• Birthday:  01/18/1943

GUITAR AMPLIFIER ENCYCLOPEDIA

BRIAN TARQUIN

ALLWORTH PRESS
NEW YORK. NY
ISBN 978-1-62153-499-0

130 PAGES

AMAZON $ 9 - $20

Hi all,  after looking at the history of the electric guitar I figured I should also look at the amplifiers that they are required to use to present their sound.  The book Guitar Amplifier Encyclopedia reviews the history of the amplifier.  Brian Tarquin does an excellent job in providing colored pictures of all the great amps along with his extensive research and writing.  Many of the amps presented I had never heard of before reading this book.  Manufactures from all over the world are represented and what they did to amplify their products (pun intended).

The following is a list of the book chapters along with the topics covered in the chapter.

Chapter 1: Amplifier History
    The Beginning
    Early Amp Designers
    The Vintage Collector
    Les Paul
    Gibson

Chapter 2: Fender, King of Amps
    Innovation
    Guitar & Amps
    The Sixties
    CBS Era
    A Change is Coming”

Chapter 3: British Invasion
    Vox
    AC30
    Star Power
    Jim Marshall
    Early Days
    JTM 45
    Iconic Guitarists
    The Plexi
    JCM Series
    New Era
    Conclusion

Chapter 4:  Dr. Z: Rise of a Boutique Builder
    In the Beginning
    Fender’s Benchmark
    Tube Technology
    Analog vs. Digital
    Innovative Amps
    Inner Electronics of the Beast
    Proof’s in the Pudding
    UL Approved
    The Future

Chapter 5: The Players

Jeff Beck
    Zakk Wylde
    Hal Lindes
    Larry Carlton
    Gary Hoey
    Lelie West
    Randy Coven

Chapter 6: Amp Designers
    Ampeg     
    Carr
    Carvin
    CeriaTone
    Danelectro/Silvertone
    Divided by 13
    Egnater
    ENGL
    Epiphone
    Fargen
    Harmony
    Ibanez
    Industrial
    Jet City
    Jim Kelly
    Kustom  
    Lafayette
    Lectrolab
    Line 6
    Magnatone
    Matchless
    MESA/Boogie
    Orange
    Pignose
    Premier
    Paul Reed Smith
    Quilter
    Roland
    Selmer
    Seymour Duncan
    Soldano
    Sovtek
    Supro
    Tone King
    Traynor  
    Two-Rock   
    Watkins  
    Attenuators

Bibliography

O.K.  if you can’t find your amp in that list then you have one that is home made or a designer.  The author covers the history of each of the companies.  Many of the company owners worked for and developed amps for their competitors and then went out on their own.  Others developed an amp in their home shop and got individual requests to build an amp for a friend or a performer.  The requests snowballed to the point until the individual had to create his/her own company.

As you see above, Brian listed several guitar players (along with the amps they use or used).  I went on "You Tube" and downloaded two performances (trying to select 1 live presentation and 1 in the recording studio) for each of the players named.  It made it more interesting listening to the sounds they created as it related to a designated amp.  The author was good about presenting what equipment was used by what artist.  

I think you will enjoy this book, particularly if you are a solid body guitar person.

This is a nice coffee table book and it complements the other coffee table book I recommended earlier …Total Guitar by Terry Burrows.

Well, I have a bunch of things to get completed in the next couple weeks because I am heading back to school.  All the reading I have been doing has made me excited about getting back in the classroom … I have signed up for Music Theory I and Classical Guitar … I’ll keep you posted on how it goes.  

• Member ID:  78
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  83
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  4

BONUS

The other day my wife, Karyl, and I had the great opportunity to meet and have breakfast with Steve Krenz.  It was such a pleasurable morning I tried to think of someway I could share it with others.  So I dug into my stuff and I think I have found something ….

In my early days I boxed, did judo and karate.  I learned the concepts and philosophy of working in a dojo.  The following book will give you that opportunity while learning the guitar.  I hope you will enjoy which ever media you chose to use to expand your knowledge.  This book is great for the beginner as well as the professional.

Zen Guitar
Philip Tosio Sudo
Simon & Schuster
New York, NY

Amazon
$9.00

Thanks Steve for an enjoyable morning.

