WHAT'S GOING ON THIS MONTH
  • This Month's Live Streaming Guitar Lessons: TUESDAY AUGUST 6TH - USING CHORD TONES AS SEEDS FOR SOLOING. Improvising can be intimidating - but here's a simple trick you can use to spark soloing ideas. By using the chord tones, you can create simple "seed" ideas that can be expandaded into much larger musical ideas. TUESDAY AUGUST 20TH - BEING A SINGER/SONGWRITER WITH ROB HARRIS. Ever dreamed of playing your own songs at a songwriters night? or perhaps playing guitar at a local restaurant? Rob Harris is a master of this and he will be dropping by to talk about crafting your own songs and building gigs. SPECIAL EVENT: MONDAY AUGUST 26TH - THE BOUTIQUE GUITAR SHOWCASE. These are some of the rarest and fascinating instruments in the world. We'll be showing these amazing instruments live from Gruhn Guitars in Nashville Tennessee. Watch LIVE on our Guitar Gathering YouTube Channel. It's going to be a great month! Learn all you can!
Sign in to follow this  
NeilES335

Session 4 - Eight Notes

1 hour ago, Yggdrasilium said:

I bought myself a metronome (Cherub WSM-240 is the brand and model name) some days ago and I've been working on those tricky exercises in the bonus workshop for session 3 (the ones with the headline of "Ties, dots and rests"). I mentioned earlier that I was having some difficulty keeping the rhythm when quarter and eight rests appears, often in combination with dotted notes.

Well, I have to say that with the metronome I finally got it right!

It's strange, but for some reason I was making the note ring for a shorter duration instead of longer in some cases, if that makes sense. It really threw me off, because I felt that I wasn't playing to the correct rhythm, but couldn't figure out exactly what I was doing wrong. Alright, I learned something new today as well. ?

Thanks for the recommendation!

Your on the right track! Great!  I confess I didnt use a 'nome for a long time, (I still have to remember to get it going) I think I have pretty good "internal timing" , but using the 'nome recently sharpens up your tempo.

A side benefit of using Reaper DAW to practice with, is the Metronome feature, which will play along with you in record or playback mode. I found this challenging yet very helpful to get the timing just right.

• Thanks 2

On 1/20/2019 at 8:37 AM, Eracer_Team-DougH said:

@Funkcanna doing well with Minuet in C.. remember it's a Waltz type of song so it has a bit swing to it

1/4, 1/8-1/8, 1/8-1/8 per measure almost a triplet .. spoken like tr-pl-et,, 

Well actually,    first beat is longer, than the rest;  so trp-ll-et

as Neil says.. Session 4 is a very good time to break out the metronome .. yeah I rarely use one.. but you'll need it for future recordings once you get the multitrack recordings like the other members put together in the 'Recording Challenge' Section

Yes this is where I introduced myself to the Nome on a more consistent basis. I hated it at first but like with everything else in this journey the 3 P's are a virtue. I can say it surely helped me out especially where the rests come in too play.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2019 at 7:47 AM, Funkcanna said:

I agree.  I went back to earlier lessons and they were a breeze after session 4 and not even attempting the earlier ones for a while.  

If anyone is interested ive decided to post vids of the sessions.  I know it really helped me seeing people play these on youtube.  Its definitely far from perfect obviously but I thnk im happy for being 3 weeks into the course (2 of which have been spent solely on session4!!) 100% open to feedback!

Funkcanna, That is a Great Job. It appears you are doing very well in a short period of time, keep up the Good Work. I would say Relax and take your time, obviously you are not having any trouble Retaining the Information so just make sure you go thru the Bonus Workshop Manual and when you are comfortable with that material, move along to the next session. Keep us Updated, and Your Video Quality is Top Notch also.

Posted (edited)

Funkcanna: In answer to your question "What is swing?" I'm a guitar beginner like you (lesson 3), but I'm an experienced djembe and dunun drum player in the West African Mande tradition. When we use our priceless metronomes (regardless of beats per minute) and play in exact time with the beep, click or light, we are playing the music "straight" or "on the beat." We can crowd the notes by playing slightly earlier, or "ahead of the beat." This gives the music more drive, more energy. Makes you want to get up and dance. We are still in time, but there is wiggle room there. Music is a touchy feelie creation. We can slightly delay the note and play "behind the beat." This makes the music feel relaxing. Different combinations of this create "swing," a lovely feel.

