• Content Count:  528
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  09/26/1951
  • Device:  iPhone

20 hours ago, Curtis said:

I've registered for the summer event.  I've never been.  In fact, I've rarely been out of my home studio to play.  I've been working through the Learn and Master Guitar course that Steve put together and I'm on the Jazz lesson.  I've been working on it for a bit over 2 years.  I am really nervous.  I still consider myself a beginner, but I think that this conference will help me to get out of my shell....even if I do suck....hahaha!!!  I'm pretty excited!

Hey Curtis, another Washingtonian here. Looking forward to meeting you in Nashville. It will be fun. 

Greg

• Like 1

• Member ID:  275
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  213
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  11
  • Birthday:  07/17/1979
  • Device:  Macintosh

On 12/28/2018 at 6:34 AM, IanD said:

Great news Curtis. There's no need to be nervous, I'm sure there'll be all levels there and the folks will be great and supportive.

Ian

This is absolutely true! There’s no worry about being at any skill level, we are all on the same path and this is the most encouraging and supportive group ever.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  1,605
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  4
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

All signed up and staying in the dorm.

Are the dorms air conditioned? 

• Member ID:  5
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,076
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  166
  • Device:  Windows

@Victor Edwards Welcome to Guitar Gathering Victor! What a great way to meet the family!  Perhaps you'd like to visit our New Members area and tell us a bit about yourself and your guitar learning journey.

Don't forget to join us on Live Lessons on our Guitar Gathering YouTube Channel!

NeilES335 - moderator 

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  1,577
  • Content Count:  1

Hey - anyone know if the dorm rooms when staying on campus are single occupancy or shared rooms? $60 is a pretty good deal!

• Member ID:  5
  • Content Count:  1,076
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  166

10 minutes ago, Deviazione said:

Hey - anyone know if the dorm rooms when staying on campus are single occupancy or shared rooms? $60 is a pretty good deal!

Shared rooms;

@colder posted this; 

The doom rooms are typical dorm rooms - two beds in each room and an attached bathroom which is shared with the adjoining room. There is a sink and a mirror in each room. There was also some basic dorm furniture like dressers, a desk and a chair, twin size bed, and a closet. They provide bedding, but if you're particular about it you might want to bring a blanket and a pillow with you. 
I think last year there was enough space so that everyone had their own room, but I'm not sure how it will work out this coming year.Last year the ladies were all on their own floor, with the men on a different floor. 

Edited December 17, 2018 by colder

• Member ID:  1,605

What is name and phone number of the best person to talk to about this gathering?

• Member ID:  12
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  184
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  177
  • Birthday:  07/19/1948

1 hour ago, Victor Edwards said:

What is name and phone number of the best person to talk to about this gathering?

Victor, I would send Steve a PM.  That would be the best way.

• 1 month later...

• Member ID:  896

So, I have a question that maybe you all could answer for me.  What guitar should I bring?  If electric, do I need to bring an amp?  Can anyone give me some key hints to pay attention to when flying with my guitar?  I've never flown with one before.

• Member ID:  9
  • Group:  Moderators
  • Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  813
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Achievement Points:  1
  • Days Won:  209
  • Birthday:  01/01/1953

@Curtis, I think an acoustic is probably a better choice for the workshops and lessons. In the main room, there may be as many as 80 guitars going off at once during workshops, and you will need to carry your guitar around to the smaller classrooms. The main room has amps and a full PA system for those who want to play their electric in the student showcase. No need to bring a music stand, Trevecca has them, but Steve does carry a dandy collapsible stand in his store.

One accessory I recommend is a collapsible guitar stand like the Cooperstand.

A year or two ago in a live lesson Steve discussed his experiences flying with his guitar. I wish I could recall the exact lesson; maybe someone else can. I do remember two points he made: leave your really good guitars at home, and get a tough hard case. Here are some other thoughts on the subject.

And here's my post from last year for first timers.

