Who Out There Is Studying the Learn and Master Guitar Program?

Who Out There Is Studying The Learn and Master Guitar Program? Poll...  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Learn and Master Guitar Student?

• I am studying the Learn and Master Guitar program by Steve Krenz. It is my main focus for learning guitar.
    • I once was studying the Learn and Master Guitar program but do not follow it any longer.
    • I would like to study guitar with the Learn and Master Guitar program.
    • I studied guitar with this program and completed the course.

• Member ID:  5
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,076
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  166
  • Device:  Windows

1 hour ago, CalgaryIan said:

Hi all. I started with the L&M program almost 10 years ago and got to around section 14. However I was derailed by a series of events including a broken wrist followed by some sprained fingers just as I was regaining enough wrist strength to play, and then life craziness with kids' activities and also realizing I was getting pretty out of shape and deciding to spend what used to be my guitar time on exercise.

Now that I'm mostly housebound for a while I figured it would be a good time to dust the guitars and DVDs off and start up again.

@CalgaryIanWelcome back Ian! Alway nice to have another Canadian on board. You made it further than most on this course, so with a little refreshing and practice you should be up to speed pretty quickly. 

Regards  Neil 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

• Member ID:  2,198
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I bought the program back in 2011 and it has literally sat and collected dust after a failed attempt. I've let excuses get in the way. I have started again with some extra motivation from the pandemic. I hope I can stay consistent and dedicated enough to complete this great course that Steve has made.

On lesson 3 now.

Be safe, everyone.

FTB

• Like 4

• Member ID:  1,285
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  42
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  3

I started the course back in 2009 and I recall finishing it around 2015, but then I used a lot of other material in parallel.

I sadly no longer own a DVD-player so I can't revisit the course. 

• Like 1

On 5/15/2019 at 2:38 PM, Karabo said:

I started this course around almost 3 years ago. I have just been struggling on the same sessions and hopefully this time around I will conquer them. Season 7 - 9 have been my brick wall. Id find myself doing them diligently for a few months and then I just switch off for some reason. When I come back, Im rusty as hell and then I have to start over back to session 7. I could use some encouragement on follwing it through. I really want to be a good guitar player.

Sessions 5-8 took years for me to handle. It's definitely doable. They were the hardest sessions in the course by far for me. In my case I would've been better off to just find a good teacher and have him/her figure out why my progress was so slow.

Anyway, I finally got there and today they're second nature. I currently try to make the 9 and 13-chords second nature or different voicings of 7-chords. There's still stuff to learn. On the good side, progress now is relatively quick. It's like my brain figured out how to persist guitar stuff.

Edit: Didn't see this was a post from last year. Doh!

Edited by Magnit
  • Like 2

• Member ID:  1,395
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  437
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Days Won:  34

Welcome @FTB23. What a great way to make use of the Lock Down! The L&M course is probably still the best beginner course on the market that you can own outright. I am so glad that I purchased it and followed it. There were times when I was frustrated because I felt like I was not making progress but now I see that by continuing to do it I was making progress. Keep your end goal in your head, go steady and you will get there. 🎸

• Like 3

• Member ID:  1,395
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  437
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Days Won:  34

@Magnit Congratulations on your successful guitar learning 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼 Most of us take years to complete the course and many of us have not yet completed it, myself included! I believe Steve Krenz later regretted putting the time frames on.

The course is available to purchase outright on Udemy but they made a separate course for the jam tracks and seem to have hidden it, hopefully  that situation will be resolved soon.

• Like 1

• Member ID:  273
  • Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  30
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  6

I have been re-using the L&M course booklet to learn to read music in 5th position. It's been a great resource for that purpose. I had completed most of the chapters  several years ago.

• Like 2

On 4/21/2020 at 9:16 AM, Nutty 1 said:

@Magnit Congratulations on your successful guitar learning 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼 Most of us take years to complete the course and many of us have not yet completed it, myself included! I believe Steve Krenz later regretted putting the time frames on.

The course is available to purchase outright on Udemy but they made a separate course for the jam tracks and seem to have hidden it, hopefully  that situation will be resolved soon.

Thank you :)

I'm currently using streamed material from  Truefire, books from Fundamental Changes and transcribing songs by ear on Spotify to further my skills.

