• Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,076
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  166
  • Device:  Android

After playing for a while, recording is a natural evolution for a guitarist or any musician really. Let's have a discussion here and share your experience and questions about Recording Gear, DAW's (Digital Audio Workstations), microphones, and recording techniques. We can all learn a lot, and produce music we're proud of!

• Like 3

• Member ID:  5
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  6

Well to start this off, after  thinking about this for a while (and researching the daylights out of it ? ) I finally took the plunge and ordered some recording gear.  Here it is;

https://www.long-mcquade.com/74108/Pro-Audio---Recording/Audio-Interfaces/Focusrite/Scarlett-Studio-Pack-MK2-with-2i2-Mic-Headphones.htm 

The Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 Studio Pack, includes the interface, a good condenser microphone, recording type headphones, cables, 2 DAW programs (ProTools Free and Ableton Live Lite) and a bunch of guitar simulation "plug in's" .

My research on line, indicates this is the best selling and most widely used /loved interfaces in the world. (in the Series 2 version). And it was on Sale too...  Christmas present to me from my dear wife.

Im really looking forward to getting it (I had to wait, they were out of stock) and learning to use it as the next step in my guitar journey...

Now if I didnt have to learn  how do use a DAW... I think I'll use ProToolsFree...

oh well learning is Good.

• Like 2

• Member ID:  6
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,053
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  144
  • Birthday:  12/14/1960
  • Device:  iPhone

how many days do you have to wait for the stuff to arrive at LM

On 11/29/2018 at 5:31 PM, Eracer_Team-DougH said:

how many days do you have to wait for the stuff to arrive at LM

So now the store say the "studio pack" is on back order, not just from their distributor(Ericsson Canada)  but from the manufacturer... no ETA. This could take a while, but I guess there's no hurry. They have the interface alone, but not on sale. 

Edited by NeilES335
update info

• Member ID:  49
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  247
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  16
  • Birthday:  08/01/1965
  • Device:  iPhone

Great Neil!

I have a Focusrite Scarlet interface and find it much better than the previous Line 6 UX2 that I used to use.

Ian

• Thanks 1

• Member ID:  146
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  243
  • Days Won:  19
  • Device:  Macintosh

I record every band practice and gig as I can be a better judge of my playing when I am a listener than when I am on stage and not hearing the mix as the audience would. I have always found it most helpful. For this I use a Zoom portable recorder.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  39
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  5
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  1

I'll add this, I use the PreSonus Audio Box 22vsl and run PreSonus Studio One Producer DAW. I monitor with KRK KNS-8400 headphones. I'm currently researching options for studio monitors. However, my music room isn't treated so that's kind of a concern too. Just this past week I ordered a Two Notes Captor from Sweetwater, let me tell you this thing is amazing. If you have a tube amp, the Captor paired with Two Notes Wall of Sound is a must have for silent recording. I can record my Hot Rod Deluxe at any volume at any time of the day or night. If you know anything about the HRD you'll know their too loud for home recording unless you're home alone. The sweet spot on my HRD is from 2 thru 6, depending on what tone I'm trying to achieve. So my chain is, guitar>pedals>amp>Two Notes Captor>interface/headphones>computer.

Harry 

• Like 2

• Member ID:  243
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  541
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  64
  • Device:  Windows

I have experimented with it all. Direct record to interface, mics, direct and mics, amp to interface, live, multitrack with background vocals. I have done too much, and I have done too little. It can be a real challenge to get the sound you want, but it is fun and rewarding also.   

My gear:

M-Audio Fast Track C400 Audio Interface

Oxygen49 Keyboard Controller

Mackie MR5 II Studio Monitors

Pro Tools

Sennheiser e835 Mic

Nady Starpower Mic

Shure SHR440 Headphones

• Like 1

• Member ID:  1,552
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  169
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/21/1973

1 hour ago, Randy120 said:

I have experimented with it all. Direct record to interface, mics, direct and mics, amp to interface, live, multitrack with background vocals. I have done too much, and I have done too little. It can be a real challenge to get the sound you want, but it is fun and rewarding also.  

I did an experiment with the new amp I got and recorded it both DI and USB and hated the sound. It's a Blackstar Ht Club 40 MKII and it sounded very boxy and unnatural. Even though you can do DI with a 2x12 or 4x12 emulator within the amp, it just didn't sound right.

Much happier with the mics. I go through a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and it works great. The Focusrite isn't great if you are recording direct into a DAW and using the internal amps and IRs within the DAW. Barely audible latency, but it's there.

I'm dying to try the UA interfaces and plugins, but don't have the cash. I'm a HUGE Pete Thorn fan and UA put his Signature Suhr Amp as one of the plug ins. I'd love to have that! Sadly you have to have their hardware to use their plug ins. They aren't native which kinda sucks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Randy120 said:

My gear:

Sennheiser e835 Mic

Mrs. Fretless and I have 10 Sennheiser e835 mics for live work we do with vocal groups. For recording I prefer LDCs (Large diaphragm condenser mics).

