• Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  24
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  1
  • Device:  Windows

Hiya,

This is a new D-28 style build:  What is your target measurement above the bridge (assuming its above the bridge) for a steel string, acoustic, spruce top, neck set?

I've read everything from 1/64" to 5/64" above the bridge  

Edited by Kbore
Clarify

• Member ID:  328
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  95
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  11
  • Birthday:  01/10/1932

Hi, Karl. What you're asking is whether you want high action or low action. Here's the explanation as I understand it--but I'm not a luthier. Anyhow, here goes: For a true flat-top guitar, the height of the bridge and saddle is the thickness of the fretboard plus the height of the frets plus the additional height of the desired action--either high or low. Because I'm a beginner, I want my action as low as possible, without hearing any fret-buzz. There are advantages to both high and low action—but it’s possible to have an action too high or too low. Too high, it’s difficult to press the strings hard enough to fret them properly. Too low, I would get "buzz" and the guitar wouldn't sound the intended note.My Taylor 712-ce came from the factory with the action set at 1/8" inch (distance between bottom of the strings above the top of the fret--measured at the twelfth fret, which is where I measure the action instead of the saddle.) Hope this helps. If you want to change the action, the usual way is to adjust the neck truss rod--tighten to lower the action, loosen to raise it. I haven't done it, but if I wanted to, I'd take it to a luthier. Lotsa luck.

Edited by John Wells

• Member ID:  1,373
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4

Thanks for the reply JW.  I agree, you are correct about the saddle height. 

My question relates to the neck geometry, in relation to the bridge,  before the saddle is installed.   Before a saddle is installed, with a straight edge laid longwise across the fretboard and extending to the front edge of the saddle slot, where should that straight edge "hit" the saddle.   The bridge is not yet glued to the top yet, nor is the neck glued in place.    Consider the curvature of the neck and how a truss rod adjustment affects that curvature before you use it to adjust the action (bridge saddle may be the preferred way).

With that said, I probably need to clarify my question.  What is the optimum  target measurement above, the bridge, of a straight edge laid longwise across the fretboard and extending to the front edge of the saddle slot (assuming that straight edge is above the bridge) for a steel string, acoustic, spruce top, necvk set (D-28 style)?

Edited by Kbore

• Member ID:  328
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  95
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  11
  • Birthday:  01/10/1932

Hi Karl, I have absolutely no idea. I changed the bridge on my telecaster, and to set the saddle height, I took it to a luthier for intonation. Lotsa luck.

• 3 months later...

• Member ID:  594
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  49
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  2

John,

I'm curious to see your project. Shoot me a few pics if ya don't mind. Greg@gruhn.com

-G

• 3 months later...

• Member ID:  1,373
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4

Answering my own question here, ended up 3/32" above the front of the bridge. Posted Finished project pic elsewhere in this topic.  I'm happy with geometry, looks like it was the right call.