What are the basic things to do to care for your acoustic guitar?

• Member ID:  1,340
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  13
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/17/1994

This is not something I am too familiar with. I mean yeah, I change the strings every now and then, make sure its stored at room temprature, make sure I don't knock it about too much. Apart from that though I don't do much else, and I'm sure there are other things to keep it in tip top condition.

Things that will help its tuning and intonation stay at a healthy state for a longer period of time! Thats the main problem with my guitar. Its not very noticeable, however it is there I think. 

• Member ID:  5
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,077
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  166
  • Device:  Android

2 hours ago, MisterLutherMan said:

This is not something I am too familiar with. I mean yeah, I change the strings every now and then, make sure its stored at room temprature, make sure I don't knock it about too much. Apart from that though I don't do much else, and I'm sure there are other things to keep it in tip top condition.

Things that will help its tuning and intonation stay at a healthy state for a longer period of time! Thats the main problem with my guitar. Its not very noticeable, however it is there I think. 

Probably the guitar's worst enemy (besides outright negect or abuse) is dryness. If you keep your guitar out , insure that the room humidity is at least 40 - 50%. If not or its winter in a cold climate you're best to store it in the case with a humidifier device like Oasis or D'Addario Humidipaks (what I do). Just regular cleaning and polishing helps a lot. The occasional professional set up will enhance its playability and spot any issues. And remember to wash and dry your hands before you play.

• Like 1

• Member ID:  146
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  243
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  19
  • Device:  Macintosh

3 hours ago, MisterLutherMan said:

Things that will help its tuning and intonation stay at a healthy state for a longer period of time! Thats the main problem with my guitar.

If you put your guitar in its case and never open the case it will stay in tune much longer. Guitars are made to be played (that's the motto of Guild guitars) and learning to tune them is a skill that needs lots of repetition to get a good ear for it.

Also, in addition to Neil's comments about humidity, I believe the worst thing you can do to a guitar is for it to have a rapid change of temperature. Two examples would be leaving a guitar in a car and taking a guitar from a heated house out into the cold December weather for carol singing - but I guess the latter depends on where in the world you are and what the Christmas weather is like for you.

• Like 1

• Member ID:  81
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  73
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  05/16/1958
  • Device:  Windows

Music Student 101 covers this in their latest podcast.

57-Instrument Care Pt.1 (Strings)

10 hours ago, NeilES335 said:

Probably the guitar's worst enemy (besides outright negect or abuse) is dryness. If you keep your guitar out , insure that the room humidity is at least 40 - 50%. If not or its winter in a cold climate you're best to store it in the case with a humidifier device like Oasis or D'Addario Humidipaks (what I do). Just regular cleaning and polishing helps a lot. The occasional professional set up will enhance its playability and spot any issues. And remember to wash and dry your hands before you play.

And we should mention our Guitar Gathering friend and "Guitar Tech to the Stars" Greg Voros, head of the repair department at "The Legendary Gruhn's Guitars of Nashville", and the video course he put out ,  https://www.learnandmaster.com/spotlight-series/guitar-maintenance/    This is a very comprehensive guide on the subject which contains a wealth easy to follow information. 

Or, if you like free stuff (like me) you can watch Greg give a 1 hour talk on the subject if Flat top Set Up at the 2016 Guitar Gathering.

guitar-maintenance_header_rlg.jpg

• Like 1

• Member ID:  72
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  126
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  3

Great info by all.. One thing I always do too, wipe it down with a good guitar soft rag strings, and wood after every use. I have had solid wood guitars and laminated Washburn's over 20 years and all still look new. 

• Like 2

• Member ID:  13
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  304
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  16
  • Birthday:  10/03/1947

Agree with Neil about washing your hands before you play. Takes only 30 seconds and in my mind is the number 1 reason why the strings last longer. Plus it keeps the hand oils off those nice guitar finishes.

Henk

• Like 2

• Member ID:  243
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  541
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  64

You need to make sure the guitar isn't too dry (crack), or wet (expands). Keeping it in the case is safest. Humidpak is good. A whole house or room humidifier to keep humidity 45%-55% in the winter. A/C in the summer to reduce humidity.

I recommend Greg Voros Setup & Maintenance DVD to give you the knowledge you need.

Change your strings, and clean the guitar at the same time. Use a good guitar polish. Buy a guitar polishing cloth. Learn to adjust your truss rod so you can do it yourself from time to time. Use Nut Juice to lubricate the nut and keep your strings moving smoothly. If you have a Rosewood or Ebony neck you should use fretboard conditioner once or twice a year during string change. Maple (finished) necks do not need fretboard conditioner (clean only). Tighten all the screws and nuts to make sure they are firmly seated. 

Acoustic guitars mainly adjust themselves. The occasional small truss rod adjustment is the only real change needed. The rest is just keeping it clean with good strings. Wipe it down after each session, and enjoy. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Oldjock said:

Agree with Neil about washing your hands before you play. Takes only 30 seconds and in my mind is the number 1 reason why the strings last longer. Plus it keeps the hand oils off those nice guitar finishes.

Henk

Besides , who wamts to play an instrument with a bunch of gunk on it?  I dont even like it dusty??!

• Like 1

• Member ID:  1,373
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  24
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  1

A note on humidity and tuning: a guitar neck is basically a hygrometer, two dissimilar woods laminated together. When the humidity changes, the hygrometer moves, like a pointer, and your guitar neck is the pointer.  The strings will stay in tune relative to one another, but the entire pitch will change with humidity- guaranteed.  Add to this that an unfinished fingerboard will absorb and donate moisture to the air a two a different rate than the finished neck.  A guitar builder buddy of mine posted a pic on FB of a hygrometer he made for his shop. He made it from 2 strips of scrap wood,  mahogany and rosewood from a  finger board, simply gluing the strips together. His hygrometer was about 25"  long (surprise).  It would move back and forth several inches, like a pointer, when the humidity in his shop changed. I was thinking about the possibility of measuring humidity by measuring the change of pitch in my guitar when it dawned on me, The neck indeed is a hygrometer, just like the one Bryan made for his shop!

• Like 1