Who Out There Is Studying the Learn and Master Guitar Program?

Who Out There Is Studying The Learn and Master Guitar Program? Poll...  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Learn and Master Guitar Student?

• I am studying the Learn and Master Guitar program by Steve Krenz. It is my main focus for learning guitar.
    • I once was studying the Learn and Master Guitar program but do not follow it any longer.
    • I would like to study guitar with the Learn and Master Guitar program.
    • I studied guitar with this program and completed the course.

• Member ID:  1,523
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  20
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/16/1974

On 2/28/2019 at 2:47 AM, Sharont said:

My husband bought this years ago and used it to start his guitar learning journey.  I started my own journey about 2 1/2 years ago but only started doing this in January of this year.   It has been a great program so far and I can tell I am making some real progress finally. 

@Sharont It's always nice to hear from other beginners. Know that you're not alone. I started working on the LMG course before Christmas 2018.

I wish you good luck on your path! ?

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

• Member ID:  362
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  2
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

I started this course around almost 3 years ago. I have just been struggling on the same sessions and hopefully this time around I will conquer them. Season 7 - 9 have been my brick wall. Id find myself doing them diligently for a few months and then I just switch off for some reason. When I come back, Im rusty as hell and then I have to start over back to session 7. I could use some encouragement on follwing it through. I really want to be a good guitar player.

• Like 1

• Member ID:  4
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  490
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Days Won:  65
  • Device:  Windows

My best advice is to:

• Go slow
  • Break what you are learning down into very small components - and master each component before moving on
  • Play what you are learning with others
  • Keep at it!

Best of luck!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

• Member ID:  1,773
  • Content Count:  3
  • Birthday:  12/31/1984

I started the L&M guitar program yesterday. I'm on session 1, practicing the finger exercises. I'm 34 and have wanted to play an instrument for a long time. I regret not starting earlier. I never took band or lessons in my life. I picked up an acoustic guitar about 10 years ago and managed to only play for a week.

I love music and I want to understand it on a deeper level. I'm grateful for the L&M guitar program because it seems like a way to build a strong foundation. I bought a Yamaha Pacifica electric guitar and am excited about the journey ahead! 

• Like 3

• Member ID:  5
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,076
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  166

12 hours ago, Twalumba said:

I started the L&M guitar program yesterday. I'm on session 1, practicing the finger exercises. I'm 34 and have wanted to play an instrument for a long time. I regret not starting earlier. I never took band or lessons in my life. I picked up an acoustic guitar about 10 years ago and managed to only play for a week.

I love music and I want to understand it on a deeper level. I'm grateful for the L&M guitar program because it seems like a way to build a strong foundation. I bought a Yamaha Pacifica electric guitar and am excited about the journey ahead! 

@Twalumba Welcome to Guitar Gathering and the Learn and  Master Guitar program! We're glad you're here and excited about your guitar learning journey ahead. You"ll find lots of help and support here as you learn from what I believe is the best self study course available today. Be sure to ask qiestions in the appropriate forum and join us for Live Lessons as per schedule. 

All the Best ! Neil

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Member ID:  12
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  184
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  177
  • Birthday:  07/19/1948

23 hours ago, Twalumba said:

Twalumba, welcome to you and best of luck with the L&M Guitar course and your guitar learning journey.  I'm going to make another post but you are our 1,700th member!  Please post here often and keep us up to date on your progress. And, as @NeilES335 suggested, ask questions any time you have one or just reach out if you get frustrated.  And, yes, join us for Tuesday night Live Lessons if it works for your schedule.

I started my guitar learning journey with a Yamaha Pacifica as well. Santa brought it a few years ago.  What a great underrated guitar it is.  

And, lastly, I have to ask, what part of Iowa are you in, neighbor? 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Member ID:  9
  • Group:  Moderators
  • Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  813
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Achievement Points:  1
  • Days Won:  209
  • Birthday:  01/01/1953
  • Device:  Macintosh

@Twalumba, welcome to our guitar family! You will find others here at every level of skill and experience. We share a love of guitar music and an abiding respect for Steve, who is both unfailingly encouraging and forthright about what we need to do. As you start out, you might be interested in a reading list and some resources for study that I compiled. Ask questions, no matter how basic they might seem. Seek out others: a nearby college or nonprofit may operate a community music school where you can find a good instructor. There is just no substitute for having a pair of trained eyes and ears on you as you learn. There may be a Meetup guitar group near you where you can play with others. Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

• Member ID:  14
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  528
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  09/26/1951
  • Device:  iPhone

