• Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  278
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/13/1955
  • Device:  iPhone

I just can't seem to sit in front of a computer screen and do on-line courses.. 

but for some strange reason I can sit in front of a 50" tv and do Steve's.. go figure?  @Eracer_Team-DougH

This response in the On Line Sites topic started me to question just how many of our GG group use aids / electronics to assist in practice.  I'm not looking for a BEST guitar, pedal, DI, or amplifier discussion; but creative methods for how we focus during practice sessions on a task and follow through on them.  Using Doug again, he has discussed his "practice set-up in the car over lunch" in the past.  I personally do not have an electronic system in place when I "woodshed".  I try to use an iPod with speakers for jam track playback because earbuds get in my way.  I own a Ditto looper but have yet to really blow the dust off of it.  Other members have mentioned video playback software that can slow things down.  

Can fellow GG inspire other members to change the way they practice (for the better) by creative ideas?

Bryan

• Member ID:  186
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  51
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  9

For video playback I've been using Transcribe for about 3 years, and I'm very happy with it.  You can do all sorts of things such as slowing things down, changing the key, looping certain portions, etc.  I think I first heard about this software from JustinGuitar.

Here's a link to the website.  I see that it's selling for only $39 which is a great deal.

https://www.seventhstring.com/xscribe/buy.html

• Member ID:  157
  • Topic Count:  10

@WATSON43  Thanks.  Are you running the software on your computer during your practice with guitar in hand?  If so, how do you have things arranged around you?

• Member ID:  12
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  184
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  177
  • Birthday:  07/19/1948
  • Device:  Windows

I have mentioned in this forum before my appreciation of Video Surgeon so I won't repost that.  It is, unquestionably, my most used tool or aid.  I use it daily.

It is more hardware but I also purchased a Boss Eband JS-10 very early in my learning.  I just find it more useful for slowing down and/or looping audio files (think backing tracks and GL&MG jam tracks) than doing it on my computer.  One can  model amps and it has loads of effects in it but I never set those up.  I use it daily as well.  It is also a really handy portable amp when I travel or go jam.  It is easily thrown on the back seat of my car or in the overhead.

These two items are indispensable to me.

ps.. @Plantsman13, Santa brought me a Ditto Looper and I haven't taken it out of the box yet!

• Thanks 1

• Member ID:  5
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,077
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  166
  • Device:  Android

I'm not sure @Plantsman13if you're asking about practice methods, or the gear, or both, but here goes...

For practice, I try to keep it simple. Usually I watch the LMG lesson for example, then I turn off the computer dvd or my tv (quite outdated by Doug's standard ;-) with the dvd player, and focus on the written lesson and work on that untii I feel like I've "got it down" pretty well. Then I'll go back the Lesson, and run through it playing along with Steve. Then depending on how well I'm doing, I'll go play along with the jam tracks. I usually put my laptop on my music stand, and if i'm using my amp, there's a 1/8 jack into the amp I connect to the computer. My amp (Fender GDEC ) takes an SD card, so I load the backing tracks on there, and play along with them.  The amp will record short clips as well to check how I'm doing, or sometimes I record with my Ditto X2 looper.  Lot's of times its' just me, unplugged acoustic, and the written music or lesson on my music stand or bed ... nothing too complicated.  KISS.  (not the band )

ps I almost forgot... when Doug kindly fixes my amPhones, I'll get back to using them to practice quietly sometimes. They have a jack that allows me to plug in lessons or jam tracks from my phone or computer.

• Thanks 1

• Member ID:  13
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  304
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  16
  • Birthday:  10/03/1947

I watch Steve's video to start, but after that it's all by the book. I feel that I can't devote my concentration to the task at hand if I have to deal with a computer. But hey, that's just me.

