newer 212 that has lower Lag. But it takes to long to set up and you have to change drivers. you need a dedicated computer for the job. a cheap lap top from the pawn shop works good. or a old computer that not used on more. Then you can set it up and forget it.  But when recording using the computer recorder you have to go to the sound center and adjust the mic to sound levels . i had mine set then one day i had to change it for my daughter to do something and that was the end of my recording stuff because i have not wanted to go back and adjust it again. to where the amp can be loud but the recording is not. because you can fix that in the DAW . but you can not fix loud  noises. and make then soft.  My two cents

4 hours ago, Dave said:

Thanks Neil...

So after a couple of days doing the research I have followed in your footsteps, ordered the same 2i2 and downloaded Reaper.  

My stuff is scheduled for delivery tomorrow.

I Found Kenny Gioia on YouTube, he has some really good instructional videos on Reaper.  

I think you'll like the gear and Reaper @Dave.  Kenny Gioia's instructional videos are very good, and they are on Reaper's website too, as well as YouTube.

• Like 1

On 2/22/2019 at 11:42 AM, Dave said:

Watch out Dave. There is two different versions of L&M Guitar. The cheap one has only 10 DVD disks, but the expensive one has 20. There is also an older version with SD video, and a newer Gibson version with HD video. The instruction is the same, but don't cheat yourself by getting a good deal on half the material.

Just a quick tip with the 2i2. When you are setting your input levels when you record with mics, don't dial it up too much. When I record, the signal barely reads within the DAW and sometimes the green around the knob doesn't register. And that's okay.

If you record the signal too hot, especially with higher gain signals, it will clip and sound terrible. You are better off increasing the signal within your DAW than recording a hotter signal coming in. I learned this the hard way. If you want to hear what I mean, check out my video on the Blackstar Amp. There is clipping all over the place. I'm still learning and recording a micced amp is as much an art as it is a science. I didn't take it down to remind me what NOT to do!

And yes, version 2 of the 2i2 virtually eliminated the latency issues. It's a must upgrade if you have the older version.

• Like 3

• Member ID:  6
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,053
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  144
  • Birthday:  12/14/1960
  • Device:  iPhone

13 minutes ago, Randy120 said:

Watch out Dave. There is two different versions of L&M Guitar. The cheap one has only 10 DVD disks, but the expensive one has 20. There is also an older version with SD video, and a newer Gibson version with HD video. The instruction is the same, but don't cheat yourself by getting a good deal on half the material.

Randy,, Dave is talking Long and McQuade (L&M) Canada's largest music store.

Not LMG guitar DVD series 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Randy120 said:

Thanks Andy.   As per @Eracer_Team-DougH  Doug's comment, it was referencing Long and McQuade...   I guess on this site I should be more specific..  ?

• Like 1

@Eracer_Team-DougH

@dave

Sorry guys that is different. I was wondering why someone was thinking about L&M Guitar after they already joined the forum. L&M is taken around here.?

• Sad 1

• Member ID:  1,395
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  437
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Days Won:  34

I have recently purchased the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Studio pack and after reading about Neil's adventure with the included software I made the decision to stick with Garageband. I am happy to report that on a Mac it is practically a plug in and play item. I did not need to download anything (not even a driver). I got it up and running within minutes. I even got it to do multi track recording in Garageband (how cool is that) as well as being able to record a guitar and microphone simultaneously for Quicktime videos (as used in my entry in this months Recording Challenge).

I think the Studio pack is superb (thanks for the recommendation @NeilES335). The headphones are brilliant for me as I have just had to donate a load of headphones to charity because they made my ears red and sore. These fit around the ear and do not actually touch the outer ear. Fantastic! ???

• Like 3

• Member ID:  146
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  243
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  19
  • Device:  Macintosh

That's good to hear, Nutty 1. I must go and find your Recording Challenge track to hear your new-found ability. As ever, I am happy to give constructive advice but only up to the point where you overtake me!

• Like 1