Brad & Kary Baughl Steve Krenz.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

ALFRED’S TEACH YOURSELF GUITAR TONE AND EFFECTS

Tobias Hurwitz
Ethan Fiks
Vivian Clement

Alfred Music Publishing
Van Nuys, CA

ISBN: 13:978-0-7390-9076-3

96 pages + CD

Amazon

$28

I have always like the “Alfred’s Teach Yourself …” book series.  Most of them are pretty direct and easy to follow.  This book is no exception.  The CDs they supply provides that extra information to help solidify the knowledge you gain from the book.  

We have looked at the history of the electric guitar and the amplifiers used to express the players music.  This book will take you a step further as it looks at the various tones and effect that can be produced by the use of multiple types of accessories you can attach to your guitar.  Once again I will start with the list of the books contents.  The reason I do this is it allows the reader to quickly see if a specific subject they are interested in is cover in the book.

Content

ABOUT THE AUTHORS
INTRODUCTION

Chapter i … THE BASICS
    The Electric Guitar
    The Science of Sound
    About Block Diagrams
    About the Order of Effects
    Tone: The Big Picture

Chapter 2 … WHERE IT ALL STARTS: THE GUITAR
    Stratocasters and Strat-style Guitars
    The Gibson Les Paul
    Archtops
    More Guitars
    Pickups
    Amplification
    The Combo Amp
    The Stack
    The Rack System
    Modeling Amps
    Boutique Amps

Chapter 3 … SPEAKERS AND CABINETS
    Cabinets
    Cones
    open Back or Closed Back?

Chapter 4 … PEDALS, PROCESSORS, AND WHAT THEY DO
    Fuzz
    Distortion
    Overdrive
    Reverb
    Delay/Echo
    Flanger
    Chorus
    Wah
    Auto-Wah/Envelope Follower
    Phase Shifter
    Noise Gates
    Hush-2
    Compressors and Limiters
    Equalizers
    Ring Modulator
    Talk Box
    Octaver/Harmonizer
    Tremolo/Vibrato
    Artificial Loads
    E-Bow
    Exciter/Enhancer
    Guitar Synthesizer
    Multi-Effects
    Licks used in This Chapter 

Chapter 5 … THE SOUNDS OF LEGENDARY PLAYERS
    The Carlos Santana Sound
    The Kurt Cobain Sound
    The Joe Satriani Sound
    The Jimi Hendrix Sound
    The Eddie Van Halen Sound
    The Stevie Ray Vaughn Sound
    The Randy Rhoads Sound
    The Metallica Sound
    The Boston Sound
    The Michael Angelo Batio Sound
    The Tom Morello Sound
    The John Frusciante Sound

Chapter 6 … MORE ON EFFECTS
    Distortion
    Chorus
    Flanger
    Delay
    Reverb
    Compressor
    Ring Modulator
    Pitch Shifter
    Wrap Up

Chapter 7 …  EVERYDAY SOUNDS
    Creaky Door
    Big Bell
    Jet Take-off
    Coyote Falls Off Cliff
    Speedster

Chapter 8 … SYNTHETIC SOUNDS
    Feedback
    Growls
    Squeals

Chapter 9 … THE ANIMAL KINGDOM
    Talking Cat
    Whale
    Elephant’s Roar
    Seagulls

Chapter 10 … OTHER INSTRUMENTS
    Cellos (Or other Strings)
        String Thing in A
    A Simple Oscillator
    Bonus Effect: Siren
    Electronic Kick/Snare
    Organ
    (Slap) Bass
        Basic Fake Bass
    Chimes
    DJ Record Scratch
    Synthesizer Pad
    Steel Drums (Pans)
        Panned Out
    Sitar
    Bagpipes
        Amazing Grace

Chapter 11 … Artists to Check Out
    Spotlight on Vinnie Bell
    Spotlight on Adrian Belew
    Other Artists Not to Miss

Chapter 12 … CREATING YOUR OWN HOME STUDIO
    Setting up Your Studio
    Direct Recording

Chapter 13 …     RECORDING YOUR INSTRUMENTS
    Microphones 101
    Mic Techniques
    How to Mic Amps for Electric Guitars

Conclusion

Once again this is a long list of items, but some are very short topics … for instance the list of animal sounds, other instruments etc. … the book describes how to make those specific sounds using your guitar.  

