Who Out There Is Studying the Learn and Master Guitar Program?

Who Out There Is Studying The Learn and Master Guitar Program? Poll...  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Learn and Master Guitar Student?

• I am studying the Learn and Master Guitar program by Steve Krenz. It is my main focus for learning guitar.
    • I once was studying the Learn and Master Guitar program but do not follow it any longer.
    • I would like to study guitar with the Learn and Master Guitar program.
    • I studied guitar with this program and completed the course.

• Member ID:  5
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,076
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  166
  • Device:  Windows

33 minutes ago, ShadowBoxer86 said:

I started the L & M Guitar course when I turned 60.  Took me 18 months of solid work to complete it, no short cuts, just treated it like a college course and stuck with it.  I avoided any other side tracts so as not to get distracted.  It took six months to complete the Blues Spot Light course, and backed that up with "Blues Grooves" from Steve that I won on one of the live lessons and finished that one 2 months ago.  The L & M Fingerstyle course was the hardest and that took me about 14 months to complete.  I like that one so much I spent a year just learning classical music from "Classical for Guitar" that I also got from Steve.  I figured if studying classical was good enough for Mark Knopfler it probably wouldn't hurt me to do the same.  During that time I also finished the L & M Song Hits.  I did not memorize them, just learned them to be able to play them with the printed music.  Now, I am doing what I really wanted to do in the first place...learning rock and roll songs.  So now after 4 and a half years I feel like I can play most any intermediate songs (classical, blues or rock) and now it really doesn't take that long to learn riffs.  If I hear it (over and over LOL) I can figure it out.  (Yes, it was worth it.)  Still working full time as well.  If I can do it, anyone can.  You don't have to be gifted.  The only week I don't practice every day is when I go to Chicago to a week long medical meeting after every Thanksgiving as I have for the last 32 years.  If I behave, my wife might let me stop by the Chicago Music Exchange this time though.  Good Luck to the rest of you on your own guitar journey.  GH 

@ShadowBoxer86 Thank you for sharing your inspiring guitar journey and congratulations! Most of us have been at it far longer and have not progressed nearly as far. As you say if one really applies oneself constistantly it is  amazing what can be accomplished.

• Like 1

• Member ID:  12
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  184
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  177
  • Birthday:  07/19/1948

On 11/22/2018 at 10:45 PM, ShadowBoxer86 said:

I started the L & M Guitar course when I turned 60.  Took me 18 months of solid work to complete it, no short cuts, just treated it like a college course and stuck with it.

Making a couple assumptions here, that at 60 you are not retired yet and, that you have a busy medical practice. Completing L&MG in 18 months is very impressive.  Even without those assumptions it's impressive!  Some of us, thinking in particular of one chubby , old guy in Nebraska, could not complete L&MG that quickly when retired! 

Thanks for sharing your journey, ShadowBoxer.    Fair warning!  going to Chicago Music Exchange can be very dangerous!

• Like 1

• Member ID:  72
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  126
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  3

I have to admit I am more like Eracer. back and forth, trying to get my grandkids on board too.  Just something I do always for fun. Now back to my dreaming about the JB Blues Explosion program I taped!  One day.. Just One Day 1 

Any more votes or comments to "Who Out There Is Studying the Learn and Master Guitar Program?

• Like 1

• NeilES335 unpinned and pinned this topic

On 12/4/2018 at 9:33 PM, NeilES335 said:

Any more votes or comments to "Who Out There Is Studying the Learn and Master Guitar Program?

How about it folks? Would anyone else like to vote and /or share your experience with the Learn and Master Guitar Program, before I close the poll?

• Like 2

• Member ID:  9
  • Group:  Moderators
  • Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  813
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Achievement Points:  1
  • Days Won:  209
  • Birthday:  01/01/1953
  • Device:  Macintosh

Wow. We are approaching 1,500 members, our one year anniversary with the new forum, and I have exactly 16 fellow students with me still following Steve's course.

• Like 1

• Member ID:  4
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  490
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Days Won:  65

58 minutes ago, DianeB said:

Wow. We are approaching 1,500 members, our one year anniversary with the new forum, and I have exactly 16 fellow students with me still following Steve's course.

Maybe most of them are shy ?

• Like 1

• Member ID:  67
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  130
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  13

2 hours ago, NeilES335 said:

How about it folks? Would anyone else like to vote and /or share your experience with the Learn and Master Guitar Program, before I close the poll?

I just finished it!  it took a while but since moved on to learn slide, chicken Picking and learn how to imulate pedal steel and the violin on the guitar.  Excellent course!!! 