Learn and Master Guitar by Steve Krenz was my jumpstart for returning to playing guitar after 38 years away from the instrument. I was a self taught novice with a mastery of basic barre  and open chords which, in my younger years, allowed me to compose many original songs, as I was more a writer than musician. That said, I was content with my limited skill level and knowledge of the instrument and of music. Then work and life intervened and the guitar went into the closet. In 2008, after 3 thumb surgeries for arthritic maladies, I decided I might be able to once again play. While recovering with a cast on after my 3rd surgery, I purchased the  LMG course after researching the internet for options, bought my first nice acoustic guitar and began studying the course before I could even play. I made the commitment to not just play, but to learn some music theory which was so lacking in my past. I was persistent and committed to the course and made it through all the lessons. Did I master them all? No, but the coursebook and the CD's remain on my desktop for frequent reference to refresh the aging grey matter that keeps misplacing some of the teachings. I have completed the Blues course, but will concede that I never be more than a novice soloist. The knowledge gained from these courses though, gave me the courage to participate in local blues jam classes offered at a couple of local community colleges , where I met other musicians like me who just wanted to get out of the music room and meet other like minded musicians. None that I met were brilliant musicians but all were eager to share time together having the joy of learning the genre and making music together. I have played now in several bands built out of these associations and perform on occasion to live audiences. All of this as a result of a calculated decision to buy a course created by Steve Krenz 12 years ago. I keep thinking that I will someday get past lesson two in the fingerstyle book but I still have the rest of my life for learning. I know I should be a better player by now than I am, but I am just grateful to have made the wise decisions in 2008 to give the course a ride....

Greg

Edited by gotto
  • Like 7

• 3 months later...

• Member ID:  1,864
  • Content Count:  6
  • Birthday:  09/23/1951

I'm Tuninghead. I joined L&M 4 years ago.  I'm working on S11.  I use various other instructions; internet instructors, 3 learn to play guitar books, various notation songbooks, and different guitar magazines.  Combining all of these has improved my playing and my knowledge of music. Still, with using all these learning materials, I always go back to Steve Krenz and Gibson Learn and Master.  Maybe someday, I'll be a "real" master guitar player.

• Like 4

• Member ID:  112
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  21
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  09/19/1953

As soon as I'm free from a private instructor, I'm going to restart my LMG program again with renewed vigor, hopefully.  I fumbled around with myself procrastinating with the work, using every excuse I could think of but since about 3 months ago I been doing outside help with an instructor and it's helped. At the end of the year I hope to resume the program and proceed at my own pace.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  1,140
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  56
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Hi just started S11bonus material and interesting to play along with the music doing the patterns. It certainly breaks up the regular practice session and just playing chords....so far moving it’s coming along and look forward to S12...... hard to believe I have come this far ...but happy I finally decided to get back to the journey.... 🎸🎼🎸 

• Member ID:  1,876
  • Content Count:  4
  • Birthday:  10/08/1960

Just starting the LMG program. Only on Session 2, but will definitely check back if I have any questions along the way. Starting out a bit late in life doing this (I'm 58) , but I am determined that I will learn how to pick a guitar before I totally lose my hearing (a unfortunate genetic trait I possess). 

• Like 3

This Poll is now OPEN once again . Share with us how you're doing with the LMG course!

5 hours ago, poorwayne said:

Just starting the LMG program. Only on Session 2, but will definitely check back if I have any questions along the way. Starting out a bit late in life doing this (I'm 58) , but I am determined that I will learn how to pick a guitar before I totally lose my hearing (a unfortunate genetic trait I possess). 

Welcome Wayne! Glad you chose to be part of our Guitar Gathering family🎸👍.

• Like 1

• Member ID:  6
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,053
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  144
  • Birthday:  12/14/1960
  • Device:  iPhone

@poorwayne seems many of us started out "late" but no harm done, you have the rest of your life to enjoy making music

LMG and Steve Krenz are a good source to make that happen 

• Like 2

On 9/21/2019 at 10:58 PM, NeilES335 said:

Welcome Wayne! Glad you chose to be part of our Guitar Gathering family🎸👍.

Much appreciated Neil! I'm glad I was able to find you all.

On 9/22/2019 at 7:55 AM, Eracer_Team-DougH said:

@poorwayne seems many of us started out "late" but no harm done, you have the rest of your life to enjoy making music

LMG and Steve Krenz are a good source to make that happen 

Thanks Doug, I can't change the past, but I am looking forward to this journey... 

• Member ID:  12
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  184
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  177
  • Birthday:  07/19/1948

On 9/21/2019 at 4:31 PM, poorwayne said:

@poorwayne, definitely check back when you have any questions along the way.  We, of course, are fortunate to have the author of L&MG, Steve Krenz, answering our questions.  This is his website and his forum and it can't get any closer to the source!

Of course, Steve is busy and can't always respond immediately.  There are lots of students on here of varying degrees of progress through the Learn and Master Program.  There is always someone willing to offer help and encouragement until Steve can respond. 

Keep us updated on your progress.  And I started L&MG considerably older than 58!🤔

• Like 1

1 hour ago, matonanjin said:

@poorwayne, definitely check back when you have any questions along the way.  We, of course, are fortunate to have the author of L&MG, Steve Krenz, answering our questions.  This is his website and his forum and it can't get any closer to the source!

Of course, Steve is busy and can't always respond immediately.  There are lots of students on here of varying degrees of progress through the Learn and Master Program.  There is always someone willing to offer help and encouragement until Steve can respond. 