The authors do exactly what they say … they teach you about tones and effects.  As they stipulate the book suggests a lot of specific guitars and pieces of gear to obtain certain sounds.  They go through different boxes and explain what each does … you sure can spend a lot of money on boxes you may not need.  Read about and listen to the accessory you want before you start spending money.  Also the sound you hear from a box may not be the same you will get … if your review was done on a Strat and you own a Les Paul the sound could be totally different.  The authors provide songs you can look up on “You Tube” and you will be able to hear how the effect was used by one of your favorite players.  The book also presents a discussion on how the effect may sound using a specific “Lick” … what is neat is they also teach you the “Lick” so you can go to your favorite guitar store and test out the unit using their same “Lick”.

The book in addition provides a list of guitar players and discusses their tone and effects.  As I have done in the past I went on “You Tube“ and tried to find 2 presentations from each player (One live and one studio recorded) to listen to to form my own opinion.  Not all were favorites … in fact a couple had my toe nails curling and digging into the hardwood floor, but I could live with a couple others who’s performances I had never listen to all the way through.

This book is complemented vary nicely with Steve’s video “How to Build an Electric Guitar Pedalboard”.  I would recommend them as a nice packaged Christmas present.

This little book has a lot of information in it.  A perfect step from guitar to amplifier.  
Wait until next months book review … you will be glad you got this and read it.  

Have a great month!!!  

My wife and I are both back in school studying Music Theory.  I am also taking a course in Classical Guitar, while she is refreshing her memory on the piano.  We are having a great time and it wouldn’t have been without the encouragement provided by Steve and all the experiences the rest of you provide to “guitar gathering”  … thanks to all of you.

Oh, here is an extra for those that would like to dig further into the operation of things ….

Electric-Guitar-Amp-Handbook by Jack Darr

and   How Amps Work by Rob Robinette

Both of these pdf’s provide excellent information on how our amplifiers work  and both of them can be found “free” on the web … without having to do too much digging.  I printed both of them off and have them in plastic covers on my bookshelf.

TAKE CARE

• Member ID:  146
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  243
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  19
  • Device:  Macintosh

51KvaEro+gL._SX373_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Music Theory is written specifically for guitarists. It is thorough, includes lots of examples written in both music score and guitar TAB and has a 94-track CD with many of the examples. It can be used as a textbook or as a reference manual. I have it, have learned a lot from it and thus recommend this book if you do not already have something similar.

Great book ... I have a copy of it!!!

• 4 weeks later...

• Member ID:  1,476
  • Content Count:  15
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Joseph Alexander is an amazingly prolific writer.  I have his books on Jazz, Blues and Fingerstyle Blues as well as other titles.  Each are very well written.  I was not as impressed with his "Scales in Context" where the context is the CAGED System.  It makes sense if you rely on the CAGED System for all of your chords.  For chords and a better understanding of how the fretboard is layed out I really like "Fingerboard Breakthrough" by Howard Morgen.  It is available at TrueFire and his website, which is maintained by his wife since he passed away.

• Member ID:  10
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  309
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  36
  • Device:  Windows

On 10/29/2018 at 1:01 AM, FThomas said:

Joseph Alexander is an amazingly prolific writer.  I have his books on Jazz, Blues and Fingerstyle Blues as well as other titles.  Each are very well written.  I was not as impressed with his "Scales in Context" where the context is the CAGED System.  It makes sense if you rely on the CAGED System for all of your chords.  For chords and a better understanding of how the fretboard is layed out I really like "Fingerboard Breakthrough" by Howard Morgen.  It is available at TrueFire and his website, which is maintained by his wife since he passed away.

I’ve looked at Howard Morgen’s “Fingerboard Breakthrough” before. It’s an advanced approach, but so is Pat Martino’s “The Nature of Guitar” which I do have. One should not shy away from those approaches, but I think that the CAGED system should not be ignored, either. In fact, I think it’s a good idea to learn it first. You seem to be familiar with it, but your comment appears to imply its inferiority. Sorry if my interpretation is wrong. I just want to point out that the CAGED system is neither inferior nor superior.