Danny

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DianeB said:

Right Diane; I bet there are a lot more...

• 3 weeks later...

• Member ID:  1,523
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  20
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/16/1974

On 12/14/2018 at 1:11 AM, NeilES335 said:

Right Diane; I bet there are a lot more...

Yes, there's also me. ?

I bought the original course before Gibson got involved. When was that? Around 2008 or 2009, I believe. Took a long break from it, mostly because my employer decided to give me assignments in other cities. Didn't want to bring my guitar with me. It's too precious to me, and I didn't want to risk damaging it while traveling. When I finally returned to my home city (in Norway, Scandinavia, by the way), I didn't get back into practicing the guitar, for many reasons.

Well, in November this year, I finally came to my senses and brushed some dust of the course book and picked it off the shelf. I am currently on session 2, trying to remember the notes on the first and second strings. It's going well so far.

It's funny; every day I think about the guitar and playing it. I really feel as if it's calling to me. In my heart I know that it is really my heart calling to the guitar; I really need this. It's as if I've been neglecting the artistic part of myself for all these years by not learning how to express myself through this magnificent and beautiful instrument.

This time around, I'm confident that I'm going to be able to stick with it. Being inspired really helps, as well as having access to my guitar. ?

• Like 6

Thank you to all those that responded! 

• Like 1

• Member ID:  24
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  156
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  03/02/1964

I am recovering from rotator cuff surgery and I gave my guitar a play over the weekend and I can play without too much pain.  So I am looking forward to getting back into the lessons.  I left off on lesson 9 and now I will go through the first eight again to refresh my memory.   I also have the fingerstyle lessons to get through eventually!  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rkl312 said:

I am recovering from rotator cuff surgery and I gave my guitar a play over the weekend and I can play without too much pain.  So I am looking forward to getting back into the lessons.  I left off on lesson 9 and now I will go through the first eight again to refresh my memory.   I also have the fingerstyle lessons to get through eventually!  

@rkl312 Glad to see you;ve recovered and are back playing again! Good idea to spend a bit of time going through the lessons to refresh your memory and get the muscles working again! Enjoy ?

• Member ID:  4
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  490
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Days Won:  65

19 hours ago, rkl312 said:

Welcome back!

• Member ID:  50
  • Content Count:  41
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  1
  • Device:  Android

I'm still studying.  I have been ill on and off since Oct. 2018 so my guitar playing has been pretty nil.  I do find a few minutes every now and then to play a few chords and surprisingly I still retain the speed and grips, especially for barres which shocked me. I remember how hard I worked to get basic and barre chords down.  I don't ever want to back slide so maintaining what I have is motivation for me to continue a little at a time. I hope to feel better soon.  I'm half way through the course right now.

Edited by Jusca
  • Like 1

• Member ID:  13
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  304
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  16
  • Birthday:  10/03/1947

Welcome back Jusca, I guess you could say that once the basics have been ingrained, "It's just like riding a bike".

Henk

• Like 2

• Member ID:  1
  • Group:  Administrators
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  95
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  428
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Days Won:  115
  • Birthday:  07/28/1966

6 hours ago, Jusca said:

I'm still studying.  I have been ill on and off since Oct. 2018 so my guitar playing has been pretty nil.  I do find a few minutes every now and then to play a few chords and surprisingly I still retain the speed and grips, especially for barres which shocked me. I remember how hard I worked to get basic and barre chords down.  I don't ever want to back slide so maintaining what I have is motivation for me to continue a little at a time. I hope to feel better soon.  I'm half way through the course right now.

Jusca,

It's great to see you again.  Yes, being sick can really limit your playing.  But, as you've seen, it doesn't take too many days of consistent effort to be back making progress again.

Glad you're back making music again!

- Steve

• Like 2

• Member ID:  221
  • Content Count:  41
  • Days Won:  0

I'm a Steve guy. I have pretty much all of the courses he has done. I've purchased many of the "monthly specials" that he's recommended as well from pedals and cables to song books and tools. I'm really trying to stay focused in one direction - "too many cooks in the kitchen spoil the soup". Whenever I've surfed the web and been tempted by other "learn this song" videos, I think to myself, if I just practiced a little more with LMG I could play this by myself without this video. It also feels a little bit like I'm cheating on Steve!

Steve has given so much to thiis community that I want to support him any way that I can. It's a small investment considering what I've gotten back from him and all of this that he gave life to. I want to see it continue and grow.