• Like 1

• Member ID:  2,211
  • Content Count:  15

I started the Learn and Master Course about 7 years ago, but work and Life got in the way of me being diligent with it. Now that I am retired I have picked it up again. I plan to alternate the lessons with a variety of things I have found on YouTube. Especially with everything going on in the world....It's now or never.

• Like 1

• Member ID:  12
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  184
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  177
  • Birthday:  07/19/1948

@Linders, welcome back and good luck to you.  Keep us posted on your progress.

• Member ID:  2,211
  • Content Count:  15

Thank you, matonanjin!  I have a background in piano - which has expanded greatly since my first attempt at guitar.  I'm already seeing some flattening of the learning curve - and hope it continues. :)

• 2 months later...

• Member ID:  2,353
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  2

Another old guy who decided to finally learn to play guitar. A few months lessons as a kid, a few months in my 30's, got up to lesson 6 on L&M in my 40's, and now have used  pandemic time to forget the world and play guitar. I bought the course a long time ago when I had trouble finding an instructor for an adult beginner. Now I realize that while doing a course at your own pace risks stalling, it also prevents frustration with meeting deadlines. This time around the first 6 lessons went real fast, lesson 7 is new territory for me so the fun begins.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tomk2 said:

Another old guy who decided to finally learn to play guitar. A few months lessons as a kid, a few months in my 30's, got up to lesson 6 on L&M in my 40's, and now have used  pandemic time to forget the world and play guitar. I bought the course a long time ago when I had trouble finding an instructor for an adult beginner. Now I realize that while doing a course at your own pace risks stalling, it also prevents frustration with meeting deadlines. This time around the first 6 lessons went real fast, lesson 7 is new territory for me so the fun begins.

Welcome back to the course Tom! Check in here often,, ask questions, and make progress reports; there's lots of help here,

Don't forget to participate in Live Lessons on our YouTube Channel too,  Happy Tunes; Neil

• Like 1

• Member ID:  50
  • Content Count:  41
  • Days Won:  1
  • Device:  Android

I'm dipping back in again. I've been having fun figuring out songs by ear and goofing off.  I'd like to finish the course this year and that's entirely possible with a schedule I came up with.  I've learned a lot of this stuff presented will solidify over time so perfection in one session is not needed before moving on.

• Like 1

• Member ID:  2,195
  • Content Count:  1
  • Birthday:  06/20/1959

My wife, Tammy,  and I are using the course. I can say in all honesty that we're very pleased with our results. 

• Like 3

• Member ID:  1,324
  • Content Count:  19
  • Device:  Macintosh

I guess this is a good place to take my chance and come clean about the course.

I honestly cannot remember exactly when or how I came about the course, but I’m pretty sure it was before 2010. Maybe I was searching online for something that would help me develop my skills as a musician and guitarist. Along with sites like JamPlay and YouTube channels like JustinGuitar, I stumbled into the Legacy Learning Systems webpage and somehow, with a few more Google searches, I got to a torrent version of the course which I downloaded and kept on my hard drive.

I didn’t start the course right away, although I should have, and I postponed the studying for a number of reasons and excuses that I can’t remember today. Still, from what I recorded and according to the study plans I laid out, my first attempt at it was in November 2011, which got sidetracked mainly for the lack of a steady, defined quiet place to practice.

The months went by and on April 2014 I gave it another shot. I restarted the whole thing, finding it a lot easier to roll by the earlier lessons up to session 10, when again my practice space and time was disturbed a few months later, in July. And I fell off the wagon, once more.

Trying not to be discouraged and to hold myself accountable, I finally was able to order an original copy of the Homeschool Edition of the Gibson’s Learn and Master Guitar course on October 14th that same year. But because of customs control I only received it by the end of the year. Still, I did get an original copy of the course after so much time on a ripped internet version.

For some reason or another, I kept the newly bought course on hold, bought the Song Hits complementary course along the way and didn’t restart the studying then. In the meantime, parenthood happened in 2016 and my already wild time management got even wilder which lead me to only give it a third try by September 2019, keeping a strict record of the progress this time.

Again, I wanted to be able to do it properly, so I revised everything I had done on previous attempts. The first sessions were dealt with in a matter of a couple of months, and as I got into the theory exercises I started slowing down, although I’m pretty comfortable with chords and rhythm, since that’s what I’ve been doing for a living for the last 15 years.

Also, I decided to rearrange the course a little bit. With other materials I searched and found on the web (just until I can afford to buy the original ones), once I finished Session 9 and corresponding songs from the Song Hits, I started the Fingerstyle course for a more in depth instruction, instead of starting session 10 of the main course.

