• Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  177
  • Birthday:  07/19/1948
  • Device:  Windows

Do you think you understand modulation pedals?  Or want to know more about them? Or starting out with pedals and don't understand the category, "modulation pedals".  

This video is for you. 

Actually, if you are early in L&MG and starting to think about pedals, and starting down that "rabbit hole" we call tone, there's nothing wrong with jumping ahead to session 15, "Electric Guitars - The Heart of Rock & Roll".  At least I don't think there is anything wrong with doing so.  In addition to the excellent lesson on power chords and everything else that makes R&R, Steve goes into a section he calls "Guitar Effects".  Here he discusses distortion, chorus, delay and reverb.  

Or, if you have started your pedal board, or are ready to, you need to study Steve's video on how to do just that, How to Build an Electric Guitar Pedalboard.   So much information for only $15.  

But now you want to know more about modulation?  As I said, this video is for you.  I don't think there is any more nebulous group of pedals than the modulation one.  We all know the chorus as a representative member of this group.  And it's one of the first pedals to go on most of our boards.  But what about tremolo, vibrato, rotary, phaser, flanger?  Josh Scott, of JHS Pedals, goes through all the different categories and types of modulation pedals.  And he does it in historical order, adding a little historical insight with each, making it even more interesting.

And he does it with his usual tongue-in-cheek humor.  If you are getting started on your (addictive?) journey on pedals and tone I'm confident this is going to add to your knowledge of modulation.

• Like 2

• Member ID:  6
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,056
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  150
  • Birthday:  12/14/1960
  • Device:  iPhone

Pretty good review

Just wish he played to show more then just doing arpeggios 

• Thanks 1

• Member ID:  13
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  304
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  16
  • Birthday:  10/03/1947

Yes, it is a good review. But I have taken a different path after falling into the pedal board "Rabbit Hole". I am a firm believer in the Multi effects processors (Personally, I use the Boss ME-80). If you wish to have that certain sound for a song that you are learning, find a patch for the song, save it and with a couple of clicks on the foot switch, bingo!  Building a pedal board gets very expensive vs a multi effects processor which will have more sounds than you could ever use.

Henk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Member ID:  12
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  184
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  177
  • Birthday:  07/19/1948

@Oldjock Henk, do you really think this is a different path?  Whether your pedal is the little box on a board variety, or the digital variety, don't you think an explanation of "what a phaser is" is just as valuable?  Or what a tremolo is? 

I don't see this video as exclusively for board users. In fact, near the end of the  video Josh pulled out a couple different multi boards he recommends for people to try to sample different effects.  The point of this was to allow those new to the "Rabbit Hole" the ability to sample different effects and decide if that effects would work in that person's signal chain. 

And I know exactly what you mean about the expense of a pedal board.  I don't want to know what I have in amps and pedals.  Look at the amps in my sig.  Then I currently have 7 pedals on my board, plus the Ditto Looper (which I have yet to use) and I have 3 or 4 pedals not on the board.  It is silly.  Today I played through the board and the Quilter and my homemade cab.  Since we moved in our new house I haven't played through the Blues, Jr., or the POD.  For home use I don't know why I need anything other than the POD.  Other than messing with pedals is fun! 

Jeff McErlain just did a great video on this.  Jeff has a (a couple?) Marshall Stacks, a Two Rock amp a Vox and I don't know what else.  At home all he ever plays through is his digital modeller.  He says that he will continue to only use a tube amp on stage but I sense he is rethinking that.  Maybe I am reading something into it that isn't there.  A great video about exactly what you are talking about.

If you don't watch the entire video at least listen to his gorgeous soloing during the beginning.

• Member ID:  13
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  304
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  10/03/1947

I agree with what you are saying Ron. I do think that every player should understand how different effects change the sound of the music. Pick any effect and you will find a wealth of information on the internet for free. My point about the “Rabbit Hole” was about spending a lot of money on pedals. The initial excitement (GAS) of adding a new effect pedal will dissipate and it will sit in the closet. That was my experience when the light came on. I put four pedals in a box, went down to L&M and traded them in on a Boss ME-80. It was simple to learn and easy to use. I prefer to spend my time learning how to play rather than tweaking the electronics.

Good video, excellent guitarist and speaks well to get the message across. The main emphasis was on the Fractal FM3 which is way out of my price range.

Simply put, learn about the various effects, then go straight to a multi-effect digital processor (there are many choices) that fits your budget and save money in the long run.

Henk

• Member ID:  6
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,056
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  150
  • Birthday:  12/14/1960
  • Device:  iPhone

Jeff Mcerlain my favorite Truefire instructor 

A good guitarist can quickly find  "their " tone, then there's us mortals. 

Digital modelers have come a long way since I purchased my Digtech RP50 poor sounding multi pedal. 

One thing with individual pedals ( besides the expense) you can quickly change pedal settings and pedal order without going through multiple menus 

I see a Fractal FM3 is like $1,000usd

Edited by Eracer_Team-DougH

• 3 weeks later...

• Member ID:  16
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  218
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Device:  Macintosh

On 7/25/2021 at 12:04 PM, Eracer_Team-DougH said:

Jeff Mcerlain my favorite Truefire instructor 

A good guitarist can quickly find  "their " tone, then there's us mortals. 

Digital modelers have come a long way since I purchased my Digtech RP50 poor sounding multi pedal. 

One thing with individual pedals ( besides the expense) you can quickly change pedal settings and pedal order without going through multiple menus 

I see a Fractal FM3 is like $1,000usd

Digitech îs responsible for keeping me away from modelers for years.  I forget which RP I had, but it was both the worst sounding and most fiddly box I ever owned.  

I didn't try a modeler again until the Pod HD500X.  That one was fiddly, but there were great sounds in there, so it was the gateway drug to the Helix that I traded the HD500x for.  I've primarily played the Helix for over 3 years now and it ended my chronic GAS for the latest greatest pedal.  There are a ridiculous number of options for just about any effect you can think of available in the Helix and they keep adding new ones in free software upgrades. I haven't bought a piece of gear since the Helix.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Member ID:  53
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  127
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  13
  • Birthday:  02/17/1966

I steer clear of anything Digitech mine also sounded awful. I've just traded my old and trusty Pod xt Pro to a Pod HD Pro x and couldn't be happier. Tweaking it is simple with the PC app and its great fun playing with the "pedal" settings.

I think its very important to find "your tone". Learning to play is so much more rewarding and inspiring when you like what you're hearing instead of some "plinky plunky" notes in the right order. When I bought my new Pod it took me 3 days to find the tone i was after, but so worth the effort because now its there instantly whenever I want it.

Edited by Ice9
  • Like 1