Edited by DianeB
  • Like 1

• Member ID:  6
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  1,053
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  144
  • Birthday:  12/14/1960

@Curtis I flew once and it was to Nashville Guitar Gathering. 

be 100% ready to put it in the luggage hold.. that means you should be using a hard case not a gig bag if you want it in one piece.

tune the guitar down 1 whole step before heading to the airport.

now you have a hard case, a carry on bag, a suite case, guitar(s), amps, etc. how do you carry all that and airlines charge per pound for extra. 

so yes acoustic is probably going to be your only choice if flying as all the gear costs$$. 

I found this company http://www.backaxe.com/ it adds straps to your hard case so you can carry it like a gig bag and still have hands free for carry on and suite case.

the way down I was on 1 plane, my case was 2" too thick for the overhead (using a Godin TRIC foam case so they're a lot thicker). so the flight attendant headed to the luggage guy at the door. on the other end the luggage guy said he loved my case. 

on the way back we had a layover, the plane was just a bit bigger and the guitar fit in overhead, and I finally lucked out and got an overhead that was in like row B not where I always am in row ZZ.

the security guys x-ray the case to see what's inside.

overall I had a pretty good experience flying with a guitar.. if you wanted a 2nd guitar (electric), amp, etc. you'll be paying for the poundage and you'll need to figure out how to carry it all with only 2 hands, as the person you're flying with will probably have their hands full too and no room to carry your guitar.

• Like 2

• Member ID:  157
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  278
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/13/1955

A point to add:  Several members have given Southwest Airlines a thumbs-up on being "guitar" friendly in the past.

Bryan

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all! Been a busy couple of weeks for me! Glad to be back!

Regarding the questions above, from Gathering experiences - 

@Deviazione, the dorm housing consists of very basic dorm room accommodations, with a bathroom shared between two rooms. But for what hotels generally cost in Nashville, it is indeed a great deal, plus you get to hang out with your Gathering friends :) It's also convenient because the dorm is right across the street from the building where the Gathering happens. There's no television or any furniture really beyond the bed, a chair, a desk, etc., but there is free Wifi that worked well.

I would also mention that we all got lunch together on campus every day, it's a short walk across campus, but for dinner you're on your own. Generally people went to visit local spots in groups, or we walked down to the Subway at the edge of campus!

@Curtis, almost everyone there brought an acoustic. I actually brought two acoustics, because I wanted to have them both set up by Greg Voros!

I am toying with the idea of bringing an electric this year because I'm mostly an electric player. I'd feel better about traveling with an electric in general, too, since they can take more abuse! 

The only issue with that is the matter of the amp. You could certainly carry a small amp around with you during the day, but it would need to be battery powered, since some of the rooms are larger and finding a power outlet might be an issue. You wouldn't need much volume, just enough to hear yourself. For the student showcase, I'm sure there will be something righteous up on stage :) 

As far as what else to bring - definitely bring a guitar stand, no need to bring a music stand, Trevecca had plenty. Sometimes you might share with the person next to you, but music stands were no issue. 

Edited by colder
  • Like 1

• Member ID:  1,660
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  120
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  27
  • Birthday:  12/12/1957

Hi folks.   Just registered for my first gathering.    Trying to coax my wife into attending ,but alas, she is learning the violin.     Is there a list of topics that will be presented as part of music theory and will those topics be general enough to benefit any musician?    

@William Nelson  Hi, William, you’re in for a great time, whatever your background in music theory. Last year there were two workshops on theory. The basic one, led by Paulette Krenz, assumed no prior knowledge. Steve led the advanced one, which assumed some knowledge of notation, chord construction, and progressions. Each was about an hour for two successive days. These ran concurrently with two other workshops on other topics, such as songwriting or a blues jam. They all seemed well received, so I would expect Steve to plan something similar this time. We only have time to dip our toes in the water for any subject. The instructors and artists are all aware that the attendees span a wide range of knowledge and skill.

Slightly off-topic: @William Nelson , when I was starting out with music theory I bought a book called "Music Theory for Guitarists" by Tom Kolb. Those books are inexpensive and it gives a good introduction to theory. 😎

@DianeB and @Eracer_Team-DougH   Thanks for the input!  I think I'll travel with my acoustic.  It has a very nice hard case and it should travel fine unless it is REALLY abused in the baggage handling.  And, the suggestion to bring a stand.....well, I would have never thought of that!  Thanks DianeB.  I'm excited!  I've booked my flight and the advice about the dorm rooms is priceless.  I hope I don't snore too bad!  I'll bring a bunch of foam earplugs in case I get roomed with someone who needs to sleep.  LOL!  Can't wait! 

