• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  11
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Getting pretty comfortable with doing 3rds and 6ths but with 10ths I find it somewhat awkward to use the index on the root note and ring/pinkie as I believe Steve does in the video.

For the 5th string I find that using my 2nd finger on the root and pinkie on the 10th is more comfortable (on the root note). Then when the interval is one fret shorter I find it easiest to use the same two fingers (2nd and pinkie) but just have them 1 fret apart rather than 2. I've been using this for example in Blackbird chorus as it feels a lot easier. 

Is this bad form or does it largely not matter?

• 1 month later...

• Member ID:  223
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  362
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  538
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  29
  • Device:  Macintosh

I’ve looked at some other instructors teaching 10ths and one mentioned using whatever fingers you wanted. He personally used  the same fingering as Steve for his lesson as did the others I viewed. I find your method uncomfortable and difficult, but then I’ am using some pretty old hands. 

Also, I found that learning the intro for  the song “El Paso” by Marty Robbins was a fun way of practicing  3rds. Plus, the song uses a minor third tremolo. Goggle “Musicnotes and El Paso”.

Edited by Triple-o