I'm on Session 4 - I've been here quite awhile but that's another story for another time. The point I want to make is that with all of the resources I've acquired from Steve, I have everything and I mean everything I need to become a real guitar player. Well, at least until he releases his next course......

Bill

• Like 4

• Member ID:  1,285
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  42

I struggled a lot with LMG. I don't know if it's because of how the course is laid out or if I just sucked. It became a lot easier when I added three additional courses. Together they filled in gaps and added points of view that made it possible for me to wrap it up.

I started L&M Guitar in 2009 and finished it in 2015. Granted I used other learning materials* on my journey, but still six years...

* Erich Andreas' - Your Guitar Sage
* Justing Sandercoe - Justing Guitar
* Michael Palmisano - Guitargate

Edited by Magnit
  • Like 1

• Member ID:  1,140
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  56
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Been working with the course since April 2018 and am going to start lesson 9 this month.....finally got through the barre chord lessons and nice to finally get them play pretty cleanly....still need to study the scales, keys and key signatures....hope that doesn’t prohibit me much in the next group of lessons.....so far enjoying the journey and looking forward to the next chapters in my guitar quest....

• Like 1

• Member ID:  335
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  1
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  01/13/1976

I started learning guitar in the second half of 2017 when I stumbled upon the LMG course. Even though I have gone through a lot in last one and half years I've practiced almost daily. I might have missed my practice at most 15-20 days last year, mostly due to travel. I'm on session 11 now.

Around mid-2018 I started the barre chords lessons. Even after few weeks I couldn't make it sound clean even though I could make the shapes fine. I knew it will take time, as Steve said numerous times. So I decided to move on to further sessions while keeping those practices on. I decided to skip the finger-picking session after practicing for few days. I hated the growing nails in my right hand which I use for eating (typical Indian habit?). I plan to try it some day with finger-attached picks of some kind, which they use in slide guitars here.

I know my LMG progress is slow, but I've kept learning something or the other. For example, I focused on improving my strumming last few months, with good help from some YouTube lessons by Pawan Jalan. He is great in breaking down any strumming pattern of Indian songs, making it very easy for beginners. He also showed the importance of using stress in some strokes. I've also learnt a lot from scores of Youtubers, some of them very good. I've also practiced singing along while strumming and I think I made decent progress on that.

So yeah, I'm still at it. I don't know when I will finish the course, this year or next. But it doesn't matter, learning is lifelong...

PS: Last month, during Christmas vacation, we drove with few family friends to a jungle resort and I carried my guitar. During the campfire barbecue I strummed few popular songs, I sang a few while others sang along in some songs. I played with mostly open chords and used capo to reach other scales avoiding barre chords. Everyone enjoyed and I was good enough to make my wife proud of me!☺️

• Like 5

• Member ID:  12
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  184
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  177
  • Birthday:  07/19/1948

2 hours ago, Jampot said:

PS: Last month, during Christmas vacation, we drove with few family friends to a jungle resort and I carried my guitar. During the campfire barbecue I strummed few popular songs, I sang a few while others sang along in some songs. I played with mostly open chords and used capo to reach other scales avoiding barre chords. Everyone enjoyed and I was good enough to make my wife proud of me!☺️

Very cool story Jampot!  Thanks for sharing that.  Sound like it was fun.

• 4 weeks later...

• Member ID:  1,268
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  15
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  08/09/1958

Hi all, I started With Gibson's L&M and am still using it, although I am now using other Materials now that I can read  little. I surpassed the goals I had set for myself when I first started but afterward have set more goals for myself. I definitely believe this is my best route and am very satisfied at my progress. My wife and biggest Fan and (also critic) tells me she is amazed at the progress I've made.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  340
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  6
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  01/02/1957

My husband bought this years ago and used it to start his guitar learning journey.  I started my own journey about 2 1/2 years ago but only started doing this in January of this year.   It has been a great program so far and I can tell I am making some real progress finally. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Sharont said:

My husband bought this years ago and used it to start his guitar learning journey.  I started my own journey about 2 1/2 years ago but only started doing this in January of this year.   It has been a great program so far and I can tell I am making some real progress finally. 

@Sharont Welcome to Guitar Gathering Sharon! That's great you've started the LMG program and your own guitar learning journey! We're here to help, support and encourage you. So check in often, and let us know how you're doing. And dont forget to join us on Live Lessons on our YouTube Guitar Gathering Channel. (you'll need to create an account there to participate in the chat)

All the Best!

NeilES335 - Moderator

• Like 1