Such greats as Joe Pass, Tal Farlow and Barney Kessel endorsed it, and guess what! FundamentalChanges recently put out the book by Martin Taylor called Beyond Chord Melody. He never had what you might call a “formal” guitar lesson, but when he came across the CAGED system he realized that it was an accurate summation of how he views the guitar.

Of course, you don’t have to use it just because so-and-so did or does. However, like it or not, name it CAGED or something else, that’s how the guitar’s fretboard is naturally laid out. Granted, the same may be said about other systems or approaches.

• Member ID:  1,476
  • Content Count:  15

10 hours ago, V7#5b9 said:

I’ve looked at Howard Morgen’s “Fingerboard Breakthrough” before. It’s an advanced approach, but so is Pat Martino’s “The Nature of Guitar” which I do have. One should not shy away from those approaches, but I think that the CAGED system should not be ignored, either. In fact, I think it’s a good idea to learn it first. You seem to be familiar with it, but your comment appears to imply its inferiority. Sorry if my interpretation is wrong. I just want to point out that the CAGED system is neither inferior nor superior.

Such greats as Joe Pass, Tal Farlow and Barney Kessel endorsed it, and guess what! FundamentalChanges recently put out the book by Martin Taylor called Beyond Chord Melody. He never had what you might call a “formal” guitar lesson, but when he came across the CAGED system he realized that it was an accurate summation of how he views the guitar.

Of course, you don’t have to use it just because so-and-so did or does. However, like it or not, name it CAGED or something else, that’s how the guitar’s fretboard is naturally laid out. Granted, the same may be said about other systems or approaches.

I agree with your summation.  The CAGED System is not inaccurate in the least.  It fails to fully explain the irregular standard tuning that makes it clear that a E, A and D are all the same chord construction across the neck:  Root 5 Root 3.  Moving across the neck you must raise the second string 1 semitone from the 3rd to 2nd string and you must drop the note from the 2nd to 3rd string one semitone when moving the other direction.  The CAGED System does not clearly show this.  

"Recognition of the half step (one fret) expansion that must occur between 3 & 2 to equalize the interval relationships between all of the adjacent strings is the key factor in understanding how 
and why all chord shapes, as well as scale patterns, appear as they do across the entire fingerboard."

Quoting from Fingerboard Breakthrough by Howard Morgan

• Member ID:  10
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  309
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  36

On 11/7/2018 at 2:44 AM, FThomas said:

"Recognition of the half step (one fret) expansion that must occur between 3 & 2 to equalize the interval relationships between all of the adjacent strings is the key factor in understanding how 
and why all chord shapes, as well as scale patterns, appear as they do across the entire fingerboard."

Quoting from Fingerboard Breakthrough by Howard Morgan

I fully concur with the quote.

THE NEW ELECTRONIC GUITARIST

Marty Cutler

Hal Leonard Books

New Jersey

ISBN: 978-1-4950-4745-9

211 pages + on-line media

Amazon

$9 - $20

What the heck did I get into??   Now I guess MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface) guitars and synthesizers have been around for over 30 years, but since I am an old conservative guitar player I never paid much attention to them.  And I am sure to many of you it is your thing.  Anyhow, I want to know all I can about the guitar so that means stretching to the future as well as going back in the past.

This is a very interesting book about sound, the guitar and everything you can do when you place a computer in between the two.  Elliott Randall (Guitarist for Saturday Night Live) made the following comments about the book …”This a wonderful grab bag of musical knowledge.”  He adds, “It is desired to demystify and share exciting areas where many guitarists have yet to tread … I would call this a must-read.”  I must agree with Randall I have yet to run across another guitar book such as this one.

As usual let me present the massive contents of the book and then I will make my comments.

Foreword

Acknowledgements

Introduction: Guitar Meets Computer

Chapter I … GUITARS, SOUND, AND SYNTHESIS

What Is Sound?

Pitch, Timbre, and Loudness

Timbre!

