• Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  83
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  01/18/1943

HI,
Here is my 2019 guitar calendar.  One trip to Walmart and a little time.  I bought 3 of the sticky hangers that go on your wall (I put mine on a cork board).  I then got a package of plastic sheet protectors … which I filled with my favorite pictures.  Back home I went on the web and found several different 2019 calendar templates and downloaded a couple that I liked.  Next I got some small picture frame wire that I could hang from the sticky hooks … long enough so I could see the calendar at the bottom of the picture.  The thing that is neat is I can use all my favorite pictures and change them as I desire … rather than waiting for the end of the month.  Plus I have more than the 12 pictures which is limited by a standard calendar.  I can also get at the calendar very easily to mark dates and leave notes.

• Member ID:  78
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  83
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  01/18/1943

THE NEW ELECTRONIC GUITARIST

Marty Cutler

Hal Leonard Books, New Jersey, 2017

ISBN: 978-1-4950-4745-9

211 pages + on-line media

Amazon

$9 - $20

What the heck did I get into??   Now I guess MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface) guitars and synthesizers have been around for over 30 years, but since I am an old conservative guitar player I never paid much attention to them.  And I am sure to many of you it is your thing.  Anyhow, I want to know all I can about the guitar so that means stretching to the future as well as going back in the past.

This is a very interesting book about sound, the guitar and everything you can do when you place a computer in between the two.  Elliott Randall (Guitarist for Saturday Night Live) made the following comments about the book …”This a wonderful grab bag of musical knowledge.”  He adds, “It is desired to demystify and share exciting areas where many guitarists have yet to tread … I would call this a must-read.”  I must agree with Randall I have yet to run across another guitar book such as this one.

As usual let me present the massive contents of the book and then I will make my comments.

Foreword

Acknowledgements

Introduction: Guitar Meets Computer

Chapter I … GUITARS, SOUND, AND SYNTHESIS

What Is Sound?

Pitch, Timbre, and Loudness

Timbre!

A Disturbance in the Force

The Body Electric

Start Here

Chapter 2 … WHAT’S A MIDI

Before MIDI

Along Came MIDI

How MIDI Works

MIDI Signal Flow

Control Changes

The Bends

You’re in My System

Guitars and MIDI

MIDI aLa Mode

Poly or Mono?

Chapter 3  GUITAR MEETS MIDI

Converting to MIDI

Why Wait?

First out of the Gate

Careful with That Axe

Axon

Chapter 4   WHAT IS A SYNTHESIZER?

Subtractive Synthesis

Subtractive Synthesis in a Nutshell

Your Basic Waveform

Filters

Amplifiers

The Envelope, Please

Key Follow and Velocity

Everything in Modulation

Additive Synthesis

Digital FM Synthesis

Samplers, Sample Playback, Wavetables

Modeling

Chapter 5  Guitar Controllers and Midi Converters

Around the Bend

Not for Synthesizers only

Reading a Midi Implementation Chart

Currently Available MIDI Guitar Systems and Components

How Do Computers Fit In?

Guitar-Processing Software

Editor-Librarian Software

Take Note

Chapter 6  THIS YEARS MODEL

Why Physical Modeling?

Roland GR-55

Boss GP-10

Boss SY-300

Line 6 Variax

Soft Sell

Chapter 7 GUITAR PROCESSORS

A Child’s Garden of Effects

Multi-Effects

Fractal Audio Axe Fx II XL

Line 6 Helix

Signal Flow

Native Instruments’ Guitar Rig

Now, About Those Presets

IK Multimedia Amplitube Acoustic

Chapter 8 WHAT IS A SEQUENCER?

Proto-Sequencers

How Do Sequencers Work?