If we go too far either way we are early or late, provoking disapproval from fellow performers and listeners. :-)

One interesting effect is when multiple instrumental parts played "straight" combine to form the feeling of swing. This happens a lot with West African polyrhythms. I look forward to exploring this effect in guitar music. I don't have formal musical training, so I don't know correct terminology. However, I can make a rhythm shwang! Hope this helps. We are early in our guitar journey for making music swing, but as Steve and the rest say, we will get there!

Edited by pkotof
corrected terminology to ahead of beat and behind the beat
  • Like 1

Hi All, 

I tested myself today and feel pretty ready to start session 4 today, after a return to practicing for about 2 weeks after a month or so of slacking off.  I've been doing some reading in the forum and understand that I need to split this session up.  I actually have a question about resources though.  I've obtained the first book in the Hal Leonard series that Mr. Krenz recommends, and I have also been working from the Song Hits (of which I am on session 3).  I feel like I have a lot of material to work from now and want to go through it all at once, but know that's not realistic, yet I always feel that I am practicing one song at the expense of another.  Has anyone else had a similar experience?

5 hours ago, costancr said:

Hi All, 

I tested myself today and feel pretty ready to start session 4 today, after a return to practicing for about 2 weeks after a month or so of slacking off.  I've been doing some reading in the forum and understand that I need to split this session up.  I actually have a question about resources though.  I've obtained the first book in the Hal Leonard series that Mr. Krenz recommends, and I have also been working from the Song Hits (of which I am on session 3).  I feel like I have a lot of material to work from now and want to go through it all at once, but know that's not realistic, yet I always feel that I am practicing one song at the expense of another.  Has anyone else had a similar experience?

@costancr Yes, I often have the same feeling. While working on blues and rock resources these days, I would also like to be working on fingerstyle. And there are so many songs and solo's waiting for me to learn...

The way I deal with this is by setting long time goals. After finishing L&M Guitar last year, I planned to take about a year to learn blues and rock. That should take me to August 2019. For fingerstyle, I plan about 18 months, so that will take me to the beginning of 2021.

It's a rough plan, and I mostly underestimate the time required to learn something. But the long term perspective helps me focus and deal with the feeling that I should be working on all those resources at the same time.

Wim.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, costancr said:

Hi All, 

Its tempting to work on several things at once. However at your stage I recommend you stick to mostly the course material and maybe Song Hits or the Hal Leonard book. That is plenty. S4 as I recall is a big session which could keep you occupied for a while (several weeks of maybe months) Dont overextend yourself. Keep it simple and you will come out ahead in the end.

• Like 2

@NeilES335 @Wim VD1  Thank you for the responses!  I think my current plan is to continue on with the course as normal and practice the song hits thoroughly, especially since I haven't started on chords in the Learn and Master Guitar course.  Since the first batch of songs in the Hal Leonard book seem to be somewhat simple I'll use that as sight-reading practice.  

• Like 3

Hi Constancr. I'm with you in Session 4. I read your other post about taking time off and maybe moving into the sharps and flats. Yahoo! Time off is essential! I've been at Session 4 since July 21st. It's challenging! I'm working with the metronome in the lesson book and slogging through the bonus material. Once I'm using the metronome I know it's just a matter of time. So far I don't feel the need to split the session in two.

I stayed in Session 3 a long time. I don't care about a timeline. I want to learn the material. First I wanted to get my sound to where I liked it while learning the fretboard and I was worried about the chords and especially barre chords. (I've talked with a number of folks who quit playing guitar when they came upon barre chords.) So I spent many hours on warm ups followed by chord work. I expanded the exercises to using the open strings up to the fifth fret, added exercises and made sure to start from both ends. Eventually I was naming all frets including sharps and flats as I played them, when finally I decided to get on with things. A side effect was a strong pinky and the sharps and flats don't befuddle me mentally.

By that time i had learned all the open chords and could with difficulty do the F barre chord in lesson 7. Now for a break I sometimes play with the F and slide it and the B major chord (the most awkward feeling chord for me so far). My "side work" was to look ahead at Steve's instruction--especially for the barre chords--and work on physical limitations and memorization, rather than studying other material. This is really paying off now, although who knows? I may take a long time anyway. This Session 4 stuff is intense. Good stuff. Just sharing in case it might help somebody.

Another thing that helped me finish off Session 3 was following Steve's advice (you are a fine instructor Steve!), starting at lesson 2 and just playing everything, rippng through it 100 bpm or as fast as possible using the metronome and continuing through the new material eventually with the metronome through mistakes and oops moves. For me that gives me more "miles on the strings" and balances out my tendency to focus on one section until pristine.

Rock on!

• Like 3