A Disturbance in the Force

The Body Electric

Start Here

Chapter 2 … WHAT’S A MIDI

Before MIDI

Along Came MIDI

How MIDI Works

MIDI Signal Flow

Control Changes

The Bends

You’re in My System

Guitars and MIDI

MIDI aLa Mode

Poly or Mono?

Chapter 3  GUITAR MEETS MIDI

Converting to MIDI

Why Wait?

First out of the Gate

Careful with That Axe

Axon

Chapter 4   WHAT IS A SYNTHESIZER?

Subtractive Synthesis

Subtractive Synthesis in a Nutshell

Your Basic Waveform

Filters

Amplifiers

The Envelope, Please

Key Follow and Velocity

Everything in Modulation

Additive Synthesis

Digital FM Synthesis

Samplers, Sample Playback, Wavetables

Modeling

Chapter 5  Guitar Controllers and Midi Converters

Around the Bend

Not for Synthesizers only

Reading a Midi Implementation Chart

Currently Available MIDI Guitar Systems and Components

How Do Computers Fit In?

Guitar-Processing Software

Editor-Librarian Software

Take Note

Chapter 6  THIS YEARS MODEL

Why Physical Modeling?

Roland GR-55

Boss GP-10

Boss SY-300

Line 6 Variax

Soft Sell

Chapter 7 GUITAR PROCESSORS

A Child’s Garden of Effects

Multi-Effects

Fractal Audio Axe Fx II XL

Line 6 Helix

Signal Flow

Native Instruments’ Guitar Rig

Now, About Those Presets

IK Multimedia Amplitube Acoustic

Chapter 8 WHAT IS A SEQUENCER?

Proto-Sequencers

How Do Sequencers Work?

Ableton Live (Mac, Win)

MOTU Digital Performer (Mac, Win)

Apple Logic Pro X (Mac)

Steinberg Cubase Pro (Mac, Win)

Presonus Studio One Pro 3 (Mac, Win)

Propellerhead Reason (Mac, Win)

Avid Pro Tools (Mac, Win)

Take Your Pick

Chapter 9  PLUG-INS AND SOFTWARE INSTRUMENTS

Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2

Arturia Matrix-12 V

Guitar Multitudes

Native Instruments’ Kontakt

Art and Architecture

Native Instruments’ FM8

Lin Plug Spectral

Korg Legacy M1

Chapter 10  GUITAR VERSUS SYNTH: WHO’S IN CHARGE HERE?

Envelopes Rule

Chapter 11  COMPOSING WITH A MIDI GUITAR

Virtually Bluegrass?

Singular Saxophony

Chords: Guitar versus Keyboard

Making the Pitch

Chapter 12  OTHER MIDI GUITAR APPLICATION

Practice, Practice

Take Note

The Global Studio

Virtual Virtuosos

Chapter 13 OUTFITTING YOUR COMPUTER FOR GUITAR

Interfaces

Chapter 14  GOING LIVE

A Brief Pep Talk of Sorts

Amplitude Adjustment

Chapter 15  TIPS AND TRICKS

Express Yourself

Small Consolation

Set Phasers to Stun

Setting up a Multitimbral Track in DP

Chapter 16  TROUBLESHOOTING

It’s a Hardware Issue

It’s a Software Issue

Latency

Appendix A: CONTROL CHANGE MESSAGES (DATA BYTES)

Appendix B: USEFUL WEBSITES FOR THE ELECTRONIC GUITARIST

Appendix ? Bonus Audio Files

Glossary

Whew, that is a long list but the book is comprehensive!!!  This book was not what I expected when I bought it, but I am glad I read it.  It is probably not the way I will go with my guitar, but I am glad to have the knowledge.

This book was published in 2017 and it dated the start of MIDI as being over 30 years old and I really felt behind in the times, but Marty Cutler did and excellent job of spanning those years and placing the reader at the front of a new door to open.  This is not unlike the movement of the old 5 and 7 string guitars giving way to the 6 string format.

