• Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,077
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  166
  • Device:  Windows

I was wondering if any members have or have used "Band In A Box" software? This software creates backing tracks in any key and virtually any style or genre. 

If so,  I'd be interested in your comments.  $130.00 in Canadian stores.

A written description can be found here;

https://www.long-mcquade.com/83457/Software/Scoring-Software/PG-Music/Band-In-A-Box.htm

Edited by NeilES335

• Member ID:  146
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  243
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  19
  • Device:  Macintosh

I have BIAB and have been using since about 1993 and still do.

I bought it as I wanted to rehearse songs for church and couldn't get the others in the band interested so this allowed me to quickly programme the song structure, chords and find a suitable style and, hey presto, in a couple of minutes I had a backing band that I could at least rehearse with.

BIAB has moved on from those days and the ability to add melodies is, I believe, now part of the package but I haven't got round to trying that. It also, if you buy the larger and more expensive versions, real drums rather than the MIDI drums of the earlier versions. The video above is a fair advert of what BIAB can do, just preparinga  song takes longer when you don't know where everything is as there are no so many styles and the indexing of them could do with updating.

I have always been on a Mac and I will say that BIAB has always been a Windows program poorly ported to the Mac, which just makes it clunky. My guess is that PG Music is still not a licensed Apple Developer abecause the windows don't work the way other software for Macs does. In a year ort two I will be replacing my now 7 year old Mac (with its 7 year old coopy of BIAB) and I will buy the latest BIAB version, so for all its misgivings I still like what it does.

The company is great in that the price for upgrades is not stupid like some software companies, so you can affordably start with a lesser version and upgrade, which is not upgrading the program but rather it is just adding more content - more styles and more real audio.

Here is a song I played (way back in '95) where the backing track was made in BIAB; the only live instrument was my guitar:

Edit: I just looked at your link. I buy direct from the authors, PG Music at http://www.pgmusic.com

Edited by Fretless
Adding a comment.
  • Like 2

• Member ID:  5
  • Followers:  6

3 hours ago, Fretless said:

I have BIAB and have been using since about 1993 and still do.

I bought it as I wanted to rehearse songs for church and couldn't get the others in the band interested so this allowed me to quickly programme the song structure, chords and find a suitable style and, hey presto, in a couple of minutes I had a backing band that I could at least rehearse with.

BIAB has moved on from those days and the ability to add melodies is, I believe, now part of the package but I haven't got round to trying that. It also, if you buy the larger and more expensive versions, real drums rather than the MIDI drums of the earlier versions. The video above is a fair advert of what BIAB can do, just preparinga  song takes longer when you don't know where everything is as there are no so many styles and the indexing of them could do with updating.

I have always been on a Mac and I will say that BIAB has always been a Windows program poorly ported to the Mac, which just makes it clunky. My guess is that PG Music is still not a licensed Apple Developer abecause the windows don't work the way other software for Macs does. In a year ort two I will be replacing my now 7 year old Mac (with its 7 year old coopy of BIAB) and I will buy the latest BIAB version, so for all its misgivings I still like what it does.

The company is great in that the price for upgrades is not stupid like some software companies, so you can affordably start with a lesser version and upgrade, which is not upgrading the program but rather it is just adding more content - more styles and more real audio.

Here is a song I played (way back in '95) where the backing track was made in BIAB; the only live instrument was my guitar:

Edit: I just looked at your link. I buy direct from the authors, PG Music at http://www.pgmusic.com

@Fretless  Thanks very much for your assessment. Great playing then.. I can only imagine how much better you are now! N

• Member ID:  81
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  73
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  05/16/1958

I have a Trio+ which uses BIAB technology. I like it, but am still trying to learn how to use it all.

40 minutes ago, tjmeyers said:

I have a Trio+ which uses BIAB technology. I like it, but am still trying to learn how to use it all.

I think thats the pedal @Eracer_Team-DougH has too. I think he's said its a bit tricky to get the beat and bass right for the song.

• Member ID:  6
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,056
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  150
  • Birthday:  12/14/1960
  • Device:  iPhone

I haven't used the trio a lot  (seems like I'm acoustic in the house, electric in the car. ) 

I think my strumming is consistent but I find I can't get the beat of the Trio down well.

but that's for a different thread discussion than this Band in Box.

• Member ID:  15
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  239
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  11/12/1962

Hi Neil . I dont have  the Band in a box but every time i see this Name i laugh / Reminds me of the song Devil went Down to Georgia. Then a Box Of Demons jumped in and it sounded like this.  It cracks me up.   Take Care. 

9 hours ago, Blue Dog said:

Hi Neil . I dont have  the Band in a box but every time i see this Name i laugh / Reminds me of the song Devil went Down to Georgia. Then a Box Of Demons jumped in and it sounded like this.  It cracks me up.   Take Care. 

I always thought... it must get a bit crowded in there!?

• Member ID:  275
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  213
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  11
  • Birthday:  07/17/1979
  • Device:  Macintosh

This is really interesting. I have been looking for ways I can practice like I was in a band, listening to the other instruments and keeping time and all. I will look into it!

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  10
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  309
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  36

I have just upgraded to the latest 2018 BIAB version. So far I’ve been using it mainly for the etudes in Richie Zellon’s BGIS course. I find it a very versatile tool. The RealTracks are outstanding, and so are the backing tracks you can quickly and easily create for yourself. However, the versatility goes way beyond simple backing tracks. The $130 basic package is probably more than enough for most of us. I think BIAB has become one of those must-have tools for some time now.

• Member ID:  1,285
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  42
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  3

An alternative to BiaB and Trio+ is iReal Pro. It lacks features compared to BiaB, but could be good enough if you just want to jam.

https://irealpro.com/