I finished the first session and moved into the second, but again, by the end of January this year, schedules got harder to manage and I put everything on hold again… You see the pattern and where it’s going… :(

I’m planning on taking a few steps back, once again, because I feel many of the skills I have are sloppy (one of the reasons that lead me to search for instruction in the first place) and I really want to get them right. It’s been a rollercoaster journey for me, but I really find a lot of value in all this content that Steve has put out there for us.

So I’ll restart and redo the course up to session 9 along with the corresponding Song Hits, move on to the first five sessions of the Fingerstyle Course until I can play Canon in D with confidence, then move to session 10 of the main course along with the Song Hits as a consolidation of the fingerstyle part, continue until session 12. Then move into the Blues Guitar Spotlight course and after that back to session 13 of the main course up to the last session and Song Hits tune. Only then will I be able to confidently say that I finished the Learn And Master Guitar Course. But I guess I have to start first… Again… 

And once I finish the course, I’ll tackle the remaining three lessons of the Fingerstyle course and see where I’ll go from there.

Edited by Joao Peneda
  • Like 1

• Member ID:  2,243
  • Content Count:  10
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/29/1965

@Joao Peneda Nice post. I think you are being too hard on yourself. Life happens, and we never not Wharton’s fate will bring us next week. I think the main question is “Are you having fun learning and playing guitar?” I find guitar very hard to learn — I’m only starting session 8 as I continue to struggle with chord transitions. I’m having a great time, though! 

I do think that completing L&M Guitar will let me do wonderful things. This isn’t the first instrument I’ve learned and having previewed the entire book, it’s phenomenal. But, completing all the sessions is secondary to enjoying the journey. Take your time, learn what you can when you can, and relax. 

• Thanks 1

• Member ID:  6
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,053
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  144
  • Birthday:  12/14/1960
  • Device:  iPhone

@Joao Peneda you do realize that Steve's Spot Light Series are separate disciplines on their own and not a requirement to work through L&MG. Which is more than big enough on its own.

the L&MG series was to give you (as Steve 'coins') "Tools for your Bag" , after giving all the basics and theory from Sessions 1 to 9,, Sessions 10 to 20 just add 'bites' of styles for you to explore.

doing the Finger Style course instead of Session 10, is going to be a fairly long road before coming back to LMG.

as is the Blues Guitar Spot Light, it's a chunk on it's own over and above the LMG sessions

The Song Hits is a companion to the LMG series which can be run alone side the LMG .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Member ID:  1,324
  • Content Count:  19
  • Device:  Macintosh

@Steve Goeringer
@Eracer_Team-DougH

Thank you so much for the encouraging words, Steve. I guess I may be aiming a bit too high and too hard for myself, but I believe I'll get there, as many others before me did. For quite some time, I have had a lot of fun singing and strumming the guitar (as I still do today), but not being able to express myself better through it is something that has been weighing on me for a long time. That's why I really want to get all of this to be done right and thoroughly. Because I really need to feel confident in what I'm doing in order not to think about it.

And that's also why I consider doing the spotlight series content before the respective L&MG course lessons, even though I'm fully aware of how big of a chunk both of them are, relative to those lessons. I do realize these are not requirements for the completion of the course, but I view them as a deeper dive into the concepts taught in the course. And I do want to dive deep, Doug. Namely into fingerstyle solo instrumental guitar and blues/rock soloing lead guitar.

Again, thank you both for the support and encouraging words. :) 

• Like 1

• Member ID:  1,753
  • Content Count:  3
  • Birthday:  05/21/1966
  • Device:  iPhone

I am still working on it but get side tracked with life. Lesson 12

• Like 1

• Member ID:  1,636
  • Birthday:  01/02/1964

Hello

I have been taking the course for a while and have just started session 9. I have spent a long time on barre chords and now feel confident about moving on. I can play great sounding barre chords with increasing speed and actually start sounding like something. A MAJOR milestone. Besides I have to justify having bought a new Gibson Studio Les Paul and Fender Twin Reverb tube amp a couple years ago. The tube amp sounds sooo good it is truly amazing. Amp is so powerful on 2 with guitar volume all the way up is Loud. Rambling sorry.