• Like 1

• Member ID:  243
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  541
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  64
  • Device:  Windows

Mics are great if you have the right mic. The Nady did not handle the loud volumes of amps, but I got this mic for $19.99 with stand and cable at Musicians Friends so I can't complain. The Sennheiser e835 does pretty well.

My Fishman Loudbox Mini does a nice job recorded DI out. 

• Member ID:  1,395
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  437
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Days Won:  34

I have a Macbook and I use Garageband. I am just starting to learn how to use the advanced features (with the help of a Udemy course).  

My microphone is a Rhode NT-USB as I have very limited space and power sockets!

I sometimes record through my Yamaha THR5 and sometimes through an iRig2 which will work with a Macbook if you plug the right Apple headphones into it before you plug it into the Macbook. You have to tell Garageband to use "system settings" and also go into the Macbooks sound input to check the input level but it is easy and works well enough for me. 

• Member ID:  16
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  218
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

I have not ventured far down the recording road as my focus became playing live with whoever I could, for as long as I could and have managed to more or less stay part of an active band.  Still over the years, as bands fell apart and re-formed, I  accumulated a lot of gear that can be applied to recording when, and if, I find the opportunity.  Seems the best way for me to scare up a new opportunity to play with a band, is to give up on the band idea and buy a piece of recording gear. So far, every time I have done that, something new popped up to put recording on the back burner.

My first step was similar to Neal's, but I didn't go for the bundle.  I first got a Presonus 2 input interface, and a Senheiser E-609 thinking to primarily record electric guitar through my amp.  The interface came with StudioOne DAW software and for the few recording exercises I've done I've stuck with that as my DAW rather than Garage Band.  I took the online Berklee Music Production Course which really helped grasp how powerful DAW software is and I bought Guerilla Recording by Karl Coryat to learn some tips for home recording on a mortal budget.

Over time, I added a few more Mic's to my collection ending up with a Senheiser e-835 and a Audio Technical something (both similar to a SM-57) and a pair of Shure KSM27 LDC's that I did purchase with recording in mind but haven't employed in that role.

I also have a 18 channel digital mixer (again purchased for live playing vs recording but capable of a double role) which has replace the Presonus as a recording interface.  With the XR-18, I can, theoretically, record 18 individual tracks simultaneously. I don't know how my desktop would handle the processing that many tracks though. I have experimented with 5-6 tracks and it worked and look forward to an opportunity to try and record the whole band with individual tracks for 3-5 mics on drums, 3 vocal mic's, bass, lead and rhythm guitar.

And with all this recording gear I'm still currently jonesing for a portable recorder to do down and dirty recordings of rehearsals for critique and to capture the arrangements my band plays so I can practice that instead of the original recordings.

Edited by Six String

On 11/29/2018 at 5:33 PM, NeilES335 said:

So now the store say the "studio pack" is on back order, not just from their distributor(Ericsson Canada)  but from the manufacturer... no ETA. This could take a while, but I guess there's no hurry. They have the interface alone, but not on sale. 

Well, my gear arrived today ? Now the fun begins.... wow is there ever a lot of software to download!

A word of advice... allow yourself plenty of time to download the included software, ProToolsFirst or Ableton Live Lite.... This can take hours, depending on your download speed. For me ProTools shows it will take 3 hours! More time for the other stuff... READ THE MANUAL! Windows users must download the Drivers too, first.

Further note; Well Ive been at the downloading off and on for 3 days now... (my download speed is average) Along with the DAW of your  choice you can install about 8 different Plug In suites (all Free included) .Each one requires a new account with a different deveoper, log - in, password verification, installer, download, activation ( throught a ILock  Plug in manager app) then activation in the DAW itself. (that bit i havent figured out yet)  Fortunately they are all integrated, but without online chat support Id be euchred. SO...dont expect to be recording 1st day with all the toys installed ... then figure out how to use the DAW....(patience Neil...)

Edited by NeilES335
additional comments
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, NeilES335 said:

Well, my gear arrived today ? Now the fun begins.... wow is there ever a lot of software to download!

Awesome!! I would go the Pro Tools route over Ableton. I've heard not so great things about Ableton, especially compared to Pro Tools.

Pro Tools is the more advanced version of Garageband. (I'm terribly sorry, but I meant that Logic was the advanced version of Garageband. Sorry for the confusion) Not sure how the Free version compares to the Retail version, but I'm sure there are loads of YouTubes to help you get up and running.

Most of all, have fun!!

Edited by Old Guy

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Pro Tools is the more advanced version of Garageband.