Cutler states …”my smartphone and iPad are brimming with guitar-processor software and even an app that converts a normal guitar to a MIDI controller to play those synthesizers.”  He continues … “Computers, tablets, iPads and smartphones have taken the stage, enhancing and even replacing stomp boxes and entire guitar rigs.”  “For those who are willing to dig a little deeper, the digital-guitar connection opens doors to a truly mind-boggling wealth of new tone colors, rhythms, compositional and learning tools, collaboration, and so much more,  It’s the intentions of this book to lay out the scope of current and emerging digital technology, which can enhance the guitarist’s creativity in so many ways.”  I believe Marty has done just that … this is a must read for anyone who wants to be challenged by the future of a fantastic instrument.  You will, all the more, appreciate the complexity and the power of the guitar once you complete this book.  If you are new to the guitar and the use of a computer don’t worry this book is designed to walk you through the uniting process. Great read!!

I did check at the college where I am doing my music studies about taking some courses in MIDI, but I was told even though they have a formal course in music technology that since I was interested solely in the guitar I would be better off going to my local guitar store and have them show me what is currently being sold and to try out several different pieces of software.  And then if I had any general questions they could help me with … come back.  I am sure there are quite a few people in “Guitar Gathers” who can also answer any questions you may have … that is the neat thing about this group that Steve has assembled.

Don’t put away your techie minds … next month I will look at Guitar Engineering: Theory and Practice by Ricard Mark French.

Well once again I set this aside to go study and practice.  I have my formal courses in music theory and guitar and more course work found in the multiple programs Steve has produced to keep me busy.  I always learn so much as a student … the only way you learn more is by being a teacher.  Have a great month and go read a book in between practicing.   Happy Thanksgiving!!!

• 3 weeks later...

DECEMBER REVIEW

GUITAR ENGINEERING: Theory and Practice

Richard Mark French

Springer Science Pub

New York

ISBN: 978-0-387-74368-4

266 pgs.

Amazon

$13 - $ 45

Sure hope you like math because this is an engineering text.  Richard does stay away from calculus but the finite math and differential equations can get a little hairy. However, if you want to know about the guitar inside and out this is the only book you will ever need.  Richard teaches Mechanical Engineering at Purdue University and one of the courses consists of the students being required to build a guitar from scratch

The following is a list of the contents of the book.  As you read through the topics you will see this is no easy course.

Contents

Chapter 1    HISTORY OF THE GUITAR

Development of the Classical Guitar

The Modern Guitar

Chapter 2    ACOUSTICS AND MUSICAL THEORY

Basics of Music

Scales and Temperament

Quantifying Sound

Sound Radiation

Human Perceptions of Sound

Graphical Representations of Sound

Chapter 3    STRUCTURE OF THE GUITAR

Basic Components

Classical Guitar

Steel String Acoustic Guitar

Solid Body Electric Guitar

Archtop Jazz Guitar

Hybrid Instruments

Static and Dynamic Loads

Material

Chapter 4    DYNAMIC BEHAVIOR

Structural Dynamics

Strings

Analyzing String Dynamics

Experimental Results from Vibrating String

Real Strings and Intonation

Acoustic Guitar Bodies

Complete Instrument

Chapter 5    MODELS

Discret Models

Two Degree of Freedom (DOF) Model

Two DOF Example

Three DOF Model

Three DOF Example

Calculating the Effects of Design Changes

Finite Difference Models

Finite Difference Acoustic Models

Finite Element Models

Boundary Element Models

Geometry Models

Chapter 6    MANUFACTURING PROCESSES

Small Batch Instruments

Mass Produced Instruments

Build Variation

Materials and Construction

Response Variation Testing

Test Method Verification

Building in Good Tone

Chapter 7 …  SOUND QUALITY

Elements of Sound Quality

Time Domain Descriptions

Frequency Domain Descriptions

Psychoacoustic Descriptions

Subjective Rankings

Structural Characteristics

Acoustic Characteristics

Predicting Sound Quality

Chapter 8    GUTIAR ELECTRONICS

Inductive Pickups

Piezoelectric Pickups

Seismic Pickups

Pre-Amplifiers

Grounding and Isolation

Chapter 9    UNIQUE CHARACTERISTICS

Classical Guitars

Steel String

Solid Body Electric Guitars

Semi-Hollow Body Electric Guitars

Jazz Guitars

References

Index

O.K., O.K., I can hear the screams but seriously it is a great book and I really learned a lot from it.  Yes, the math is a real bugger, but if you have had high school algebra and you are not out to conquer each math formula you will do fine  The math shown explains the way various structural and sound evaluations are completed.  The author talks about the very very very small difference between an inexpensive guitar and one you would sell your house to purchase.  If you are drooling over a $10,000 guitar (short of it being owned by your ideal) you will no longer feel frustrated.