Ableton Live (Mac, Win)

MOTU Digital Performer (Mac, Win)

Apple Logic Pro X (Mac)

Steinberg Cubase Pro (Mac, Win)

Presonus Studio One Pro 3 (Mac, Win)

Propellerhead Reason (Mac, Win)

Avid Pro Tools (Mac, Win)

Take Your Pick

Chapter 9  PLUG-INS AND SOFTWARE INSTRUMENTS

Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2

Arturia Matrix-12 V

Guitar Multitudes

Native Instruments’ Kontakt

Art and Architecture

Native Instruments’ FM8

Lin Plug Spectral

Korg Legacy M1

Chapter 10  GUITAR VERSUS SYNTH: WHO’S IN CHARGE HERE?

Envelopes Rule

Chapter 11  COMPOSING WITH A MIDI GUITAR

Virtually Bluegrass?

Singular Saxophony

Chords: Guitar versus Keyboard

Making the Pitch

Chapter 12  OTHER MIDI GUITAR APPLICATION

Practice, Practice

Take Note

The Global Studio

Virtual Virtuosos

Chapter 13 OUTFITTING YOUR COMPUTER FOR GUITAR

Interfaces

Chapter 14  GOING LIVE

A Brief Pep Talk of Sorts

Amplitude Adjustment

Chapter 15  TIPS AND TRICKS

Express Yourself

Small Consolation

Set Phasers to Stun

Setting up a Multitimbral Track in DP

Chapter 16  TROUBLESHOOTING

It’s a Hardware Issue

It’s a Software Issue

Latency

Appendix A: CONTROL CHANGE MESSAGES (DATA BYTES)

Appendix B: USEFUL WEBSITES FOR THE ELECTRONIC GUITARIST

Appendix ? Bonus Audio Files

Glossary

Whew, that is a long list but the book is comprehensive!!!  This book was not what I expected when I bought it, but I am glad I read it.  It is probably not the way I will go with my guitar, but I am glad to have the knowledge.

This book was published in 2017 and it dated the start of MIDI as being over 30 years old and I really felt behind in the times, but Marty Cutler did and excellent job of spanning those years and placing the reader at the front of a new door to open.  This is not unlike the movement of the old 5 and 7 string guitars giving way to the 6 string format.

Cutler states …”my smartphone and iPad are brimming with guitar-processor software and even an app that converts a normal guitar to a MIDI controller to play those synthesizers.”  He continues … “Computers, tablets, iPads and smartphones have taken the stage, enhancing and even replacing stomp boxes and entire guitar rigs.”  “For those who are willing to dig a little deeper, the digital-guitar connection opens doors to a truly mind-boggling wealth of new tone colors, rhythms, compositional and learning tools, collaboration, and so much more,  It’s the intentions of this book to lay out the scope of current and emerging digital technology, which can enhance the guitarist’s creativity in so many ways.”  I believe Marty has done just that … this is a must read for anyone who wants to be challenged by the future of a fantastic instrument.  You will, all the more, appreciate the complexity and the power of the guitar once you complete this book.  If you are new to the guitar and the use of a computer don’t worry this book is designed to walk you through the uniting process. Great read!!

I did check at the college where I am doing my music studies about taking some courses in MIDI, but I was told even though they have a formal course in music technology that since I was interested solely in the guitar I would be better off going to my local guitar store and have them show me what is currently being sold and to try out several different pieces of software.  And then if I had any general questions they could help me with … come back.  I am sure there are quite a few people in “Guitar Gathers” who can also answer any questions you may have … that is the neat thing about this group that Steve has assembled.

Don’t put away your techie minds … next month I will look at Guitar Engineering: Theory and Practice by Ricard Mark French.

Well once again I set this aside to go study and practice.  I have my formal courses in music theory and guitar and more course work found in the multiple programs Steve has produced to keep me busy.  I always learn so much as a student … the only way you learn more is by being a teacher.  Have a great month and go read a book in between practicing.   Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Oh I have attached couple interesting downloads demonstrating the guitar and synthesizer.

NOV. 2018 BOOK REVIEW THE NEW ELECTRONIC GUITARIST.pages