I give the course a double thumbs up it has been my sole resource for learning guitar. Steve is an excellent instructor and I have found if you keep practicing AND practicing you break thru and it’s a great feeling. I supplement the course with Hal Leonard Barre Chords now to branch out a bit. I have been a taker and not much of a giver with reading the many questions and answears from everyone. Please know that this has been helping me out immensely over the years. Thx everyone for sharing!!! One thing I’ve figured out about learning guitar, you gotta want it. Get Excited about learning guitar and make it happen. I’ve come too far to turn back now.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Cultosaurus said:

Hello

I have been taking the course for a while and have just started session 9. I have spent a long time on barre chords and now feel confident about moving on. I can play great sounding barre chords with increasing speed and actually start sounding like something. A MAJOR milestone. Besides I have to justify having bought a new Gibson Studio Les Paul and Fender Twin Reverb tube amp a couple years ago. The tube amp sounds sooo good it is truly amazing. Amp is so powerful on 2 with guitar volume all the way up is Loud. Rambling sorry.

I give the course a double thumbs up it has been my sole resource for learning guitar. Steve is an excellent instructor and I have found if you keep practicing AND practicing you break thru and it’s a great feeling. I supplement the course with Hal Leonard Barre Chords now to branch out a bit. I have been a taker and not much of a giver with reading the many questions and answears from everyone. Please know that this has been helping me out immensely over the years. Thx everyone for sharing!!! One thing I’ve figured out about learning guitar, you gotta want it. Get Excited about learning guitar and make it happen. I’ve come too far to turn back now.

@Cultosaurus Welcome to the Guitar Gathering forums! We're glad you're sharing your guitar learning journey with us. You're making great progess! Just follow the LMG lessons and keep at it and you'll do very well. The members here are more than willing to help, so feel free to ask any questions you may have.  Cheers; Neil

• 5 months later...

• Member ID:  2,554

Well, I'll necro this thread, as I'm about to give it another try. 

I bought the boxed set just as Gibson moved in, got a nice discount on the pre Gibson branded box, and tried to learn on a cheap acoustic my then wife bought me, that practically killed my fingers. Hadn't thought about setting up a guitar at that point.

I believe I was playing around at session 4 when I got a promotion at work and started to travel a lot and free time became scarce. The guitar and the course sat gathering dust as life took me through some tangled paths. 

Recently I grabbed and dusted off that guitar after another failed relationship and dug out the course. The guitar is still terrible.

After doing some 'serious' research I just popped it on top of my wardrobe and agreed to buy a Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plustop Pro from a guy up the road tomorrow, who has almost never used it, and a tiny old Gorilla practice amp he has, same exact amp as I had when I was a kid (thankfully no flying V this time :D ). 

Looking forward to reacquainting myself with Steve and his excellent course, I recall getting to the point I felt I was able to read music last time, this time I want to finish the course and feel comfortable playing.

Edited by JohnnyH

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  2,568
  • Content Count:  18

On 1/2/2021 at 9:15 PM, JohnnyH said:

Well, I'll necro this thread, as I'm about to give it another try. 

I bought the boxed set just as Gibson moved in, got a nice discount on the pre Gibson branded box, and tried to learn on a cheap acoustic my then wife bought me, that practically killed my fingers. Hadn't thought about setting up a guitar at that point.

I believe I was playing around at session 4 when I got a promotion at work and started to travel a lot and free time became scarce. The guitar and the course sat gathering dust as life took me through some tangled paths. 

Recently I grabbed and dusted off that guitar after another failed relationship and dug out the course. The guitar is still terrible.

After doing some 'serious' research I just popped it on top of my wardrobe and agreed to buy a Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plustop Pro from a guy up the road tomorrow, who has almost never used it, and a tiny old Gorilla practice amp he has, same exact amp as I had when I was a kid (thankfully no flying V this time :D ). 

Looking forward to reacquainting myself with Steve and his excellent course, I recall getting to the point I felt I was able to read music last time, this time I want to finish the course and feel comfortable playing.

How's it coming along JohnnyH? I also decided to get back to it. I started on January 1st and I will start session 3 today.

• Member ID:  2,583
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  21

I started guitar years ago off and on and never got far beyond simple open chords.  I’ve always wanted to really learn and I remember seeing this course years ago and just decided to get it. I’m looking forward to learning, but the usual doubt of “can I really do this?” is already creeping in haha.  I’m looking forward to the practice and trusting the process and we’ll see where I am a year or more from now.