He compares the nylon classical, steel string acoustic, and solid body electric guitars.  Talking about their construction. The differences in mathematical values between Fender, Gibson, and other guitar manufactures.  Taylor guitar company provided a lot of pictures for the book, which I greatly appreciated and even found their web page because of the generosity they made in making the book.

Richard talks about the small one person guitar builder and how they manufacture guitars verses the large companies that use computers and laser cutters to provide similar guitars with similar sounds.  Wait … each guitar even though they meet similar mathematical standards is still unique … just as a child from the same family.

I underlined a slew of one liner comments that made the book well worth the cost and I am happy to have it on my shelf.   It would make a great Christmas present for the person who has everything guitar.

Well gang, I want to take a minute to wish all of you a very Merry Christmas and a successful New Year!!!  I started reading guitar books more than a year ago and it has been an interesting trip.  I have really learned a lot this past year and I hope I was able to share my knowledge in a meaningful way with all of you.

A special thanks to Steve and all those who share their time to provide this web outlet.

Take Care …. Brad

• 5 weeks later...

January 2019 Book Review

THE GUITAR: From the Renaissance to the Present Day

Harvey Tumbull

Charles Scribner’s Sons

New York, 1978

SBN: 684-13215-x (cloth)

168 pgs.

Amazon

$28 - $45

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL !!!   I had a great Christmas and received a lot of new guitar books to read. Here is another guitar history book.

I liked this one.  The approach is more specific than some of the other history books I have reviewed.  It selects specific individuals and follows there history and how they related to the development of the guitar.

Mr. Tumbull relates the structure of the instrument to the development of the music that was created specific for the guitar.

Chapters found in the book consist of the following:

List of Music Examples

Preface

1. The Development of the Instrument (I): The Vibuela and Early guitars

The Vihuela and the Viola da Mano

Four-course Guitar to Five-course Guitar

Fretting

Makers and Instruments

2.  The Sixteenth Century: The Vibuela and Four-Course Guitar

The Vihuelistas, their Music and Technique

The Four-course Guitar in Italy and Spain

The Four-course Guitar in France

3.  The Baroque: Era of the Five-Course Guitar

Juan Carlos Amat and the Spanish Guitar

The Spanish Guitar in Italy

The Spanish Guitar in France and England: Francesco Corbetta

The Spanish Guitar in the Netherlands and German

The Spanish Guitar in Spain

Eighteenth-Century Decline

4.  The Development of the Instrument (II): The Six-string Guitar and the Appearance of the Modern Instrument

The Addition of the Sixth String and Constructional Improvements

Unusual Guitars

The Modern Instrument - Torres and after

5.  Classical and Romantic: The Nineteenth Century

The Early Nineteenth Century Guitar in Europe

The Early Nineteenth Century Guitar in England

Tutors and Technique

Tarrega - Afresh Start

6.  The Twentieth Century:  A New Lease of Life

The Achievement of Andres Segovia

The Guitar in England

Present and Future

Notes and Reference

List of Plates

Bibliography

Index

As you can see the book addresses the development of the guitar from the beginning through the current concepts of classical design.  The electrical guitar is only briefly mentioned.

Complaints that the guitar could not be heard in large early music halls resulted in no orchestra music being written for the guitar.  Kind of sounds familiar … I need to electrify my jazz guitar so it can be heard in the band.

What, to me, makes this an interesting book was the cycles regarding which guitars were loved by the populous and which were not i.e. 12 string, 7 string, 4 string, 5 string, and finally the 6 string.

Turnbull says that “the compositions of  Classical guitarists Sor and Giuliani set a standard not matched by the other guitar composers of their day …. “.  The book offers multiple examples of various sonatas, etudes and extracts from various songs.  There is a real plus for those who can read music, but the non readers will also gain benefits from observing various changes identified by the author.

