• Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  144
  • Birthday:  12/14/1960
  • Device:  iPhone

@Matt_B you can do it. 

Don't worry about the Master part in the title of the course, 

Session 1 and 1b is just to get your hands moving , don't spend more than 2 weeks on session 1 and 1b

Session 2 is where your journey begins. 

It's all part of Steve's master plan, of play, learn the notes, learn the theory., get better than just watching YouTube riffs

There's still lots of great knowledgeable players here, that are able to help with questions. 

Just a side note,  there are a couple of mistakes in the TAB in the lower sessions,  try to read the music as presented,  it will pay off

In my signature line there's a Words of Guitar Wisdom.. full of QA over time, it's a good browse 

• Member ID:  9
  • Group:  Moderators
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  813
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Achievement Points:  1
  • Days Won:  209
  • Birthday:  01/01/1953
  • Device:  Macintosh

@Matt_B Welcome to the course and the discussion board! Yes, when you first open that lesson book and consider all that's ahead, it can seem overwhelming. But you will be making enjoyable music quite soon. Make full use of all the advice here (see Doug's link above), at least the parts that speak to you. Here is some of the best I've read. Whatever difficulty you might encounter, it won't be new — someone here will have met the dragon before and can help you conquer it. I collected a few other resources here that might be useful as you progress. Happy practice!

• Member ID:  243
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  541
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  64
  • Device:  Windows

@Matt_B You have at least a couple years of material. The time estimates are just that. You are not in a race. You can complete the course on your own timetable. Practice and play every day. Learn to play songs with your new skills. Be relentless! Play like you mean it! 

• Member ID:  3,308
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  3
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

@Eracer_Team-DougH Which session are the mistakes in? I don't want to mess up and do the wrong thing.

Thank you everyone for the encouragement.

• Member ID:  6
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,053
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  144
  • Birthday:  12/14/1960
  • Device:  iPhone

@Matt_B nothing to get wrong, it's all good don't worry 

Steve teaches music reading right from the start, 

If you read the music notes then look at the tab you'll spot it. Not a big deal 

TAB was put in the early lessons as its just another way guitar notes can be taught and some people like working with TAB. Its drops away quickly.

But Steve prefers us the read music., best to work with the music reading 

After a while you'll work with both. 

TAB does come back in Finger Style session 10 but by then you'll be a pretty good player 

@Matt_B  Relax. I can not find any errors in the tablature in my lesson book through Session 10, and it's a first edition (possibly 9th printing). It's possible I missed something, but it's unlikely because I made lots of pencil annotations, such as note names, and I would have corrected an error if I found one. My Bonus Resources book is version 1.2, and it's possible some typos were in the earlier printings of that. The only hiccup I corrected was p. 35, exercise 6: it should read "Key Signature = G" (not F#), and that's trivial. On p. 98 of the Bonus Resources book, Steve refers to typos in the tab of Canon in D in the Lesson Book, but both of mine match exactly, so those typos must have been in an earlier printing.

• Member ID:  3,308
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  3
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Well I practiced session 1 Wednesday and had a fun time, but yesterday I was to busy and  too tired from my job that I didn't practice at all. This is not a good start to begin with. Does anyone have any good idea's to help me get to it and practice better? I really want to get going with this practice correctly.

@Eracer_Team-DougH

@DianeB

I will keep this in mind

@Matt_B Hi, Matt, it happens. Life will always be there. Be kind to yourself and keep your expectations modest. Over the years the discussion board has accumulated (and Doug collated) a mountain of good advice that you can refer to as you need. But here in the beginning, I suggest you identify a small window of time in each day, 10 to 30 minutes, that will be free of distractions, in which you can focus on music. An appointment with yourself, every day, same time. No excuses. Steve explains here.

If possible, it should have something of each of these four elements: (1) warm up, (2) skills, (3) songs, and (4) exploration. At first, it will mostly 1 and 2 and a bit of 4. Your finger tips might get sore, especially on a steel string acoustic. Don't practice with pain; your finger tips will gradually toughen and your endurance will grow.

Have your guitar professionally set up, even if it is new, to ensure its maximum playability and proper intonation.

The best advice on music practice I've found has been distilled into a delightful little volume by guitar instructor Tom Heany, "First, Learn to Practice". This and related books appear in my Reading List. Lesson 1: Enjoy your practice!

• Like 1