ProTools is ProTools and has long been the tool of choice in professional studios.

Garageband is the cutdown version that Apple produced after it bought Logic, so it would be more accurate to say that Logic Pro is the more advanced version of Garageband.

Ableton Live is the defacto DAW for live use, playing tracks, controlling MIDI and DMX lighting.

Reaper has earned great respect as a capable DAW. It is open-source and the $60 price is affordable to most.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fretless said:

ProTools is ProTools and has long been the tool of choice in professional studios.

Garageband is the cutdown version that Apple produced after it bought Logic, so it would be more accurate to say that Logic Pro is the more advanced version of Garageband.

Ableton Live is the defacto DAW for live use, playing tracks, controlling MIDI and DMX lighting.

Reaper has earned great respect as a capable DAW. It is open-source and the $60 price is affordable to most.

You are correct, sir! I will amend my post. Sorry about that. Old Guy brain lapse. Apologies.

I am personally not a fan of Ableton for someone just getting started. I personally found it not very intuitive when compared to something like Garageband.

Edited by NeilES335

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

A crap!! You are correct, sir! I will amend my post. Sorry about that. Old Guy brain fart. Apologies.

I am personally not a fan of Ableton for someone just getting started. I personally found it not very intuitive when compared to something like Garageband.

I think the comparison to Garage Band applies to pretty much all the leading DAW's.  Garage Band is intended to make music production more accessible to the masses while the others are targeted to an audience that has, or is willing to spend the time to acquire, some reasonably deep level of understanding of the recording process.  It is a steep curve to learn even a fraction of what a recording engineer knows, but once you get the basics, you'll see Pro Tools, Ableton, StudioOne, etc. all have similar capabilities and workflows with more in common than different as they all seek to mimic the capabilities of a professional recording studio. 

7 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Awesome!! I would go the Pro Tools route over Ableton. I've heard not so great things about Ableton, especially compared to Pro Tools.

Pro Tools is the more advanced version of Garageband. (I'm terribly sorry, but I meant that Logic was the advanced version of Garageband. Sorry for the confusion) Not sure how the Free version compares to the Retail version, but I'm sure there are loads of YouTubes to help you get up and running.

Most of all, have fun!!

Thanks for the opinion...my intention was and is to go with ProToolsFirst.  I figured why learn something else supposed to be easier and then have to learn a better software later.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Six String said:

I think the comparison to Garage Band applies to pretty much all the leading DAW's.  Garage Band is intended to make music production more accessible to the masses while the others are targeted to an audience that has, or is willing to spend the time to acquire, some reasonably deep level of understanding of the recording process. 

Not sure I completely agree with this. Garageband is extremely powerful. It has very deep functionality once you dive into it. I find that that is its strength. It can be as basic or as complex as you need it to be. YMMV.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Not sure I completely agree with this. Garageband is extremely powerful. It has very deep functionality once you dive into it. I find that that is its strength. It can be as basic or as complex as you need it to be. YMMV.

I'll certainly defer to your experience as I've barely scraped the surface of any DAW.  

I got to see how common recording processes were accomplished in several leading DAW's going through the online recording class I took and had to translate them to StudioOne, as it was not one of the DAW's the instructor demonstrated on.  I have also used Garage Band a bit as a Mac user.  

• Like 1

I would describe the different DAWs as being like a car, a van, a lorry (or truck to our American friends) and a bus. In principle they are all motorised vehicles designed to get you from A to B. In practice, the way they operate and their particular strengths and weaknesses differ enough that moving from one to another is never quite as straightforward as it should be.

Edited by Fretless
spelling
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

On 12/22/2018 at 5:12 PM, NeilES335 said:

Thanks for the opinion...my intention was and is to go with ProToolsFirst.  I figured why learn something else supposed to be easier and then have to learn a better software later.

Well, after a month or so of struggling with all the downloads for ProToolsFirst, the plug-ins and countless hours with LiveChat and emails with Avid (maker or ProTools) and Focusrite,  about the plug ins, i think I'm settled with the process. It turned out in the end that the "My Software" on the Focusrite page which offered a dozen free plug ins, does not specify which will work with ProTools and which will not! As a result a lot of them didnt show up in ProTools, causing me to think there was something wrong, and whole bunch of frustration and wasted time.   I think I can get down to recording with it.  Or can I? Now I'm getting an Error message that says "ProTools has shut down trying to stop" , which in the middle of a project stops the recording an playback, meaning I have to close the program, and start it up again.  Jeech....     I did get to record a couple of test guitar tracks and vocal tracks... but nothing to really work with or keep yet. Getting a bit more familiar with the software, but man, there is a LOT to learn here.

Reaper is looking very good about now....

• Like 1

• Member ID:  6
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  1,053
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  144
  • Birthday:  12/14/1960