The author continues by stating … “Any assessment of modern guitar music is made difficult by the fact that it is still in the process of evolution.  The task is not lightened by the increasing output of music for the instrument from many parts of the world”.

I think you will find this little book to be interesting as it presents a different manner in observing the development of the guitar.

As I mentioned I received several guitar books for Christmas.  These books cover Jazz Guitar and Blues Guitar history and performers, utilization of a looper with various songs, music theory and tonal harmony, the history of the guitar in America, and the value of older guitars; so hopefully in the coming year I will hit upon a book that may interest you.

In year 2020 I am looking at reviewing the stacks of guitar instructional books on my shelves.  At this point I highly recommend starting with Learn and Master (L&M) … I will then add suggested supplemental programs and programs with various approaches to learning the guitar.  This material will be of benefit if you already have a grounded approach found in L&M.

If you look through Guitar Gathering you will find a “new topic” that I started last month and entitled “Interviews”.  Tommy Emmanuel is presently on the site and I am going to add a new interview … Merle Travis’s discussion about his early days.

I look at a lot of interviews and I figure I should be able to come up with at least one good interview each month.  My approach will be eclectic like the book reviews so I hope you will join in and put up some of the interviews you run across that you think members of our group would like and should view.

Take care,

Brad

• 1 month later...

Hi Gang,

Well, I have a “2 for “ you this month.  Two great little books (About 250 pages each).  These are books you can lay at your bedside and try to read a single story at night (Hard to keep from reading all the way through when you get your hands on them.)

These books are guitar stories … missing guitars and finding unknowns.  They make you want to get out of your chair and start crawling in old attics and dump sites.  Deke Dickerson did an excellent job in putting these collections of stories together.  He is involved in some of the ventures and especially in the second book readers of the first book sent him their tales.

Let me say the price truly varies and they can be hard to find.  I have a hard copy of the first book and I only wish all my other books were printed and bound as well as this production is done.  The second book I found on Barnes and Nobles Nook Book page and downloaded it.

Now I love books, but I try not to spend the egg money on them so do look around.  Both of these books are super but at a reasonable price.

Rather than listing the chapters etc. I am doing something different this month.  Attached you will find Deke Dickerson (the author) telling one of the type of stories that you can find in his books.

Great story about a lost the lost guitar of Speedy West ... you might find it if you dig around on the web ... maybe not.

Book Review

Strat in the Attic     $25.00  - $12.00  AMAZON (IF YOU CAN GET IT)                                                             $15.00 BARNES AND NOBLE NOOK BOOK

Strat in the Attic 2  $200.00+ USED AMAZON (IF YOU CAN GET IT)

$15.00 BARNES AND NOBLE NOOK BOOK

Author: DEKE DICKERSON

2013/2014

“These books are not all about Strats, but all guitars!!”  If you love guitars this is a must read!!!

• Thanks 1

• Member ID:  13
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  304
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  16
  • Birthday:  10/03/1947

This is not an instructional book but rather a biography of the Eagles. Last week we went to a Don Felder concert and thoroughly enjoyed the old Eagles songs. The gentleman next to me suggested that in order to understand the real story of the Eagles, I should read the book written by Don Felder, titled, "Heaven and Hell, my Life in the Eagles". It is a fantastic read which has given me new insight into how a band that fought so much, still managed to rise to Hall of Fame stature.

Henk

• Thanks 1

• Member ID:  12
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  184
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  177
  • Birthday:  07/19/1948

2 hours ago, Oldjock said:

This is not an instructional book but rather a biography of the Eagles.

Thanks, Henk.  I am just finishing up the Santana autobiography.  And I'm looking for my next read.  This is very likely heading my way from Amazon soon.

• 4 months later...

• Member ID:  466
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  24

Music Reading for Guitar

The Complete Method by David Oakes

$19.99 Amazon

a great book to learn how to read rhythms and more.

my first two songs were about “what’s the strumming pattern”. Not a problem anymore. 

This book doesn’t teach you to read the notes themselves. If you’ve learned what LMG teaches about notation, this book is a great next step. Even if you don’t read the notes, the rhythms are pretty easy to learn, and you can follow tab for the notes if you prefer.