Henk

• Thanks 1

Thanks to all for their input.  I struggle with video that doesn't have tab to go along with it; so finding ways to "show me more than one time" are necessary.  I have not explored the improved video features on Tru-Fire to any degree because I feel they interfere with the task at hand.   I see there is potential software and a learning path that awaits me.  When it comes to backing /jam tracks I'm looking for ways to reduce their interruption in my routine and let them become a seamless part of my practice.  Right now, they are the pebble in my shoe during practice.  I had not considered SD cards in that regard, so another door opens.  I have an amp that accepts them, but never considered it.

I think my mindset follows @Oldjock to the letter in most regards.  I feel a need to learn to play the instrument and better appreciate its mysteries come first and foremost; the reasons I set out on this journey.  However, it's the creative minds from fellow pickers that I hope will continue to open closed doors for me.

Thanks again

• Member ID:  186
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  51
  • Days Won:  9

@Plantsman13, I don't use Transcribe for every practice session.  I use it primarily when learning new material, especially difficult guitar solos or intricate finger picking songs.  I'll slow everything down and loop 3 or 4 bars at a time, playing them over and over again.

I'm not sure I understand your question regarding how I have things arranged around me -- I'm merely sitting in front of my computer and keyboard with my guitar in hand.

I hope this helps.

@WATSON43  Thanks for your input.  Your answered my question of whether the computer (and keyboard) are directly involved with your practice.  Transcribe is on my list of things to investigate.

• 1 month later...

• Member ID:  221
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  41
  • Days Won:  0

Steve on the Jumbotron!

Sometimes, I play the DVD's on my mac and then use Airplay to my AppleTV on the big screen in my family room. This way I can better see Steve's fingering and which strings or notes he's playing. I also stand in front of the tv with the music stand raised up and the practice book next to me. I usually do this when no one else is home because I think I look like a bit of a dork! lol

Bill

• Thanks 1

• Member ID:  328
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  95
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  11
  • Birthday:  01/10/1932

I have four items I’ve considered essential in my learning experience, and three of them are fairly expensive. The first is Hal leonard’s Your First Fake Book, over 100 songs in the key of C. It’s $20, and here’s why I think it’s necessary. Steve’s L&MG Course is legally prohibited from including modern songs, so we’re limited by his selection from what’s in the public domain. This fake book widens our scope and lets us have more fun than if we stick to Steve’s songs. They’re simple and worthwhile, and I think are inline with what Steve would include if he could.

The other three items are essential to me, maybe not to others, but recall that on January 10, I’ll be 87 and not as agile as I once was. I have a Manhasset Symphony music stand - $50 with clip-on Manhasset light - $25. The other is my Soundseat with foot ring. They’re currently $350. I’ve had mine since the founder started making them, and he’s passed for several years now. If my mini-brain’s math is correct, that’s $445 plus s/h. That’s lotsa coin, but to me they’re essential. Lotsa luck.

Edited by John Wells
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Member ID:  4
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  490
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Days Won:  65

+1 for Soundseats - and not just because they are a good North Carolina company ?

My Soundseat is one of the best practice-related things I have purchased.

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  1,552
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  169
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  02/21/1973

The two single things I think will improve anyone's playing the most is a metronome and a Looper pedal.

Not only can that help with your ear training, but also with your timing.

Play one chord and loop it. Then play around on the fingerboard. Try to find every note on the fingerboard that sounds like it "fits" into that one chord. Rinse and repeat with all the chords you know. This will not only teach you the tones to listen for, but will also teach you to play over each chord, not just the key the tune you know is in.This will help in a jam situation as well.  If you are more interested in learning scales and how they fit, there are plenty of resources to learn that off line. I don't know if these are still a thing, but the Guitar Grimoire series of books were amazing back in the day.

Then learning a chord progression and laying it down within the Looper is a lot harder than it sounds. Especially if you do this with a metronome or a drum loop. Getting the timing right can get challenging.

I was never one to sit and learn from actual lessons. I always have ants in my pants so I never had the patience. The only thing I ever had patience for was putting a rock on LPs to slow them down and cop licks back in the day, LOL.

Edited by Old Guy
  • Thanks 1