Keep us updated on your progress.  And I started L&MG considerably older than 58!🤔

@matonanjin Thanks! Glad to hear that there may be hope for me yet (being over 58) . From what I can see so far, I happened upon one heck of a nice course. This is gonna be fun ....

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

• Member ID:  1,140
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  56

I too began the LMG later in life and started about year and a half ago and currently in S11.. life gets in the way at time and priorities change....as us older folks now have a little more free time....happy that I started and can’t believe I have gotten this far...really enjoying the ride 🎸🎼🎸 

• Like 1

• Member ID:  1,648
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  103
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  01/03/1961

It's fun to read of the diverse ways we ended up learning to play guitar with maestro Steve. One thing I look for in an instructor is how they walk their talk. Steve has been a working pro all his life and we can see this regularly most Tuesdays, at Gatherings, etc. So I study this material without holding back. The more I learn, the more habits I notice in more experienced players that I won't have to unlearn.

I said hello elsewhere. (This thread was not open.) I started a few months after my 56th birthday and hit the "Session 4 wall." I restarted a few months after I turned 58. I am over the crest of Session 4. MOre sixth string exercises anyone? It's exciting to read those octave jumps and notice that sometimes they have been sounding without my thinking about it. Wait! How did that happen?

Welcome to you fellow beginners and thanks for all the help from you more experienced players!

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

• Member ID:  1,935
  • Content Count:  7
  • Birthday:  04/09/1969

I had started the L&M Guitar course and playing guitar about 3 years ago. I was making steady progress with the course for about a year or so. I had progressed through the first 9 sessions and mostly through the 10th session (minus the third line of Canon in D). I was working in Sessions 11-13 when I began to take private lessons. While I made an effort to retain my previous learning with the L&M course, I had not made much progress over the past couple of years due to my private instruction. My instructor primarily emphasized learning guitar through learning songs. We had met every week for about a half an hour and, on average, I would learn about a half a song per week which took the majority of my practice time. My schedule changed to working 12 hour night shifts at the beginning of this year so I am no longer taking the private lessons. I have returned to the course and have worked my way back to where I had left off. Currently, I am working in session 11 but have been struggling gaining competence with soloing. I am also working through the Speed & Agility course, , starting the L&M Songs Course and working through the Triad Lessons from the Live Lessons. The L&M courses and especially Steve K are such great resources with so much to learn. I'm just taking it one practice day at a time and loving it!

I had joined the forum a few months ago and have really enjoyed reading through the posts to see the successes which everyone has achieved, as well as, the common struggles that are currently being overcome.

Thanks everyone for your posts and best wishes in your guitar journey!

• Like 2

• Member ID:  292
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  72
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/23/1958

Donated my course to a young lady that plays bass and wanted to learn guitar but have LMG lesson book on desktop. I'm only using Steve's scales lessons, primarily a strummer/vocalist, "some" guitar flat picking, learning the mandolin on another site, and slowly relearning piano. Yes, there are other guitar sites with "lessons," which is usually, "learn these tunes or licks," …..but …….the LMG should be the "go to" for anyone desiring to learn the "core," of guitar playing to especially include the scales lesson. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Tnt1benton said:

I had started the L&M Guitar course and playing guitar about 3 years ago. I was making steady progress with the course for about a year or so. I had progressed through the first 9 sessions and mostly through the 10th session (minus the third line of Canon in D). I was working in Sessions 11-13 when I began to take private lessons. While I made an effort to retain my previous learning with the L&M course, I had not made much progress over the past couple of years due to my private instruction. My instructor primarily emphasized learning guitar through learning songs. We had met every week for about a half an hour and, on average, I would learn about a half a song per week which took the majority of my practice time. My schedule changed to working 12 hour night shifts at the beginning of this year so I am no longer taking the private lessons. I have returned to the course and have worked my way back to where I had left off. Currently, I am working in session 11 but have been struggling gaining competence with soloing. I am also working through the Speed & Agility course, , starting the L&M Songs Course and working through the Triad Lessons from the Live Lessons. The L&M courses and especially Steve K are such great resources with so much to learn. I'm just taking it one practice day at a time and loving it!

I had joined the forum a few months ago and have really enjoyed reading through the posts to see the successes which everyone has achieved, as well as, the common struggles that are currently being overcome.

Thanks everyone for your posts and best wishes in your guitar journey!

@Tnt1benton Welcome to our Guitar Gathering site! Sounds like you're doing great! As Steve K says..." Learn all you can".

• 3 weeks later...

• Member ID:  2,143
  • Content Count:  1
  • Days Won:  1

Hi all. I started with the L&M program almost 10 years ago and got to around section 14. However I was derailed by a series of events including a broken wrist followed by some sprained fingers just as I was regaining enough wrist strength to play, and then life craziness with kids' activities and also realizing I was getting pretty out of shape and deciding to spend what used to be my guitar time on exercise.

Now that I'm mostly housebound for a while I figured it would be a good time to dust the guitars and DVDs off and start up again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1