Edited by Curtis
  • Like 1

@colder Thanks!  Valuable advice.  I play way more electric than acoustic, but I'll just practice with my acoustic for the next couple months and get back into "feeling" it again.  I have a nice hollowbody that would be just as loud as an electric with a small amp.  That might work too.  I'll figure it out.  Thanks for the reply.  I can tell already from the forum that it's going to be a wonderful time with a lot of really nice folks.

• Like 1

Yeah, that is how I found it to be last year, @Curtis - wonderful time with some very nice people, and a lot of learning going on.

I think a semi-hollow or a jazz box might work well. I guess it all just depends on how much you need to hear your amplified tone in the larger sessions. If you're cool with hearing the acoustic tone only in the big room when we're doing drills and such, it'd be fine. In the smaller sessions, where we break up into whatever courses we've individually chosen, those are more like a classroom size. so you'd be fine there. 

I'm thinking of bringing my Strat since it's my best friend, but we'll see 😎

• Like 1

A reminder: the early registration discount ends April 14. Here are the workshop presenters Steve has lined up so far:

Guitar Care and Maintenance: Greg Voros
Songwriting: Kim McLean
Jazz Guitar: Mel Deal
Blues Guitar: Mike Pachelli
Fingerstyle Guitar: Collin Hill
Improvisation: Dino Pastin

Last year I attended the Songwriting session, and if you're at all interested in songwriting I found it to be a really good introduction to some of the "how" soft that. Plus Kim is a really fun and interesting lady. 

Mel Deal's jazz sessions were great too if you want to learn more about jazz or just take music theory further. (which are kind of one and the same)

And I learned from Collin at the fall finger style retreat, he's a great guy and an amazing player too. His music on Spotify is definitely worth a listen. 

The big session on Improvisation that Steve did with Dino Pastin last year was one of my favorite parts of the conference, that really helped me understand some new things. 

The only person there I didn't see was Mike Pachelli, not sure if he was there last year, but I didn't take any blues sessions. 

Greg's guitar care and maintenance was great, he did a really good job on both my guitars, but seeing how to care for and set up your guitars well is really valuable if you don't have any experience with that. 

On 1/15/2019 at 3:03 PM, Victor Edwards said:

All signed up and staying in the dorm.

Are the dorms air conditioned? 

Does anyone remember the answer to this? I am 95% sure they are air conditioned. I was comfortable in the room and I wouldn't do well in the summer heat in Nashville if there weren't air conditioning. 😬

Edited by colder

My only other thoughts about the dorms were that they were very basic, pretty much exactly as you remember dorm rooms being, including a basic twin bed. They provide sheets/blankets and a pillow and a couple of towels, but I made a note to bring my own this year. 

The bathroom is shared between two adjoining rooms, the same situation as when I was in college anyway, where you go into the bathroom and lock the other door, and unlock it when you're done. The sink and mirror are in each room though, so you can get in and out and do the rest of your morning stuff in your own room. 

I'm going to bring some snacks for the room/breakfast and a kettle so I can make coffee in the morning. There's a little coffee shop there on campus that has pastries and such, but if you want to save a few bucks this would be one way. 

For dinner it seemed that most folks split up in groups to do things around town. A few of us went to Hattie B's Hot Chicken one night, I went to Gruhn's one night where they let us walk around the second floor and see (and play!) instruments that cost more than my education, etc. But this is just for the dinner hour, really, there's a concert every night in the main hall at Trevecca with Steve, instructors and friends tearing the roof off the place. 

Frankly at the end of each day I wanted to go get some practice in and conk out. A few people hung out int he dorm lounge socializing and jamming I think, and you see some of that in the sitting areas around the conference too. Great days, full days, sleeping hard 👍

Edited by colder
  • Like 1

• Member ID:  1,739
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  10
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  06/29/1960

Hi all, I just registered for my first GG conference, I'm soo excited. Look forward to meeting you all and upping my guitar game. Eric

• Like 4

• Member ID:  4
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  490
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Days Won:  65